The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Premonition" by Eddie Joseph (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
I think that upon first reading the mauscript, and seeing HOW MUCH work is involved, one gets easily put off by this effect...but I think that those who put it off will never see the increadible reactions this generates. It's not ALL THAT impractical if you think about it.

Cheers,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Bannon has a fairly nifty variation in "Smoke and Mirrors" I believe.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
Harry R
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Harry R
I've found this trick much easier to perform in the colder winter months. Those in the know will know what I mean. My big winter coat doesn't just keep in the warmth. Smile
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I have a method in which a cased deck is placed on the table. You remove your wallet (which is not bulky AT ALL), and place it on the table. Both are on the table, and are there in FULL view before ANYTHING happens. You tell the spectator that you removed one card from the deck, and put it in your wallet. The spectator then thinks of a card. The spectator removes the deck from the case, and deals the cards one at a time to the table. There are only 51 cards. Their thought of card is missing. You then open your wallet, and remove the card. It is the thought of card.

This has FRIED every single magician AND lay person I have shown it to. It is fast becoming one of my favorite effects. I am going to include this in my forth coming book, The New Mind Control. Smile

However, I do not have a title for it. Any suggestions? Smile
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
On 2002-12-07 23:22, dpe666 wrote:
However, I do not have a title for it. Any suggestions? Smile

Since the effect sounds like a cross between Premonition and something from Killer Konceptions, how about Pre-Konception?

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
I regularly perform the "Supreme" version Richard Marks has in his "Mind Warp" book. I usually use the two-deck bridge sets that have contrasting theme or color backs. Also, both decks are side-by-side in the same case for ease of carry. Once made up it is always ready to go!
Funny to get on and read this thread as I was just putting a set together with red and blue Carnival cards for a cruise I'm taking next week. ("Hey, guys, look at what I just picked up in the gift shop") Smile
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2002-11-10 13:58, Quinn wrote:
Mark Strivings also has a version, whose name escapes me at the moment. In it, the missing card is found in another deck of a different color. His presentational tips are also very good.

Quinn

Repro in England have been selling this in England as "Two Deck Coincidence" for over 20 years.

Recently while re-reading Peter Duffie's "Card Compulsions" I noticed Peter had a reference to the effect there, pointing out the "effect" was mentioned in Hofzinser's Card Conjuring.

Elsewhere on the forum I think there is a reference to Chris Kenworthy's new update on the effect which is being marketed.

Paul.
PaulEds
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of PaulEds
The Magic of Eddie Joseph, reprinted by Supreme Magic in 1978 is fast becoming one of my favourite books. Excellent, unusual effects, ingenious methods and interesting presentations.

Yogi's Gaze, where you mysteriously cause a newspaper to burst into flames just by staring at it is incredible.

Are there any other Eddie Joseph books, or has anybody got any further info/biography about him??
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Lots of Eddie Joseph booklets published by Abbotts. They were working on a combined publication of all these but I'm not sure if anything came of it. Supreme dealt with these in England and Magic Books By Post took over their book stock. Get their web page up and do a search on Joseph, I'm sure you'll find a few titles.

Paul.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
No one has mentioned Peter Warlock's "Strangers in Paradise" which uses two decks, someone takes card from the red deck and then deals through the blue deck only to fond that the only card missing is the one they took from the red deck UNTIL they turn it over and discover that it has a blue back too. And yes, both decks are always on the table and you add or take away nothing.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Both Richard Mark's and Ted Lesley's versions involve the one card that is missing show up as the stranger in the other deck. Mark's is very easy as no math is involved, only a simple one word mnemonic or you can even leave that out and throw in a bit of business that is just as effective AND get a nice laugh-something rare in most mentaism routines....well worth checking out...
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
MikeM
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
110 Posts

Profile of MikeM
dpe666 - you state:-

"The spectator then thinks of a card. The spectator removes the deck from the case, and deals the cards one at a time to the table. There are only 51 cards. Their thought of card is missing. You then open your wallet, and remove the card. It is the thought of card".

As the above occurs after the cards and wallet have been placed on the table can you state whether the card is thought of without any handling of the deck by you and whether the cards are dealt face up or face down by the spectator during the count.

Your description of the effect seems to omit the relevant as Midflight observed??

MikeM

:bikes: Smile
Furniture
View Profile
Elite user
London
415 Posts

Profile of Furniture
I love this trick. If somebody ask me for only-one-trick mental session I hightly recommend this one. But for me is not practical if you are going to do a long sessions. I like magic with a normal or borrow deck, so if you want to amaze just do a mental force derren brown style. Anyway this tricks fools magician, humans and aliens, so coool!
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I agree with Logan, and others about the impact of this effect.
My biggest "problem" is convincing some audience members that the selected card was NOT pre-arranged with the person that named the random card in the first place!
Seriously, the last time I did this, there were a few people that came up to me afterward and were convinced that I had a plant or stooge to assist me.
If you perform it make very very certain that you have no direct influence on the chosen person who will be calling out a thought of card.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hi,
In my version of the trick the thougth of card turns up in my outside jacket pocket and a spectator takes it out himself.
During the whole presentation I never (!)touch the cards. The assisting spectator on stage does everything on its own.
It´s NOT the version sold by Abbott´s or other magic dealers. The Version I use I had bought many years ago at Harry Stanley´s "Unique Magic Studio" in England and it is called "Eddie Joseph`s New Premonition". This is the version I use for very special reasons.
You`ll find out what it is, if you consult my book or the DVD´s.
I assure you, when you do it exactly as I described it, it will create a sensation. In a short while I will put a booklet on the market in which I will describe all touches and bits of business which are not described yet.

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

ESPecially & MAGICally Yours

TED LESLEY
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I have a version that creates a good impact. I randomly chose three volunteers. I ask them to think of a playing card. I look at each one then ask them to think of another then another. I then look at each person ask one to sit down. I ask the remaining two to go back to card before they had in their mind. Look into their eyes and ask another to sit down. I then ask the remaining person to name the card on their mind....and the rest is the normal preminition..

This realy builds it up and makes it even more impossible..

Shrink
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
PREMONITION MANUSCRIPT is on sale on the magic Café in this forum ===Books & lecture notes for sale or trade..
Matt Watts
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Matt Watts
Premonition does involve one little sleight.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
I have been getting mad reactions from this routine lately using Barrie Richardson's approach from Theater Of The Mind.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I performed Eddie Joseph's Premonition last year at one of the large conventions. I took home 2nd place in close-up, I think partly due to this routine. It's strong, and there are a lot of magicians that aren't familiar with it. It's true, there are no sleights involved, but it certainly can't be performed carelessly. As a performer, you'll actually have to use your brain...but not too much. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Premonition" by Eddie Joseph (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL