The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jack Hughes World of Magic Series (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
joey
View Profile
New user
montreal,canada
59 Posts

Profile of joey
Wow! HOW MUCH WOULD A SET OF REPRINTS RUN ME AND WHERE COULD I GET ONE
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22663 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-03-03 05:01, joey wrote:

There are not any "Re-Prints" available for this set as of yet. It all has to do with demand, and it seems there is not much demand for super expensive poorly written books. The person who assembled this trilogy, is still in business in England. The books are copyrighted, so they cannot be cheaply reprinted in your lifetime currently unless permitted to do so by the author.

The books are poorly written by not including building plans at all. Just some line drawings and a few measurements. They don't even include the line drawings of the products that were in the Jack Hughes catalog.
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
538 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Quote:
On 2013-03-03 05:01, joey wrote:

The "cut-down" reprinted book (which as explained above doesn't include all the content of the original 3 volumes) was a "give-away" to anyone who attended last year's FISM in Blackpool. It was claimed to be worth £150, however during the convention "spare" copies were available to buy at the knock-down price of £85. (As everyone had a free copy I don't suppose that they sold many.)

At this year's Blackpool Magic Convention, copies of the book were available for sale, sold as "seconds" (or some other description implying that they weren't quite up to the printing standard of the "£150" originals). They were for sale for £15! (about $20). I think that they sold quite a few but I'm sure that by the end of the convention, they still had a few left over.

Blackpool Magic Convention is organised by Blackpool Magicians Club. Derek Lever is President of the club and plays a large part in organising the Blackpool Magic Conventions and also last year's FISM. He has the rights to Jack Hughes effects, and produced the books.

If you really want a copy it might be worth contacting him to see if he has any left, and what this week's price is! His web site is http://www.taurusmagic.net/

However, (with the high postage costs to USA,) it might be worth advertising nearer home to see if anyone want's to part with their copy. Every attendee at FISM got one, however I doubt that the book would be of much interest to everyone.
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1120 Posts

Profile of Chris
Lybrary.com has acquired the copyrights to the Jack Hughes trilogy and we have prepared PDF ebooks for each volume. For details go here http://www.lybrary.com/jack-hughes-m-273585.html We also offer a reduced price bundle deal.

I also have four copies of the above mentioned 'Compilation' hardcover book left. http://www.lybrary.com/jack-hughes-world......871.html This features about half the illusions from the trilogy.

A comment about the contents: I am not an illusion builder, but I am a hard-core DIY guy with a wood and metal shop education and decades of experience as engineer. These books were fascinating to me. Well, that is why I bought the rights Smile Even if you do not build a single illusion, the amount of cleverness, ideas, and creativity that exudes from these books is immediately apparent to anybody who has ever built something. There are even ideas for a close-up guy like myself.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Chris, thanks for the post, this is a great package with piles of info (as you can see from Bill's listing of effects) lot's of prop magic. I condsider this set similar to (and of value as) the Encyc. of Dove Magic, the Eric Lewis "Miracles..." trilogy, and the Albo books. The sheer volume of info in all of the above books is amazing, you see something "new" everytime you pick one up and look at it.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1053 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I also have the three original volumes...I am currently building 'Where the Rainbow Ends'...will post a video when done. I was always fascinated by this beatiful effect...patter is difficult with this one...perhaps it may be better to play to music...

Chuck Smile
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1053 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Here is what I came up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oyxxXoiLWc

Chuck
Gaffus Maximus
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Gaffus Maximus
Firestorm60
View Profile
New user
U.K.
44 Posts

Profile of Firestorm60
Does anyone happen to have the instructions for Jack Hughes Joey the clown.?
It is self explanatory but I am puzzled over the wire bracket near the neck and small nail just below on body front. I use it to secure the ballon but I don’t think that was what Jack intended it for
startingout
View Profile
New user
UK
23 Posts

Profile of startingout
Hi.
See JH, has the spirit bell listed, has any one created this?
Just love these effects, bought both copies from Jolyon Jenkins.
Very interested in other methods, also incorporated E*****oM****s, but finding base little too big for the size. Also IT but hate working with this stuff..
Any help be greatly appreciated... Be safe...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jack Hughes World of Magic Series (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL