The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Forthcoming Ventriloquism talk/lecture (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

puppet man
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of puppet man
I have been asked to give a talk/lecture on Ventriloquism for one of the UK based Magical Societies in 2006.
I have an idea of some of the topics/subjects that I could/should cover, however, because I am closely associated with the art of ventriloquism, I fear I may miss some of the things people might like to know more about.

As well as it being entertaining, with a few of my selected kiddies and adult routines slotted in for demonstration purposes, I want to concentrate on the here and now aspects of how everyone who can talk, has the potential to learn & use ventriloquism. Also how introducing a puppet or two into a children’s show gives an extra dimension, plus makes your show more memorable. Even if the performer hasn’t learned vent, how a puppet can still be manipulated to give fantastic entertainment.

I was looking to get some feedback (imagine you were attending a talk on vent/working with puppets) on what you would like to be covered, or expect to be covered within this talk/lecture.

Like I said, I have a long list of subjects I should/could cover.. I worry that I’m so close to the subject I’ll miss the things people might be expecting to discover more about. You’re feedback will help me enhance it so people get more than they were expecting.

Even if you just have a question, no matter how obvious you might think it is, please throw it my way… It could very well be that even a few general questions on Ventriloquism, or performing with puppets, or using the vent voice will add a “completeness” to the talk/lecture.

Many Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Best Wishes

Karl
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
580 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I did a vent demo/lecture for a clown group and did a couple of short routines to show them what I could do and then went into a general explanation of how one learns vent. Looking back I would have them all try the "hay" exercise to move the sound back into the nose, to get them doing something that relates to vent. Then I'd have them try saying the easy letters without moving their lips. A pencil or ice-cream stick between the teeth might help. You won't have time to teach them to do sound substitutions but you could show how some are done and refer them to DVD's or tapes for further study.
See Billy James's 'Long' post in this section for lots of ideas and resources.

Oliver
puppet man
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of puppet man
Nice one Oliver. I appreciate your input.
Best Wishes
Karl
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
327 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
When I'm a beginner vent, I like to learn:

1. How to talk without moving my lips. What kind of exercises should I do to master this.
2. How to produce the other voices, which are different than mine. And the exercise are?
3. How to choose figures (soft figures, hard figures, and else).
4. How to manipulate the figures (soft figures & hard figures)to become life like. And the exercise are?
5. How to make the scripts & jokes.
6. Where can I get resourses to learn ventriloquism. And your strong advice are?

BTW I'm still learning all above. So .......... Smile

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
puppet man
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of puppet man
Thanks Buddi, that's really helpful.
As soon as I have all the answers compiled in note form for the talk, I'll try to make the information available to you.
Best Wishes
Karl
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
327 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Wow, that's will be very nice! Thanks!

Another topic to cover is how to make a ventriloquism performance. Should I enter the stage holding my figure or how about take the figure from suitcase and how to put it back later. What to do if several audience affraid to the figure. How to handle hecklers. What to do if something wrong happen, such as jaw mechanic fail. And so on.

And the more advance topics are how to make distant voice, muffle voice and double voices. How to promote & sell yourself to get jobs and covered by mass media.

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
puppet man
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of puppet man
Wow Budi, You're really steaming ahead now! I have about 60 minutes tops! LOL
I'm sure I can cover those bits as Extra's (in the back of the lecture notes)
Best Wishes
Karl
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
327 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
If you cover all those, I believe that your lecture notes will be the next ventriloquism how to book! Smile

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Things I cover are

1. Animating your puppet (with and without talking.

"We" think that the audience should like you and your puppet, prior to opening either of your mouths.

2. Begin with the alphabet

3. Singing with a puppet seems very dificult.
Familiar songs actually can help your audience here the correct word if you are not able to do the plosives ventriloquially....(B's, P's, ....)

4. Practice, Practice, Practice....

5. Be original in your routines.....(very important in vent AND Magic.

At last years annual Society of American Ventriloquist convention, I got reminded of the importance of going back to basics often. It was a pleasure to learn from
George Schindler during his "Vent Event" They had to move the class to a bigger room. Nigel and I will remember it as one of the highlights of our Travels and learning in Vent....

Two puppets worth from

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist and Nearly Normal Ventriloquist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
puppet man
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of puppet man
Nice one Harris,
Thanks for taking the time to post that - much appreciated

Best Wishes
Karl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Forthcoming Ventriloquism talk/lecture (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL