The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Premonition" by Eddie Joseph (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Special user
Beverley, UK
856 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
not new, but a classic...a must for any card man.

Anyone calls out any card. No force of any kind. You immediately hand them the deck and tell them to go through it and take out the selected card.
They do not find the card in the deck at all...you produce it from your pocket! (or wherever)
A squeaky-clean, no force, no sleight, no gimmick miracle!
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
No gimmick? No sleight? If there's no sleight then how can this be done at all? If there is no sleight there's gotta be some kinda gimmick right? Sounds great
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
Amadeus_Magi
View Profile
New user
Jakarta, Indonesia
100 Posts

Profile of Amadeus_Magi
Hey man! That's sure sounds good. No gimmick and no sleight.... do you mean Ed Marlo's Premonition or what? Where can I find it?
Magic Beyond Your Imagination
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Special user
Beverley, UK
856 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
I told you guys it was a top effect...and it is!

The effect is by Eddie Joseph and can be found on numerous web site dealers...

Remember...no gimmicks...no sleights...works 100% every time...anyone names any card...no force of any kind...

This gets em every time!!
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
The description of PREMONITION is quite accurate. I might add that ordinary cards are used.
Eddie Joseph's PREMONITION came out in the 50s. It's original "inspiration" is Bill McCaffrey's THE PRIZE WINNER in Greater Magic. (The two tricks are virtually identical).
Since then several variations have appeared here & there. George Armstrong had a version, and more recently, Ted Lesley published his version in PARAMIRACLES.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
The difference between the two effects was primarily in the presentation. Perhaps the last marketed variant on the theme to be marketed was Peter Duffie's "Vanished or Gone" effect (which also appears in his excellent and highly recommended book "Effortless Card Magic.)

In Nelson's "Still More Miracles in Mentalism" J. G. Thompson discusses the effects and suggests what he thinks are improvements and then another variant of his own, "The Little Man".

Paul
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2016 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Mark Strivings also has a version, whose name escapes me at the moment. In it, the missing card is found in another deck of a different color. His presentational tips are also very good.

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
I recommend the version called Pro-monition in Ted Lesley's "Paramiracles". If you are interested in mentalsm (even faintly) you must have Ted's book.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2094 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Mark Strivings' very strong version is called Challenge Name-A-Card, and can be found in several places (some of which are out of print):

Mental Melange lecture notes (1996)
To Pay The Price book (1997)
Psi Sampler lecture notes (2002)

Mark also sells the effect separately, with the necessary cards. He can be reached at [email]markyapril@aol.com[/email].

... Doug
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
MikeM
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
110 Posts

Profile of MikeM
If you wan't to get hold of Mark Strivings Challenge Name-A-Card your best bet is to buy his book called "to Pay the Price".

Not only will you get various variations of this effect but in addition are variations of two other Commercial Effects "The Stealth Prediction" and "Any Card at any Open Prediction"

MikeM Smile Smile
magiclee
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of magiclee
Does "Premonition" by Eddie Joseph use a card i***x?

magiclee
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5272 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
MagicLee, No, Joseph’s Premonition does not use the item mentioned. It is far more subtle than that. Although you could put together a Premonition like effect using an i***x.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
alex keal
View Profile
New user
Whiteford, Maryland
35 Posts

Profile of alex keal
Premonition is such a good trick, I highly recommend anyone get the Eddie Joseph manuscript, put this together, it does use regular cards, then PM martini and ask what he is using for the closer. For those of you in the know he has cut it in half. That's about all I can say without giving it away, which I don't think we are allowed to do here?
All the Best
Alex
card crazy
MikeM
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
110 Posts

Profile of MikeM
wulfiesmith

If you want to see the basis of this effect look up "Greater Magic" by Hilliard p564 - it's called " The Prize Winner"

MikeM

Smile Smile
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
No, i don't really like it. There is way better ways to do this effect. I think this is a little impractical. It isn't that clean. Once, i got it i gave it away. I personaly wouldn't get it. Just my thought.
MikeM
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
110 Posts

Profile of MikeM
For an alternative approach I would recommend you get hold of Ted Lesley's Cabaret Mindreading Video there's a nice variation on there entitled Pro-monition.

It's Good

MikeM Smile Smile
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I used Premonition years ago and loved it. It was very well received. In fact, much of Eddie Joseph's material is great. I started buying all of his stuff while in high school and college. I used to buy his stuff from Abbott's. They carried the most complete line of all of his items.
medaca
View Profile
New user
france
37 Posts

Profile of medaca
premonition is great.i used to perform and i got always great reactions
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
hahaha.... yeah, i love carrying around fifty two decks in my pocket.... wahahaha
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5272 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
hUrOn,good guess, but not even close! You will not carry 52 decks (or 10 dsecks or 5 decks or...)to perform Premonition.

It is much more subtle and clever than that.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Premonition" by Eddie Joseph (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL