The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Premonition" by Eddie Joseph (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
docguitarman
View Profile
Elite user
Thousand Oaks, California
486 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Is it time to resurrect this thread? Trickshop has the Eddie Joseph Trilogy of Premonition, Bombay and Staggered on sale for $6.95. Minds in Collusion is also included.

https://trickshop.com/eddie-joseph-trilogy.html

Phil
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Here is my version that I put in my book Lost In Thought:

SWAP
THE WHAT: You take out your wallet and say that you had a premonition of a particular card and you placed that card in your wallet. You open your wallet and take out the one card that is seen in there... it is face down so it is still a mystery card.

You take out a deck of cards and you shuffle them a bit and then spread them face down on the table. You ask one spectator to simply push out any card from the spread and push it towards you.
The spectator pulls out one card and hands it to you so that it stays face down the entire time. You take that card and put it into your wallet to replace the card that was just there.

For the first time you turn the mystery card around... it is the 3 of Clubs. You have the spectator deal the cards face up and count them as he is dealing, but he is to stop when he gets to the 3 of Clubs. He does this and ends up counting 51 cards and never sees a 3 of Clubs.

You say, “I guess the premonition was right”, and you put the mystery 3 of Clubs into the pack. You then open the wallet to check and, sure enough, it was the other 3 of Clubs the spectator gave you.

THE HOW: My friend, Federico Luduena, is in love with the Premonition effect and has researched various combinations and ideas. I decided to throw my hat in the ring... maybe it’s not a very impressive hat, but it gets the job done.
As some have already deduced, the wallet is any switching wallet like a Himber one, and you have a 3 of Clubs inside both compartments of the wallet. The deck is tricked up in a simple manner: take out the 3 of Clubs and put in one duplicate of any other card. I suggest making it a card that won’t stand out like a 2 of diamonds or 5 of Spades.

You are ready to go. Take out the wallet and tell your story. Open the wallet. Either side is fine, but remember which side you just opened. Take out one of the 3 of Clubs and put it face down. Shuffle the deck, but don’t go crazy and do remember where you put the two duplicate cards in the deck. You don’t want to shuffle in a way that when the spectator deals through he suddenly sees two 5 of Spades near each other.

The spectator will pull out any card, it doesn’t matter which one, and gives it to you. Place that card in the empty compartment in the wallet and close it up. Have the spectator deal the cards face up and count. He will now count 51 cards and see no 3 of Clubs. Turn over the mystery card and you’re done. Further prove that it was the right premonition by opening the other side of the wallet and displaying the other 3 of Clubs.

The reset is simple: Take out the card the spectator gave you from the wallet and replace that with the 3 of Clubs that is now in the deck. You are ready to go again. And be sure to check where the two duplicate cards in the deck lie so they are never close to each other in the deck.

By the way, SWAP comes from: Switching Wallet And Premonition.
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
docguitarman
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your version of a "Premonition" type effect -- it is certainly easier to perform than the Eddie Joseph "Premonition."

The strength of the Eddie Joseph version is, as mentioned, that there is no force. And, as was mentioned previously in this thread, the effect is so strong that one should make certain that the audience knows there is no stooge by having the audience members select who will think of a card.

For other types of premonition effects one can look up
"Premonition Plus" by Howard Worst and Bill Pawson in "The Sphinx" vol.50 no.3 p. 108

And there is an easier reveal using a BW deck described in the New Phoenix
"Two Tips for Premonition" p. 281. An ID could also be used of course.

Phil
docguitarman
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
I bought the Eddie Joseph Trilogy. Well worth it. Performed Staggered for the Mrs and the first time "out of the gate" the minor miracle occurs! I asked her several times if she wanted to cut again. She did. I said she could cut until she wanted to stop, so she did. She flipped the top card. I was staggered too!

Back to OP, I think I'll present "premonition" at the up-coming magic fellowship this Thursday if I can get enough practice in.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2019, docguitarman wrote:
And, as was mentioned previously in this thread, the effect is so strong that one should make certain that the audience knows there is no stooge by having the audience members select who will think of a card.

That is key! This is my current approach to it. Place a paper sack on the tahle which contains "two items" related to a premonition. The first is a stuffed animal which gets passed three times in the audience. The final person who receives the stuff animal then names a card. Note their surprise when they find out the second item is a deck of cards which is inside of the stuff animal accessible by a zipper. They come on stage with the deck in hand and go through process of finding the card is missing. The card is then taken from the pocket. I think those famiiar with the effect will note the obvious alternative.

The strength of this over original handling is that the spectator is obviously not a stooge as they were randomly determined by the audience itself. Also, the performer never touches the deck during the performance, it is always the spectator who removes the deck. The passing of the stuff animal also adds some fun to the whole process.

If you have an assistant, one fun thing to do is to use jumbo cards. Instead of card being in pocket, it is taken from a large envelope which has been suspended the whole time by a string on stage. Assistant cuts string, and envelope falls on tray which is carried to magician who notes "no-one has touched it this whole time".

I've had a lot of fun with this.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Special user
Beverley, UK
857 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Long live the thread ...
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1081 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
That routine is brilliant, FrankFindley! Thanks for sharing.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2888 Posts

Profile of dpe666
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Special user
Beverley, UK
857 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
So pleased this thread has inspired!

wulfie
FrankFindley
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Been playing with a new subtlety which has been working really well for one-on-one performances. I got one of these for free in a Christmas order from Penguin Magic: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/10110. So now I am having a deck in the sock in my left jacket pocket with the open end of the card box towards the bottom . Before they reveal their thought up card, I motion and point with my left hand at my left leg about thigh level saying "I have a deck in my pocket-sock". After they name the card I have them remove the deck from my coat saying how I never touched it and how the sock made it impossible for me to access the cards. So not only does it add interest, it adds to the impossility of it. The alternative is equally impossible and interesting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Premonition" by Eddie Joseph (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL