We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Card Convention in the UK - anyone going ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
jayp
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of jayp
If people think its too much then just don't go, just don't keep going on about the price, I personally cant wait to go and cant wait to meet some of you guys. See you there!

Jamie.
Tyler Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
Calgary
123 Posts

Profile of Tyler Wilson
Quote:
On 2005-11-30 15:42, jayp wrote:
I personally cant wait to go and cant wait to meet some of you guys. See you there!

Jamie.

Hey Jamie,
I couldn't have said it better myself! I'll see ya there.

Tyler Wilson
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
945 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Hey, Sleight King - weird response, mate. Don't get your point about the organiser's motivation for putting together an event. Most professional magicians 'do it for the money'. I do what I do at work every day 'for the money'. In fact, by 'doing it for the money', a better job is often accomplished since along with it comes a professional attitude. I imagine you also do stuff 'for the money' yourself. Is its (whatever it is) worth lessened as a result ?

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
Registration for the Session is £40 and that includes food. There are three international lecturers. It must cost them £350-400 for a flight for each performer plus they have to be picked from the airport, accommodated and so on.

Mark Leveridges close-up symposium charges £50 plus if you want to eat on site you have to buy a £20 "catering package" too.
Paul Gordon's CUMCIS charges £30 and has no international performers.

I think the Session looks like a great day and I will definitely be there.
Just a magic lovin dude
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1702 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Looks like fun to me. Quick question: it's billed as Close Up; is it just cards or is there other stuff too?
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Small-hands Luke
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Small-hands Luke
I'm going to England over Xmas. But I'll be coming back on the 4th. Smile
sleight king
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of sleight king
I will wait and see what people think after. I can guarentee no one will say wow it was exceptionally brilliant. oh and 40£ by the time you have travelled it is all a lot more.
as far as dvds I would prefer to pay for a good dvd than go to a convention like this. international does not mean better it means more expensive rememeber.
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Quote:
On 2005-12-01 11:08, ross welford wrote:
Looks like fun to me. Quick question: it's billed as Close Up; is it just cards or is there other stuff too?

There's no doubt that there will be an emphasis on card magic (as with anything labelled close up), but some of the lecturers will feature non card magic.

Sleight King: international means a better selection. We didn't deliberately seek out international acts - we looked for the best performers and lecturers (in our eyes) that we've seen perform lately.
Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
Sleight King, obviously money is a big concern to you. Being the king of sleights apparently hasn't resulted in being financially prosperous as one would normally associate with the royal family.
First of all, in the UK we say £40, not 40£. Stop writing 40£ as it makes you look even more of a fool than you are. Secondly, £40 is not very much money if you are an adult in gainful employment. If you find spending £40 difficult may I suggest you ask for a pocket money increase or perhaps wait until you are an adult and are able to get a job that doesn't involve standing on the back of a milk float or delivering newspapers.
Thirdly, to say that you would rather buy a DVD than attend a convention is odd. Luckily for the organisers of conventions most people don't share your point of view. It's the difference between watching television and going to the theatre, between watching your favourite band live and listening to their CD (or probably their illegally downloaded mp3s in your case). Personally I like to buy DVDs and books AND attend conventions. But then, I am not po like you.
Just a magic lovin dude
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I don't belive what I'm reading! What is all the fuss about? £40 for a whole day of magic with some very good names and food thrown in? Sound like a deal to me. Shame I can't make it. Good luck to the organisers, (and I hope they DO make money!) and hope everyones has a brilliant time! Smile
sleight king
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of sleight king
Its no fuss. and aaron I can put 40£ if I like. anyone who goes to a convention will realise that £40 is not all you have to spend. by the time you have paid transport, go to the pub after. lost a days earnings etc etc it is not just 40£. anyway I will wait for the comments about how good it was. I am 100% sure the organisers and there mates will say it was brilliant. the other people will say it was ok
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Hey Sleight King,

Blimey mate! Aren't you diluting your case? Adding all those incidental 'extras' to create the impression of an expensive day out, would also be equally valid to a £30 (30£) or £20 day out. So what do we do, make these conventions free?

Splitting hairs over a few quid is a bit, well, sad, and the added bits just highlight a poor attempt to justify an already weak argument. Just my view. Okay, I know, I'll get my coat! Smile

As they say, each to their own. Smile
sleight king
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of sleight king
No I was just saying 40£ is a bit expensive for the convention. please go there and then you will know what I mean when you are a few quid short of buying a great magic book in the future. I am just saying this does not represent good value for money
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
945 Posts

Profile of jbadman
I do see your point, SK. It's a lot of money. But personally I stopped going to Blackpool three years ago because it just got too big. I'd be in a hall for a lecture with a SEA of other magicians, hardly able to see the performer properly. Hot, sweaty, uncomfortable. No thanks.

What I prefer now are smaller conventions. I like TSD, Bristol Day of Magic... and now hopefully this event too. But obviously it comes at a price since there's less spaces available, it's more expensive per head to pay for bringing the lecturers in to the event. Personally I'm more than happy to pay a little more money for a better overall environment.

It's a personal thing though.

Jamie.
sleight king
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of sleight king
Try right guard and linen loose fitting clothing. I belive you can get it in spray or roll on. as for not being able to see. vision express, spec savers are my fave
Justin Hepton
View Profile
Regular user
Surrey, in the UK
136 Posts

Profile of Justin Hepton
Aaron Lucas,

I couldn't have said it better myself! I was all set to reply to sleight kings utterly pointless posts in the same manner as you but you beat me to the punch!

Sleight King, with all due respect, if you don't like the price, or don't feel it "represents good value for money", DON'T GO!

if you don't think the magicians in attendance, aren't good enough to warrant you spending your money to go to the convention, DON'T GO!

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but there is no need to try and shove it down everyone elses throat if they dare to disagree with you! we are entitled to our opinion too! And please don't come back with "I can put 40£ on it if I like", unless, of course you want to sound like a naughty little child that's just been told he can't have any more sweets!

that's my opinion, and I think you'll find I am entitled to it.

Justin
"After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

- Italian proverb
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
945 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Sleight King - I really shouldn't have bothered trying to see your point of view, should I.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2005-12-02 14:02, jbadman wrote:
Sleight King - I really shouldn't have bothered trying to see your point of view, should I.

Indeed! Some reputations are even made in this Café. Duh! Talk about credibility!!
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1721 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I'd pay £100 to hang out with like-minded people. People who can inspire; people who are creative; people who will make me think; make me re-evaluate. People pay more than £40 for something to line the bottom of their drawer at home with.

Whoever is't going is going to miss out on the creative, inspiring and thought-provoking sessions that will be guaranteed.

Fine by me!
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
johnanthony
View Profile
New user
West Midlands
8 Posts

Profile of johnanthony
I'll be going so look out for me.
Thanks for watching
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Card Convention in the UK - anyone going ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL