The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tricks involving a crystal ball? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
Are there any? I looked into the whole bizarre magic thing but it seems like more "standard" tricks wrapped up in a mystical routine.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
The only one I ever saw published in an old Genii magazine was having a selected card palmed in the hand holding the crystal and akllowing another spectator to gaze into the ball and reveal the card. It seemed pretty obvious to me. I just think they are a great prop to have around your magic room. Good conversation starter.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Only thing that comes to my mind isn't even magic. Contact juggling, I think it is called. Every seen the movie Labyrinth. What is the name of the guy that was the hand double for Bowie?
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
RAB1
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of RAB1
Mike Rogers marketed an effect with a small crystal. the ball had a very small card attatched which could be brought into the spectators view by turning the ball.
regards,
Bob B.
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
Eh, so far I'm not impressed. Seems like their should be something. Perhaps I'll invent it.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
One of the things that you might consider is a load for a Cups and Balls routine.
Also, a production from a miniature briefcase, ala bowling ball from briefcase.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
You are right on the money regarding bizarre magic. But you have to admit that it opens up a whole new field of presentation to a performer. You can do many things with a crystal ball in my opinion. You can do mind reading. You can use the instant stooge effect of Luke Jermay with a twist where the spec stares into the ball and "sees" the card you can do a Zombi depending on how heavy the ball is, the opportunities are endless. Let your mind go.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Take a look in the "Black School" book for a wonderful routine by Anabelle and also the extra effect included in "Psychic Destiny" called "Psychic Crystal Ball".

http://www.eyesandminds.com/store2.htm
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
The contact juggler in Labyrinth is Michael Moshen.

I have used a large crystal ball as a strong focus of attention. When you take out a big crystal ball, or direct people's attention to it, you can do anything that you have to do for several seconds. They also tend to forget about clipboards, billets, and assorted office supplies once they hear the story of how you got this at the estate sale of a medium.

Those uses have made my crystal ball one of the greatest magic accessories I ever acquired.

Yours,

Paul
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
Do you actually do anything WITH the ball?
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Remember crystal balls are not traditionally thought of as tools of a magician. They are to fortune tellers what wands are to us. The difference is we have invented tricks for the wand; a glass ball is not so easy.

You would have to produce or vanish it using some sort of "boxlike" thing. If you could get a very light weight hollow ball you could attempt Zombie but I don't see the advantage over the silver ball.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I agree with Frank,
Actually, I think that a crystal ball could take away from the Zombie effect.
But I do like blurring the lines between magic and fortune telling.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Use a crystal ball as a way to read lists right in front of the audience.
Put a list such as a card stack on a small card. Shuffle the cards and write all on a small card.
They cut, glimpse bottom card, hold small list in hand under ball and use ball to magnify list and do your look up. There are many ways to use this. And you really are looking into your crystal ball to get the answer. Do center tear. Use the ball to look at center.
Al
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
After more than 50 years, the Card In Crystal Ball remains one of the most mysterious effects ever seen. This new pocket version from Mike Rogers will blow you away.

Ask a spectator to touch any face down card in a shuffled deck. Place the card in your pocket without showing its value. No one knows the identity of the card, not even the spectator who touched it. Bring out a small drawstring pouch. Open the pouch and remove a small crystal ball. Hold the ball between your finger and thumb, and ask the spectator to gaze deep into the ball. Tell the spectator to name aloud whatever thought she receives from the crystal. Magically, the Ace of Diamonds appears within the ball. Remove the spectator's card from your pocket and show that it is in fact the Ace of Diamonds.
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
DUNNINGER'S MENTAL CARD TRICK in Scarne on Card Tricks page 17.

Magically

Aus
Malakim
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of Malakim
Maybe preparing the Ball with Ghost writing (Hauchglas) will give a good effekt.
Like this: Hauchglas
There is a liquid from viking "Ghost Glass Impromptu", or find a way to do your own preparation.
Ghost Glass Impromptu
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Not directly to the point and it may no longer be available, but I have a shot glass that basically has a "crystal ball" in the shape of a half sphere built into the inside of it. The base of the glass has a cap over it and inside is a miniature card (about 1/4" x 3/4") which is invisible when the glass is empty. When you pour a liquid into it the card becomes visible. The cap is removable and the mini card can be replaced with another or any image that will fit inside the cap. It's a pretty cool gimmick and interesting way to reveal a card. Some of the comments above describe ways and sources of how this can be done with a crystal ball.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Martin Lewis has an effect using a crystal ball
Black Hart
View Profile
Elite user
Scottish Highlands
475 Posts

Profile of Black Hart
"Eh, so far I'm not impressed. Seems like their should be something. Perhaps I'll invent it."

When you do Hammesink, please let me know. Smile

"I looked into the whole bizarre magic thing but it seems like more "standard" tricks wrapped up in a mystical routine."

All magic is basically thus. The genre of magic known as 'Bizarre' takes a different slant and is storytelling and presentation. This is very different from 'I do this and look what happens'.

I have entertained thousands of people over many years with nothing more technically difficult than a d***** ***t! The mantra of the Bizarre Magician is - keep it simple, the performance is everything.

Certainly I use a crystal ball as a prop, one of the problems is that a reasonably large crystal ball is very heavy and way to big to palm! Smile

Regards

Keith Hart
Black Artefacts, manufacturer and dealer of weird, bizarre and psychic magic: www.blackhart.co.uk
erikdobell
View Profile
Regular user
Gatlinburg Tennessee
139 Posts

Profile of erikdobell
I do believe there's an effect in the 13 Steps that uses a crystal ball as part of the method, but I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you wondering if there are any tricks that use the ball as a method or are there any routines that use a crystal ball as a premise?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tricks involving a crystal ball? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL