The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Fred Keating (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

andolini
View Profile
New user
norwood,ma
75 Posts

Profile of andolini
Looking for information on fred keating. what type of magic did he specialize in.are there any films of him performing.what were his favorite routines etc. any info would be appreciated. have a nice day.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Famous for doing the Vanishing Birdcage.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
834 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
There's an pamphlet that was put out by Max Holden and I think sold thru Magic Inc. called "Programmes of Famous Magicians." It was supposed to be the first of two volumes but the second one was never published. I highly recommend it to see how different magicians constructed their acts. It's one of my favorite books to reread. I believe Fred Keating's act is in there (one of them anyway).
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
834 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
"FULL DRESS--NEW YORK CITY 1931--IN ONE--ONE ASSISTANT

With this clever act Keating was the hit of New York. Since then Fred has achieved unusual success in Hollywood and for the present has forsaken magic.
Thimble Production--The usual routine of one to eight thimbles--one on each finger.
The Color Change of a Silk--The silk changes color by passing through the closed hand.
The Vanish of a Silk in a Glass.
The Torn and Restored Card is Found in a Cigarette.
The Chinese Sticks.
The Needle Trick.
The Vanishing Bird Cage.
Keating has a great personality and his patter brought one continuous stream of laughs."

It's not what you do it's how you do it!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
He was a student of Nate Leipzig as was Roy Benson. Todd Karr just gave talk on the three at the LA Conf.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Person With A Username
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of The Person With A Username
Fred Keating also wrote the last chapter of Tarbell Volume Six. He discusses showmanship and the importance of personality in magic. It is quite interesting to read.
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Fred Keating performed an amazing salt pour..can be seen on youtube....I have always wondered if his set up was the same as Roy Bensons...Also James Reneaux performed a Salt pour at the Lambs Club in NYC...was a huge hit...
Best Wishes,
James
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2007-02-15 13:12, jkesler wrote:
Fred Keating performed an amazing salt pour..can be seen on youtube

I think you're confusing Fred Keating with Fred Kaps.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Jim, you are correct...I did have them mixed up, sorry about that. I wish I could go back and edit my post...It is Fred Kaps' "salt pour" which can be seen on youtube.
Best,
James
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Keating was an interesting personality (as are most magicians.) He was famous for the Birdcage and the Needle trick, which he claimed was taught to him by Houdini. Fred was an alcoholic and his career in movies was short-lived. His guardian angel was Tallulah Bankhead, the actress, who looked out for him and cast him as leading man in several plays in which she starred. Keating attempted suicide - slashing his wrists in his hotel room - while performing at a lowbrow nightclub, Spivey's Roof, in New York, in 1948. He called the hotel front desk and said he'd had an "accident." He was patched up and went on to perform until his death in 1961. Fred was gay, and some think that the pressure he felt to not reveal his homosexuality may have led to his drinking and suicide attempt. I've seen a film of him performing on the TV show "It's Magic" hosted by Paul Tripp in the 50's. He had a great voice and stage presence.
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
369 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
Keating also slandered Houdini, according to Christopher's "Houdini: the Untold Story." Keating is the one who floated the story, when Houdini was investigating the Boston medium "Margery" , that Houdini had smuggled a folding ruler into the cabinet to frame Margery. Apparently Keating was mad that Houdini had made some uncomplimentary remarks about his ability as a performer.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Fred Keating (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL