The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mini Copperfield? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
I'm not a big fan of self-working gadgets and magic that requires too much potentially suspicious equipment. Perhaps my personality doesn't lend itself as well to the comedy and patter, and hence I try to pump most of my skill into the effects.

However...

After being blown away by the Crystal Cleaver, I had an idea. What if one were to purchase only THE best plastic gadget Tenyo-type effects, and build a mini "large stage illusion" routine?

Has anyone done this? Any ideas? Any trick suggestions? Comments? Etc?
Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
242 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
I think the audience would be much too small Smile Tenyo has some clever stuff, but often the props look kind of cheap. I liked the Eye of the Idol, but wished it was a bit more upscale. ... In any event, I'm skeptical of the appeal of the mini stage illusion show, but don't let my opinion sway you. I just don't see how to sell it. The focus would have to be on the entertainment, not the tricks.

Chris
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
477 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Mini stage. I think the proper term would be "Parlor". Parlor tricks are those that are a little to big for close up but not really large enough to require or fill a stage. Parlor effects work great for audiences up to about 100. Maybe this is what you were already thinking about, but if not, maybe you should be thinking this way.

Example: Guillotine

Close up = Finger Chopper
Parolor = Arm Chopper
Stage = Head Chopper

Break a wand,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2005-11-28 21:15, Magical_Mystifier wrote:

The focus would have to be on the entertainment, not the tricks.

Chris

Shouldn't the focus always be on the entertainment?
I think a miniature illusion show has possibilities. Go for it. if nothing else it will be a learning experience.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
Parlor, stage, whatever. I was just thinking of ways to actually make use of self-working plastic crap. I could even make a little stage with lights and fog!!!
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
477 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Hammiesink,

Please accept my apologies.
I obviously made a bad assumption that since this was posted in the "New to Magic" forum that I was addressing someone with limited knowledge of magic. My bad.
I also obviously misunderstood the question when you asked:
Quote:
Has anyone done this? Any ideas? Any trick suggestions? Comments? Etc?

Again, I apologize.
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
You don't have anything to apologize for; except not giving any ideas, comments, or criticisms. So let's hear your thoughts!
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I think it is possible to do a mini illusion show. But I would not do it with Tenyo articles - they look too cheap.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
What would you use? I think Tenyo does look cheap but some of their illusions are pretty neat. I'm kind of surprised that there aren't better versions of these things. My favorite trick in my magic set growing up was always the Spiked Coin (nails go through a small box containing a coin). It's self-working and not much room for skill or presentation, but most people were actually pretty amazed by it, and yet there only seems to be a crappy plastic version on the market. Even the ball and vase has a metal version floating around...
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
It could be interesting to do a show like dress your hands up like magicians and build a stage you could work your hands on and do a bunch of small illusions, and I think the campy nature of an act like this would lend itself nicely to Tenyo products, kind of a cheesy magic mini illusion show, I don't think you could pull off a full show like this but as part of the rest of a show ( ie.. one peice of a performance) might be cool.
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
Also someone did put out a brass version of the spiked coin some years ago I forget who maybe someone else will have the company.
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
Well, I think it could work for me since I'm much more of a "table" performer, small group performer. I could see pulling out a case, opening it up, and it being a miniature stage with lights and so on and doing an entire show. Short, of course. Close up and move on to the next table.

Tenyo even has a small version of Houdini's metamorphosis. This is just screaming at me to be used somehow...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mini Copperfield? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL