The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Taking care of canes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
Hi! I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this. how do you guys take care of your fantasio canes? I mean what do you do after the performance? Just take it and put it again to its box or have you constructed a special bag for your canes? Thanks!
Any help can do... thanks!
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
880 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I have never found that my vanishing cane has needed any special care. Just keep it in a clean place. Over time if dirt builds up it will scratch up the sides of the cane, which will not only look bad, but will slow it down as well. They don't last forever, but the one I use now is about 14 years old.

When I used to use a fantasio appearing cane I would store it in an open position. I would slightly overextend it and wrap the end with a rubber band to keep it there until I needed it again. That helped to maintain the cane's extension in performance and kept it as fast as a plastic cane can be. My preference these days is for a metal appearing cane and a plastic vanishing cane.
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
I also have a plastic appearing cane, what care do you do to the plastic vanishing cane? I just purchased the plastic vanishing cane..

thanks!
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
880 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I don't really do anything for it. Just keep dirt from getting into the coils. You also want to keep them away from heat. Years ago a friend of mine left his extended in the back window of his car for a day. After that he no longer had a vanishing cane, it became merely a shrinking cane.
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
Ok thanks for the advice! I have a new plastic vanishing cane, just bought it yesterday. thanks!

Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There are some canes and candles I still use that are well over 20 years old. (I have a shoe box of just white vanishing candles that I have used and still use.) Certainly heat is the real killer. Temperature control is VIP.

Please help the silk importer by remembering one thing. Anything that is put on an appearing or vanishing cane or candle (plastic or metal) will ultimately end up on the silk. WD40 serves no purpose at all for these. It won't stop rust. For Walsh canes (blued) gun oil is sometimes used. It will ruin silks! Woolite will usually get out most things. Rinse, Rinse, Rinse.

Lighter fluid will spot some silks. Others it will simply clean. This depends on the dye job.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
calimagician
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of calimagician
When carrying the appearing cane, and I have for over thirty years, I found that a "golf club sleeve", basically a long plastic tube keeps the open cane from getting crushed. The extended cane is slide into the tube which are then placed into in a special compartment located in an Anvil case, along one side. This might be over-kill if you are trouping the props via car/van/SUV. But I fly a lot and well, I take no chances. I have carried the same two canes for the past twenty-five years. Not the first accident.

There are also good "care and feeding" notes in the Fantasio booklets, along with some excellent effects. You might check there.

I have also found a liquid plastic treatment (cleaner) in Scotland that works well at restoring the luster to scratched plastic like that caused by dirt and grit in the coils. Applied in a small amount with cotton (cotton wool) then wiped off with a clean lint free towel. Just don't use too much. Works great.

Hope these suggestions help. Enjoy your cane(s). They are still great with today's audiences. I rarely do a show without them.

Cheers!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
You have discovered a very useful tool to magicians: the golf club sleeve. Someday we should write a book on their uses. (I wonder if any ever get used for golf clubs?)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Maybe, this would work for lubricating a cane: http://www.erosusa.com/pjur_eros_original.html

A drop or two of the stuff would be enough - goes a long way. It may not stain, as long as very little is used. It would wash out of fabrics, anyway.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Alan,

One of the problems with stains on silks, even if they will was out, is what does the audience see?

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2005-12-08 15:11, Bob Sanders wrote:
Alan,

One of the problems with stains on silks, even if they will was out, is what does the audience see?

Bob
Magic By Sander

True, but if the excess silicone lubricant is wiped off, there shouldn't be a problem. Especially, if only a drop is used on the entire cane.
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
579 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I bought a used metal cane at an auction an it was very sticky and slow. I tried oil but as others have said it ruins silks and makes a mess of everything it touches. Then I tried spraying it with Smooth-On's Universal Mold Release and it works great. There is no visible residue. No stains on silks. It opens and closes easily now.
naturalturn
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of naturalturn
I had to replace one of my vanishing canes this year. It lasted about 10 years and as "Forever Plaid" mentioned, once the sides of the cane are scratched off so it's sheen is gone, it will slow down so it won't disappear properly. A bit of vim on the cap will keep it white.
www.facebook.com/RayWongMagic
When Magic Went WONG!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Taking care of canes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL