The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Video Magic/Magic Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
With new technologies IMPOSSIBLE magic is becoming possible. editing, the use of Chroma, computerized editing (imagine that you can levitate 6 feet and even more, and with a couple of clicks the "rope" "fork lift" or whatever just disappears after editing...

you don't hear muggles complaining about that...i know most magicians are...Commercial and money wise, it gives you an edge on the market...ethics wise...it remains to be discussed...

what do you personally think guys?
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Personally, I think that anything goes. Why not go to any lengths necessary to mystify? Why not use whichever tools, methods, or wiles that are available?
The only caution is the difference between pre-recorded and live. If, on a video, you're seen making a fork lift disappear with the snap of your fingers, beware the one that asks you to do it live, for they will soon discern your real methods. And that would be embarrassing...
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I personally don't like all the special editing and camera tricks. What I look for in a magic show is for the talent of the magician. His ability to entertain and also for his technical ability. If he can't do either one then he is not doing his job but relying only on the special effects.

I also agree with Patrick. Sooner or later someone will ask you to levitate 6ft off the ground and you better have a good explanation as why you can't.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Harry Anderson and David Copperfield were the first to come forward in defense of creative camera use and post illusion editing. I agree. We're entertainers. If you can truly enthrall your audience with well rehearsed bits of video magic (anyone here really believe that Criss Angel really levitates up and down buildings or that David Copperfield actually walked through the Great Wall of China?), then why not? As for being asked to duplicate the effect off camera...defer to the Nancy Reagan defense: Just say No!

On the other hand, using video effects simply to fool your audience is asking for trouble. Keep the focus on entertainment.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Video Magic/Magic Video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL