The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Ebooks vs. regular books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mxray
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mxray
I looked for perhaps a better topic area to put this post under, but didn't see one. If I am in violation here, I will re-post wherever I should. Just let me know.

What experiences do you guys have with e-books as opposed to real books?

I saw an e-book version of the 3rd edition of Expert Card Technique on line. In this particular case, I just want to learn the material within, not necessarily own a high value ediiton, and I understand the Dai Vernon stuff is only in the 3rd edition. I seriously doubt I am going to find a 3rd edition anywhere for a reasonable price, since it is considered a collectable.
MXRay
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Here is a link to where this topic has been discussed before.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
I have a couple of ebooks. One is Card College. Volumes 1 & 2 are both available as ebooks from http://www.lybrary.com. I also have a couple of ebooks from Michael Close (www.michaelclose.com). One on the faro shuffle, the other includes several tricks (Closely Guarded Secrets). I think all three are excellent. Each has video clips embedded in the text of specific moves or highlighting what is discussed in the texrt. To me, this is a great use of technology. It's different than a straight video or DVD becasue only the slieght is shown; not the performance. You have to work on your own presentation, rather than seeing the entire performance of the trick. I like this because it is more like a book, and yet has a visual clip of important moves and sleights.
deepsight
View Profile
New user
Mexico
60 Posts

Profile of deepsight
I prefer books for a simple reason: I can read them everywhere.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Quote:
On 2005-11-28 15:39, deepsight wrote:
I prefer books for a simple reason: I can read them everywhere.

Yeah, but if you are a nerd like me, YOu can read ebooks every where too. I have tons and tons of book books...But I like my ebooks as well. Ebooks are an easier way for guys like me to release their own matierial. Plus, you can always print out your ebooks if you want. I will say, I have cardcollege vol 1 in ebook and I love it. It made for a lot easier reading and practice for me.
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Hey Corey,

Rereading that other post I realized that I posted my opinion on that one too. Still stands the same for the most part since then. It is becoming more popular, but I still insist on getting the paper form:) Seems that a lot of magicians are putting their material on e-books as well. Economical? Or just 'rolling' with the time? Could be both...

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I just think its easier to put stuff out on Ebook. I am putting the final touches on my book from the life of a Professional Wrestler and I cant afford to make a real book, So I am releasing it in ebook. Just easier, and it is a lot fast to get it out there that way as well.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I much prefer a regular book for portability and it's got to be better on your eyes.

I'll buy an ebook if I have to without complaining.

if Close's e-book were a regular book with a companion DVD that also had the whole thing on PDF (e-book), now that would be cool.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
I think books are better for studying history or ideas behind an effect. for practising a trick I prefer a ebook, because it make everything a lot easier because you can scroll and so on.
but of course has a book a better flare and touch Smile
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Maybe it's just the 'pack-rat' in me, but I just think there is something artistic about books. ??? not to sound weird or anything. But by the looks of e-books- white screen and words. Words broken into long sentences without eyebreaks. That's just my stereotypical version of an e-book. I have seen some with illustrations though. Personally I had a friend who handed me an e-book, or should I say multiple e-books. This disk had like 10 full books on it. All pirated! Not good and it wasn't favorable with me. He burned it from all the other e-books onto just one disk. Tsk tsk. I'm all about giving credit, and I just couldn't believe it was that easy to copy stuff. So, maybe that's why I prefer the hardcopies more...

best regards,
Matt
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
After spending hours in front of a computer doing work I prefer a good old book when I study anything. Besides, the chances of buying a bad book is so much less than buying a bad ebook. I mean, the cost difference of putting one out acts as a barrier for ideas, effects and methods that are not up to the high level one can expect. Naturally, as with everything, there are plenty of exceptions.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I would like one of you guys to put Erdnase onto an audio tape/disk so I could just stick it in a walkman an listen to it when I am playing poker. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
deepsight
View Profile
New user
Mexico
60 Posts

Profile of deepsight
Quote:
the cost difference of putting one out acts as a barrier for ideas, effects and methods that are not up to the high level one can expect.

Totally agree Pekka
deepsight
View Profile
New user
Mexico
60 Posts

Profile of deepsight
Quote:
Yeah, but if you are a nerd like me, You can read ebooks every where too.

I understand Corey, but simply I don't feel comfortable with all that paraphernalia (ebook reader, battery, charger, suitcase, and who knows what else). A normal book only demands light and voilà¡
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I like e-books, but then again, I download, and print, hole-punch and three ring binder it...

And then take it with me.

John
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
And thus it costs you more than a 'real' book. Or are you using your work printer?
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
There's nothing like grabbing a book and a deck of cards or some coins and plopping in a chair.

But, e-books really depend upon how well the designer and producer of the book put them together.

The Learned Pig has many. Some of them are just too... 'airy' for me but I received a pdf from Michael Close which had ample discussion as well as embedded movie clips which just can't be beat.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
magicalec
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of magicalec
Nothing will beat a well published hardback...
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Hardback over Hardware any day!!
:bikes: Smile Smile
<<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I'm a book kind of guy. I like having pages that I can turn. I want to dog-ear the corners, make notes in the margins and hi-lite passages I really like. I think books are the greatest thing on Earth. Well.... second best thing....
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Ebooks vs. regular books (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL