The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Transitioning from kidshows to adults? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
373 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
Advice given by Mark Wilson and others is to give free shows until you are truly proficient enough to start charging. I heartily agree with this advice, and it worked well when I started doing kid shows. The way I did it was by sending letters to worthy charitable organizations volunteering my show for the kids. I was able to transition to doing shows for a fee after I felt I was qualified to do so without any problems.

Now I would like to start performing for adults ... perhaps a little walk around and even some stand up (platform) performing. Here is my dilemma: how do I do free shows for adults while continuing to charge for the kid shows? If I say in a letter that I will do free shows for adults but not for kids, it sounds a little mean. If I say I have a very "adult" act, it sounds like I do risque material! Any ideas?
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
To answer your last question first - I refer to childrens and grown-up shows,
or you could try children of all ages.

You could break in your adult stuff by doing casual tricks in a bar, or on the street. (club ticket lines are good, but get permission).
You could try doing the shows cheap, say half price, for a short time only; telling them that its a new act.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Charge both, quote as required.

If you charge for kids then you are proficient enough. You just need to quote 3 times what you think you are worth and let them bring you down to x2. They are happy and you are happy.
Sometimes free gives them an uncomfortable feeling and gives you an easy getout. A nice reduction in fee is much better.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Transitioning from kidshows to adults? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL