We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2005 entrée: Al Schneider » » Cone and Coin » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PossumSlimm
View Profile
New user
MN
79 Posts

Profile of PossumSlimm
Al-

Would love to hear the origins of the coin and cone routine. It's always been my favorite of yours...there's something very aesthetically appealing about the look of the thing...the juxtaposition of the shapes, etc...the geometry excites me on a primitive level, and the transposition is beautifully thought out. I know there are precedents (cone and pence, ball and cone) but there's something so elegant and straightforward about yours.

Anything you can share about this one would be appreciated...
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
The Cone and Coin was the result of a challenge I presented to myself one day.

One day I said to myself, "If you are so smart, why don't you sit down and come up with a new trick that will be as good as Matrix?"

Well I sat down at a table and began to come up with a new trick. Cone and Coin is the result. I made a list of what tended to make good effects. One of the things on that list was covers. Things that are covered on the table seem to sell very well. Another thing on the list were the Spellbound moves. As I played with these items I found myself searching for some way to change something to something else while under a cover. All of this resulted in the Cone and Coin rotuine.

I built one and decided to test it. I had just started a new job. There was a guy there I had become friends with. He did not know I did magic. I got him to drop by my place one day. I told him I was working on the magic thing and I needed his help. I told him I was going to show him this trick and after I did it I would like to hear how he thought it worked. I told him if he was right I would let him know. So, I did it.

He said this, "When you held the coin in your hands, I could see how you could make the coin change. I do not know what you did. I just believe you can manipulate the coins with your hands somehow. But that coin on the table. I have no idea how you could manipulate that coin in any way. I just have no idea."

Since then the routine has not changed.
Al Schneider
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
PossumSlimm
View Profile
New user
MN
79 Posts

Profile of PossumSlimm
Interesting, thanks.

Where did the dragon coins come from? I recently ran across your ad for this item in some old issues of the Linking Ring...how many did you produce and subsequently sell? I recently had a set made up with Morgan silver dollars, and was fortunately able to track down a few of the dragon coins as well. I'm still trying to find a good cone, though...

Thanks!
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
I actually had the dragon coins made.
I did the artwork myself.
I contacted a company that makes awards and medalions.
US law prohibits coins from being struck that are the size of legal tender.
However it is legal to cut the metal off of coins to make them the size of legal tender.

I sold about 75 sets. I do not like the manufacturing process.

I sold my whole stock of dragon coins to Todd Lassen. I think he has sold all of them because there was not many.
Al Schneider
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2005 entrée: Al Schneider » » Cone and Coin » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL