The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Squaring the Cycle from Fulves' Self-Working Mental Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
I'm currently going through Karl Fulves' "Self-Working Mental Magic" (highly recommended as a "toe-in-the-water" for beginning mentalists) and I wondered what anyone else's opinion was of the trick "Squaring the Cycle" (#5 in the first chapter)?

I certainly know from experience that a trick that seems too obvious to be effective can sometimes be an overlooked gem, and I'm attracted to the fact that it uses a die instead of some of the usual props, but I don't know.....

It's so hard to go back to what you would think of a trick if it were performed for you before you knew the secret. Frankly, I'm scared to try this on a layperson, because it seems so obvious to me.

Thoughts?
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Hello Foucault,

As written, I don't think that the effect is that great. BUT, with a little thought, it can be very good.
1.DO NOT put an x in the corner. Tell your guest to just put it on a corner square. (With a little thought, you could have him/her put it on any square.
2.At the end, DO NOT move the die any more. Put your hand over it, get the feel and do the "turning" in your head.
This is not the strongest effect in the world, but it could be an interesting conversation bit.
Peace,
Parson

Hope this helped.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Parson - thanks so much for your input. That helps a great deal! I'd already worked out for myself that "doing the turning in my head" would strengthen the effect.

I can't get my head around the concept of putting the die on any square. If you have the time, would you be able to PM me (I guess we're getting very close to exposure) with a hint or two, please?
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Ahhh the Karl Fulves book on mentalism. Everything in that book can be good- something can be added to each effect to make it great. I'd have to actually be home now to look in my library for this book and to critique the effect you asked about, but all I can say about the book as a whole is: without a doubt a good beginners guide to mentalism and mind tricks in general. If I recall the card material in that book (one or two of them I have used in my working material.) So, the stuff in there can be used and used to fit anyone. Thanks for bringing it up- I'll have to check it out when I go back home the 9th of December.

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Foucault,
As you know, tis the center square that provides info and the corner square is the starting point.
If the starting point is increased by one then the hot square will increase by one, etc.
Hope this helps. Keep it up.
Peace,
Parson
+++a posse ad esse+++
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Ah...so you have to see where the starting point is! That was the bit I didn't get. If you insist on the subject putting the dice on the (any) corner square first, it doesn't matter whether or not you see it. The thing is, if you see the die on the starting point, you will deduce the value of the bottom side because of the rule of 7. I guess you could get the subject to point to a square before placing the die down.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Exactly.
You COULD have the spec place the die on any square. Then turn your back and tell them to turn any # up. That would give you all the info that you would need.
Peace,
Parson
+++a posse ad esse+++
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Perfect! Thank you, Parson. You've been extremely helpful in helping me see how to make more from this little trick.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Hope it works well for you.
Peace,
Parson
+++a posse ad esse+++
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Thanks for your help, Parson. Please look out for other pleas for handling help for other effects in this book, in this forum!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Squaring the Cycle from Fulves' Self-Working Mental Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL