The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Claude Rix - Beggar's Pearls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Quote:
On 2005-11-30 22:53, BillWells wrote:
Thank you all - including Werner, who contacted me via personal email with the De Cova information (since he has apparently been banned ??? from here until Christmas). I really appreciate your help.

Bill

Bill,
I don't think we are suppose to talk about people being banned from the "Café". I once had a post and a whole topic vanished because we were welcoming a Café member back from being banned. I don't think the Café want's anyone to know that some people get banned.

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Parcifal
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Parcifal
Quote:
On 2005-12-02 21:46, BillWells wrote:
Abraham Pieter Adrienus Bongers - The greatest all around magican I have ever known.
My compliments!Also his second name was Piet(which is the same as Pieter),and his 3d name Adrianus,it is great to se some people know their history and do know about one of their greatest exponents of the art.(Yes, A.P.A. Bongers in short)Salute BillWells.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Any dvd's about the pearls available?
joespc
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of joespc
Claude Rix's routine was published in the book "Five Little Beads". Written by Horace and translated by Ali Bongo in 1986. The book was 40 pages long and included a history of the effect and many variations. The set I have also included 6 ivory colored beads (1 was larger than the rest).
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
[/quote - partial]

Bill,
I don't think we are suppose to talk about people being banned from the "Café".

kOnO

[/quote]

kOnO -

Thanks for your comments. Yes...I have noticed that things sometimes go "poof" and vanish here. I checked the rules and they don't say a banned person's name cannot be mentioned. I mentioned Werner because I was so shocked that he was banned. I don't know the reasons and I fully understand that anyone who invests the great amount of time and effort to maintain a forum such as this one has every right to impose whatever rules they wish. I also understand the need to maintain proper conduct, etc. However, when the forum is about magicians helping magicians and Werner who is one of the most helpful people posting here gets "wacked", it does make one wonder. Werner continues to be helpful to me with regard to my above question so I felt it apropos to mention his plight in conjunction with his response to my request since he didn't allow being banned to prevent his being helpful. Now ... we probably need to focus more diretly on the topic at hand.

Again...thank you for your comments. This is a somewhat murky area that would probably benefit from better explanations when these mysterious things happen.

Bill
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Kaps' real names... are close to mine too... Peter Andreas Biro.

Bram, as his family and friends called him, came up with the stage name Fred Kaps by looking through the phone book just to see what name appealed to him.

There was a store on Holland named "Daps" -- he liked the sound of it but didn't want to be the same so he changed the D to K and Kaps was born. Fred came about just saying different names with Kaps and seemed to flow nicely.

One other name he used, early on, was Mystica.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Parcifal
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Parcifal
Yes Mr. Biro,I thought recall the companies name,that manufactored raincoats was "Daks", and as the sound of that name was good A.P.A Bongers and Henk Vermeyden did choose "Kaps"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think "Bing" Bongers would have been a great name.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Daks it was... sorry... senior moment!
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Quote:
On 2005-12-03 06:34, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
Any dvd's about the pearls available?

Robert -

From the responses I have gotten, I do not believe there are any DVDs available of anyone doing the "Five Littel Pearls" routine. There is a tape of Alexander de Cova performing the effect as taught to him by Claude Rix. There is not an explanation of the effect by de Cova. The tape is Close Up Session Nr 1. However, the tape is fairly old and very difficult to locate in this country. You might be able to find it on the German eBay. The tape is in German, but de Cova does a silent performance of the "pearls" so it really doesn't matter.

Romaine does a pearl routine on his DVD, but it is somewhat different than the "Five Little Pearls" or "Beggar's Pearls" as originally done by Rezvani and later by Claude Rix and others. However, a number of the same moves are employed by Romaine.

Bill
Howard Hamburg
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Howard Hamburg
Quote:
On 2005-11-30 13:18, Bill Palmer wrote:
It sounds like the Ramsay bean trick to me. There was a trick sold back in the 1970's called "The Pearls of Persia," which Brick Tilley used to perform.hey,bill brickandwalter@aol.com I'm still here under the rock

Howard Hamburg
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Howard Hamburg
Quote:
On 2005-12-01 23:58, Bill Wells wrote:
Thank you everyone for your continuing help on the "Five Little Pearls" routine. I really appreciate all your efforts.....bill,am still here brickandwalter@aol.com under a rock

Mike - odd you should mention the late Willis Kenney. It is his handling of this routine that has inspired my search for the Claude Rix source. Willis mentioned that he bought the routine "...from a fellow with a very short name." His handling is somewhat different than I remember Rix doing it.

Bill and I remember Brick Tilley doing the routine as well. Does anyone know if Brick is still doing magic?

Bill
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
Claude Rix performed this at FFFF last year, but used what apeared to be beans, or something similar.. A truly artistic presentation, in spite of the language barrier. He got a standing ovation.

Mark
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Brick was one of the contributing editors of the Mark Wilson Course in Magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Claude Rix learned the routine from Rezvani. Hence the name of Persian Pearls. He does the trick with small ivory pearls and a small longitudinal black velvet mat.

The effect is fairly different from John Ramsay's Four Little Beans and Claude's performance is very magical indeed. The last time I saw Claude perform this routine was in Paris in 2009 the very day Ali Bongo had the stroke that would steal him from us.

Claude's performance is really extremely magical and, with his stack handling, it's one of his two signature effects. It's a beautiful thing to watch despite the common reluctance about things being brought to the mouth and back out (which Claude Rix is well aware of).

Claude's patter deals with this and makes the whole routine a moment of pure magic proving that when a magician does the same trick for 50 years, it becomes as smooth as silk and no one gets tired of seeing it.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Van Cleve used to perform a version of this called "The Ring Trick." It was mystifying, but it was also one of the funniest routines for the ball/bean/pearl trick that I have ever seen.

His closing line was "there is only one thing that is funnier than watching me perform the bean trick for the first time, and that is watching someone else watching me perform the bean trick for the first time."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
I saw Rezvani's 'Beggar's Pearl' performed by French magician 'Horace'. It was at the final Supreme Brittany Super Day - I forget the year (around the 1980's)! But I do remember that it was one of the most magical presentations that I have ever seen.

I spoke to Ali Bongo about it and he sent me the complete package - wooden balls, velvet bag/performing surface and a booklet with the entire Horace routine which included the Claude Rix variations (including the 'elegant move' - a periodic sip of water from a champagne flute when placing each ball into the mouth). Ali had written it by arrangement and had translated Horace's work from the French.

I tried hard for some time but was unable to hold the balls in my mouth without 'gagging'.

According to Horace, the Persians (Iranians) learned it from childhood and were/are taught to carry small pebbles in their mouths for hours on end - speaking, eating and drinking etc. until the pebbles become un-noticed.

Ali told me that if I mastered it, I would have an exclusive - he knew of no one in the U.K. who have ever performed the trick. Ramsay's 'Five Little Peas' was based upon the same principle, but much simpler. Although even with Ramsay's version, you need to hold dried peas under your tongue!

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This reminds me of the classic Greek method of becoming an orator. The prospective orator would fill his mouth with marbles and practice speaking. Over a period of months, he would remove one marble from his mouth every day until finally, when he had lost all his marbles, he was a qualified orator.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
Here's a YouTube clip of Claude Rix - How's your French?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXIpoU_PeaA

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Horace Bennett has a nice pearl routine in his book by Magic Mehods "Bennett's Best". Use a sea shell and pearls.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Claude Rix - Beggar's Pearls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL