The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Premonition" by Eddie Joseph (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
Based on the complexity that Eddie Joseph applied to creating his effects, no doubt if he had lived longer he’d have invented computer programming. Premonition is an example of that depth of his mental application.

I appreciate the feed back from café members who experienced positive reactions in real world performances. However, based on the necessary detailed workings, it’s not an effect for everyone. After the first read through of the print out, I admit I put it aside for a while before deciding if it was “right” for me.

After weighing in the details and, even though it undoubtedly performs as written, I’ve decided not to make the investment. (Also, I don’t always wear the jacket necessary to accomplish the handling)

With positive responses to Eddie Joseph’s Staggered, I’ll continue to perform that minor miracle and leave Premonition for others to enjoy.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24204 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The description originally posted for Premonition is not entirely accurate. There is a gimmick, of sorts.

I worked out a version of this that required very little mental calculation, showed it to Ted Lesley, and he told me that his method was simpler. In truth, Ted's method was simpler FOR HIM! Smile

After all, Ted memorized the combinations of all the locks in the assisted living facility where he spent his last months. He was a whiz with numbers and rapid calculations.

I won't tip the setup here, but if you have In a Class by Himself look on page 151.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Special user
Beverley, UK
832 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Hmmm ...
it took me by surprise to see this thread "come to light" again.

People put their "nickle in" and a great debate follows.
Which goes to show, you can't put a good man down ... or a good card effect for that matter.

However. I will say this. For the card man starting out. Or for the mechanic who's missed this school of thought. You will not go wrong to enlighten yourself to the genius behind this effect.

You can go around the world on this tank of gas!
Did they? Will they? You bettcha!!

As a card mechanic for 30 years ... this gets my thumbs up
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4833 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Check this out!

http://trickshop.com/premonition.html

A very good effect.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Special user
Beverley, UK
832 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Wow Kjellstrom...
I checked the website....that's the item alright and at $4.95 it is a steal.

an absolute MUST ... and you get 2 routines with it ... the intrigue goes on!
Remember, no forcing of any kind. No sleights of any kind. Any card may be chosen.

wulfiesmith
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
4833 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I use a memorized stack for this routine, my own twist. And it works.

I worked on a cruiseship/ferry between sweden and denmark longtime - I did Premonition every single show. It was a good effect for that kind show.
The bartender in the bar in the entertainment room was amazed by that particular routine: Premonition. He told me that he was watching like a hawk but he couldn't see "anything".
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
It was a very expensive manuscript. I think it sold sold for $5 in the '50's ...equivalent to about $50 today, might even have been $10...and back then you didn't have that much discretionary loot.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
BroDon
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of BroDon
No doubt that Premonition is a rock solid killer...

On those occasions that I do mentalism with crads, it's my closer...doesn't get any stronger or simpler!

Br. Don
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
4833 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I did this effect at my cousins 30th birthday some years ago.
Many people in the audience was freaking out by this effect.
Om my god and how the ^^^^ did he do that - FACES !!!
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Thanks, Mats, for pointing out that Trickshop sells the Premonition manuscript. I've just downloaded it and am very pleased to have it. I owned it as a kid in the 1960s, but loaned the instructions to someone and never got them back.
Matt Watts
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Matt Watts
It is my favorite mentalism effect so far.It is not for everyone as stated above but it is a go getter.
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1100 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
The effect is sold here:

http://www.trickshop.com/premonition.html

but this line in the description I believe is not true:

"At no time does the magician touch the deck."

any feedback??
remember....always use your powers for good!

http://www.mentalvoyage.com
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2288 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Quote:
On 2009-08-30 14:31, pmc magic wrote:
The effect is sold here:

http://www.trickshop.com/premonition.html

but this line in the description I believe is not true:

"At no time does the magician touch the deck."

any feedback??

Well, once he sets the deck out for use in the effect, he does not need to touch it... Although he will probably touch the deck when the effect is over... Just to put it away...
Pretty good effect overall... It has been a crossroads effect for many years... A lot of different performers have different takes on it... John Born has some interesting variations for example.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21787 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The best version that holds to the original effect of Eddie Joseph's is Stan Loberstein's "Premonition Outdone" the effect is available from Stoner's Funstores, email Dick Stoner at dickstoner@dickstoner.com , it is not on their web site at http://www.stoners.com It is much easier to perform. The manuscript is available from Abbott's if you want the original. Very stong effect.

Mike'Gordon'Miller was to put together a book of all the Eddie Joseph material he has given to magic magazines, and that Abbott's Magic Co. sells in booklet form. Unfortunately, Gordon has fallen short of his promise and has not been working on the book for 20 years. He is retired now from Abbott's, but says he does not have the time to work on the book.

Being no one knows the name of the Eddie Joseph any longer. I don't think the book will ever be completed. To bad he has some unique ideas.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16927 Posts

Profile of joseph
Abbotts carries Premonition and also Premonition Outdone ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11516 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2009-08-30 20:57, joseph wrote:
Abbotts carries Premonition and also Premonition Outdone ...

ABBOT's is the "Magic CAPITAL of the World". Do they mean Capitol?
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11516 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2009-02-08 20:38, Kjellstrom wrote:
Check this out!

http://trickshop.com/premonition.html

A very good effect.

Anyone have this version and the Richard Mark version? How do they compare? Same thing? I have the Richard Mark version and it may be good enough.

j
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1155 Posts

Profile of Corbett
PMC Magic,

The line "At no time does the magician touch the deck" is completely and 100% accurate. I perform this routine. I use 3 spectators in the audience to arrive at a completely random card (color, suit, value). I also use a nerf ball tossed into the audience to locate the first spec. That spec that chooses others to help him/her.

When the card is determined, I throw a cased deck of cards on the table, and they join me on stage. I don't touch the deck again.

1. SPECTATOR takes deck out of case.
2. SPECTATOR then looks through all cards for theirs, and it's not there.
3. SPECTATOR counts cards slowly to find 51 cards.
4. I reach into my pocket, and out comes the selected card!

Strong? Uhh, yeah.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1192 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
I used to combine Premonition with Bob Kings impromptu Brainwave deck. It was a very powerful thought of cards accross effect.

Steve
Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Profile of Dave McFarland
I have a question about performing this effect: doesn't having the spectator look through the deck then counting 51 cards take a long time. What do you do to keep the performance from losing momentum for those who are watching?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Premonition" by Eddie Joseph (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL