The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » David Blaine's Mysterious Stranger Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Amadeus_Magi
View Profile
New user
Jakarta, Indonesia
100 Posts

Profile of Amadeus_Magi
Is it worth buying or not with that price?
Advice please...
Magic Beyond Your Imagination
techneeqs
View Profile
Regular user
Ontario, Canada
105 Posts

Profile of techneeqs
I just got this book like 3 days ago, I've been really busy lately and only been able to read the first 3 chapters but I'm enjoying it so far. The price was like $38 Canadian so probably like $25 or so US.
And if you enjoying using your brain, this book has like a treasure hunt also where you could get $100,000 if you figure out all the clues and puzzles throughout the book.
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
Great Book!! I suggest everyone buy it including the people who dont seem to understand why Mr Blaine does what he does and what thought went into developing his charecter or lack there of.
He has changed the face of modern magic and reading this book thouroughly will help you understand why and how.
Just my thoughts,
Brent Braun
http://www.braunmagic.com
P.S. Paul Harris had alot to do with Blaines character, and if you read The Gourmet Mystery show in Pauls books it may give you some insite. Its all about the "Moments of Astonishment" not the performer or the trick but that small moment in time when the impossible actually seems possible.
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I got the book at Wal-Mart for 17 bucks. It has a good overview of magic history, including names like Houdini, Houdin, Malini, etc. My guess is that this historical part is chiefly ghost-written.

The reader must also keep in mind that like T. Nelson Downs' book, the real purpose is not teach the reader how the magic is done, but to build the performer's rep.

I know there are huge numbers of magicians who despise Blaine, but it is worthwhile to ask yourself, "Why is this guy such a success?" This book covers a lot of why Blaine has gone as far as he has --the bottom line is spectator reaction, not an evaluation by other magicians. David's idea of the raw reactions of spectators of all ages, colors, and social strata, was unique, and proved to be very successful.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
If you shop around at Non-magic stores you'll generally find the Blaine book cheaper. I got mine at BJ Club ( similar to COSCO or Sam's Club) for $14.22.
Beautiful book, great color poster pics, and well written. Truly something for your magic library.
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
I think this is a book for the general public, rather than a "magic book" (an observation rather than a criticism).
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
DonMarco
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of DonMarco
love the guy, love the book, love watching jealous magicians having a fit over it all!
"Imagination is the Only Reality"-- Marquis de Sade
Rodney Massey
View Profile
Loyal user
pickering, ontario
231 Posts

Profile of Rodney Massey
It isn't necessarily jealousy, Donmarco.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Isn't the title an oxymoron? Aren't ALL strangers mysterious?
And, reading this thread, I see the price keeps dropping.
My question is:
How many posts do you have to read before the book is free?
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
bigplumbz
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of bigplumbz
HEH! Peter, I was beginnig to think that too...couldnt have asked better myself....I give it till Thursday before they pay us for the book!
plumbz
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
I got it as a Birthday present.....big 22 and I have 6 tornadoes blow away my firends and neighbors houses the night before.....ANYWAY....I actually like it. I especially liked the telephone trick.

Jakks
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Quote:
On 2002-11-10 16:48, braunmagic wrote:
P.S. Paul Harris had alot to do with Blaines character, and if you read The Gourmet Mystery show in Pauls books it may give you some insite. Its all about the "Moments of Astonishment" not the performer or the trick but that small moment in time when the impossible actually seems possible.
Actually, I believe Eric Mead wrote the essay you refer to. It's in Pauls book, but I believe he wasn't the author of it... Smile
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
farrock89
View Profile
New user
nyc
7 Posts

Profile of farrock89
Its a great book i got it from david blaine himself at a barnes & Nobles in Manhatten when he came for a autograph signing. He is a nice man and he told us to go to page 50 and on page 50 there was a 50 dollar bill. he did the same to like 50 kids. now i have 2 books autographed by him.

its a great book. i dont read tht much but i read like 80 pages in a row and it reveales many secrets. Smile
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
This is one of the best magic books that I have ever read. I could not put it down. I am an AVID reader, so I read constantly. I have never had so much fun reading a magic book before. I am not that big of a Blaine fan. In fact, I find him rather dull, but his book is TERRIFIC!!!! BRAVO! Smile
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
Peter,
Your old-school frustration with Blaine is showing.
The title isn't an oxymoron. An oxymoron is an apparent contradiction like: "Jumbo Shrimp" or "Military Intelligence". You can find a great list of these at:
http://www.atlantamortgagegroup.com/oxymoronlist.htm
I think you meant you thought it was redundant but I don't think it's that either. The American Heritage Dictionary defines the two words as follows:
Stranger:
1. One who is neither a friend nor an acquaintance.
Mystery
1. One that is not fully understood or that baffles or eludes the understanding; an enigma.
These don't seem to mean the same thing to me, and I doubt anyone thought so when Mark Twain used it as a title for one of his books. And please don't knock Blaine for using the same title as a literary classic... titles are not copywritten so many books, poems, songs, and films have the same titles. Besides, it's not like he took his stage name from a Dicken's character, or based his whole act on a copywritten young boy wizard character.
As to the price range - you will find the same range on any new book.
List price $24.95 USD $37.95 CAD
knock off %30 at Amazon
and a little over %40 at Costco
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2002-12-14 00:42, farrock89 wrote:
Its a great book i got it from david blaine himself at a barnes & Nobles in Manhatten when he came for a autograph signing. He is a nice man and he told us to go to page 50 and on page 50 there was a 50 dollar bill. he did the same to like 50 kids. now i have 2 books autographed by him.

its a great book. i dont read tht much but i read like 80 pages in a row and it reveales many secrets. Smile

Maybe you should have bought 50 copies, lol.
I have no doubt he will have at least 50 fans for life Smile

Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » David Blaine's Mysterious Stranger Book (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL