The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Performing for 16-19 years old (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
femur
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
170 Posts

Profile of femur
Hi,

I'm a language teacher and I usually end my classes by doing a 30 minutes close-up show for my students just before summer holiday. I've been doing this for 6 years now and they love it. I just wanted to know if their are other people who do the same thing and also the kind of material you are currently using for that age group...

Thx
"I can't really think of a good quote to put here"
Ste
View Profile
New user
Italy
70 Posts

Profile of Ste
I think that this age has to be considered "adult" age and not "little darling" Smile

So I would use trick for adult people...

For example a Linking Ring routine involving a boy is very interesting and funny (for example, I use the Andy one).

Ste
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
I agree. I doubt even the legendary David Ginn or David Kaye could perform a kids show to this age group and not get eaten.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
249 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
I substitute teach regularly at a high school and I use magic in my classes all the time. I use some of the same strolling and/or stand-up magic I perform for adults, but I limit it to cards & coins, plus maybe some mentalism.

My most requested item? The coin that falls up. I also usually do a multiple selection routine during the last 5 minutes of class.

There's not a lot of money in substitute teaching, but besides being fun for me, I'm getting a lot of effective advertising for "fifth quarter," prom & graduation parties. It's like I'm being paid to advertise... plus the fact that I do actually teach. (I generally sub in math & physics classes; I am certified to teach physics and therefore can keep the class moving rather than just doing silly busywork on a day when the teacher is out.)

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
[email]jmt@turnermagic.com[/email]
www.turnermagic.com
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I do tons of 18yr old parties; I just do my 40mins adult cabaret act. It always goes down well.

When I did the first few I was a little worried that they might think magic was a little uncool. But, actually, they love it.

I have a lot of comedy in my show, I embarrass no one and the act is clean.

I would say try and get on early (before they eat) because once they're 'tanked up' it could be a lot harder.

Phillip
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I've played organ for pensioners, worked in bands for middle-aged functions, and entertained little kids for sooo long. But you have got one over me here PB. I don't think I could face 16s to 19s even if I was substantially 'tanked up'. Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I started 18 yr old parties by the side door so to speak. if I had had a call simply asking for magic for an 18 year old, I probably would have tried to sell close up. If they had asked for cabaret I would probably have made an "I am booked" excuse. But a very good client rang me to do their daughter's 18th saying they're having a disco and we wanted something for the older members of the family, Mam, Dad, Grandma and other family and friends.

But when I got there and set up I found several of the 18 yr old girls where asking me if you need assisants pick me. To be honest I find that if you pick the right ones 18yr olds are far less intimidated helping you than older folk. (Usually I do not pick people that ask as they can sometimes try to take over but with this age group I do pick the ones that ask they tend to be very attractive females and big musclular men that you think would not ask).

Most of the comedy I use is situation / visual rather than one liners. I like to put people in a position to react and bounce off that, the show is sound without helper reaction, but better with good helpers, if you see my point.

Anyway, this booking led to others which led to me overcoming my fears of performing for this age group.

Phillip
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
P.B. is right on with his advice about doing shows for older teens.
At that age, they consider themselves "very cool", so go with your adult act and treat them with respect (as one should ANY audience).
Interactive comedy works better than one-liners, as P.B. says.
And, by picking the most attractive girls and most athletic boys, P.B. hit on a key factor: Peer pressure.
These people are usually the leaders and, if the rest see these people going along with it, then it becomes all right to join in.
But P.B. is also right when he says most performers wouldn't do a show for teenagers unless they were painted into a corner and there was no way of escape!
Give it a try; you might like it!
Smile
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
P.B, you should probably write a book on this subject!! I have performed for this age group before, and would have loved your advice then!

One of the things you said that made a lot of sense was 'I embarrass no one, and the act is clean'.

This is a great point for all magicians in all types of shows. Never embarrass your audience, they are there to be entertained, not laughed at! Would you pay to go somewhere and be laughed at by a crowd of people? (Laughed at in a bad way, not laughed at because you are funny).
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
I do my 'adult' show for anyone over 16.
They consider themselves 'too old'
for "Kid Stuff'!
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
I work generally in Childrens Church doing small tricks to further my illustrations.

I was also an instructor in the Army for 4 years, and a trainer of young (and old) trooops for 14 years.

You are talking apples and mack trucks here. It's almost as if they become a different species somewhere between 11-12 and 15-16. Anyone 16-19 is an adult, at least in there basic cognitive processes, and you would have to treat a show for them as you would any adult group that you were going to present to.

I couldn't agree with you more on the respect aspect of the shows.

Great ideas for volunteers, I'll have to remember them.

Steve
zzz
CWMoss
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of CWMoss
Definitely adult stuff
20Robert04
View Profile
Regular user
Midland, MI
152 Posts

Profile of 20Robert04
I'm 18 right now, and I have performed for a lot of my classes. I find that cards work great, as well as pretty much anything.

If you make it fun for them, they will enjoy it.

Also tricks where you need spectators work well, because once one person is picked, they will all want to come up.

Paul
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
646 Posts

Profile of JordanB
I think gambling themed routines work well, though, that might not go over so well in schools
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
I agree with gambling routines. Especially since games like texas hold'em poker are becoming so popular for teens.

The poker routine from the ETMCM series has played GREAT for my friends and classmates. It almost seems that they enjoy tricks that appear to require an extreme amount of "skill" over "hocus pocus and with a wave of my magic wand" magic like in our kid shows.

Sam the Bellhop or similar is another winning trick with cards for people my age.

Just keep it very visual and it should go great.

Evan
naturalturn
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of naturalturn
In this month's April (2004) issue of MUM, regular columnist Hugh Turley has a cool mental-type card effect that's very baffling, and very impromptu, tho it destroys 6 cards. It would be suitable for a classroom-type venue.

Cheers,

naturalturn
www.facebook.com/RayWongMagic
When Magic Went WONG!
wisdom
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of wisdom
I had no idea that Joe Turner was a teacher. You learn something new every day.

I see absolutely no problem whatever doing shows for 16 to 19 years olds. They are not kids anyway. You do your adult show for them. If you are a good entertainer they will love it. They may possibly tend to a little good natured rowdiness but it is nothing an experienced showman cannot handle.

However I will tell you the best type of show you can possibly do for this age group. Hypnotism. They are the best hypnotic subjects imaginable.

In North America (not the UK, I don't think) hypnotists are hired all the time for high schools. These shows go over extremely well and are an absolute riot. You do have to be careful the kids don't hurt themselves though since they get quite carried away.

Of course you have to become a stage hypnotist to do this so my advice is not really practical for most people.

If it is a small group do sleight of hand close up magic. They will love it.
A larger group just do your regular adult magic act. I don't think they will appreciate Run Rabbit Run!
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
In the UK, the law says 18 is the minimum age for hypnosis shows.

Phillip
wisdom
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of wisdom
I know that, Phillip. But the booker probably doesn't.
I was never a great one for being law abiding anyway.

And you can do what you like in Ireland, north and south, because they have different laws. Scotland also has a different legal system so there may be exceptions there tool although I am not sure. Poor old Wales still seems to be under the cruel English yoke, of course.

Of course, hypnotism has a bad reputation in England anyway so you probably won't get booked in the first place.

Oh well. Better keep to magic. Or you can always bore them stiff with mentalism. I do know a fine mentalist who did a show for this age group. He told me that the girls loved it and the boys hated it.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Quote:
Oh well. Better keep to magic. Or you can always bore them stiff with mentalism. I do know a fine mentalist who did a show for this age group. He told me that the girls loved it and the boys hated it.

Hi,
Yeah girls realy go for something like Doc Hilfords Cinderella act
Phillip
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Performing for 16-19 years old (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL