The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ The Gambling Spot Ľ Ľ Gambling Card Sharps by Scott Lane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devilís Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
Any of you guys got this book? I was going to order a copy and was wondering if it's any good.

They say: "Packed with info about how to recognise card cheaters, well illustrated showing methods and techniques. For expert card sharps."

Regards

Tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
Hmm, I would be interested in hearing of the value of the contents of this book.
"Put your faith in Providence, but always cut the cards"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devilís Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
I can't find anything about this book other than what is qouted above. I am not sure but it seems used copies are going for as much as £150 but it seens we can by them for £20 new! I don't understand it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Never heard of it - what EXACTLY is the title and who is the author? When was it written? And where did you find it for sale?

Thanks in advance for the info...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devilís Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
http://www.gamblingbooks.co.uk/bookshop/......tem=1233

That's all I know Paul.

There are used copies for sale at Amazon I think do a google to make sure. I think when I looked it said the Author was name was Scott "E" Lane. A USA book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/d......-7029545

£190.00 it seems, unless I read it wrong?

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devilís Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksea......mp;itm=6

There is little more deatail there.

I will phone the shop and let you know what they say in the morning.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devilís Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
Found this review:

Very technical book on the art of cheating at poker!!!!!, November 11, 1998
Reviewer: Scott Edward Lane slanemct@earthlink.net (Madison, WI) - See all my reviews
Book Contents Include: Mnemonics as applied to card Sharping, Lane Method for Calculated Cuts, Culls and Stocks, Utility Holding Positions, Strategic Communication Management, Utilizing secret accomplices, Cull and Stock error rate analysis, Deducing envirnmental factors, Misc. card sleights, Defence mechanisms, Troubleshooting a poker game, Defensive game playing habits and style

Tommy
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
Sounds pretty dang intersting.

I'll be the guinea pig. I'll order it tomorrow (well... today, later today).
"Put your faith in Providence, but always cut the cards"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devilís Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
I will phone first Kid and let you know what they say, the shop is in London.
I have been to the shop before and the guys are OK there and they will let me the score with it.

Tommy

Tommy
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
685 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
If it was a tan colored book with black typeset then I had the book. I believe I gave it to Jason England for his library.

Imagine Expert at the Card Table as explained by a Under Graduate Statistics Major. Basically, it's Erdnase but in big, fat, drawn out Engineering language. The Mnemonics is just beatboxing while you riffle stack so as to keep time.

As I recall, Jason did find something of value in it but it sure wasn't the dot matrix derived graphics...
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devilís Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
There is a picture in the link above and it sounds like same book rawdawg.
It sounds very interesting to me as it sounds like work I have used at the table as a dealer with a pal.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devilís Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
They do not have the book in stock it is a speacial order maybe two weeks.

Does anyone know who Scott E Lane is? In a hundred years time we will be wondering who he was.

Tommy
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1692 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Quote:
On 2005-12-01 02:47, rawdawg wrote:
If it was a tan colored book with black typeset then I had the book. I believe I gave it to Jason England for his library.

Imagine Expert at the Card Table as explained by a Under Graduate Statistics Major. Basically, it's Erdnase but in big, fat, drawn out Engineering language. The Mnemonics is just beatboxing while you riffle stack so as to keep time.

As I recall, Jason did find something of value in it but it sure wasn't the dot matrix derived graphics...

Dawg,

I don't recall ever seeing this book, and I'm pretty sure you didn't give me a copy. I'd remember something like that. I do recall you giving me the John Soares book on dice, but not the Lane book.

I've seen the book before however, so perhaps you had a copy and we looked at it? I don't remember where I've seen it before, but I remember the cover.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devilís Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
Must be a first to find a book on cardsharping that Paul didnít know about anyway. What odds could I have got on that?

Tommy
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
685 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
Quote:
On 2005-12-03 14:48, JasonEngland wrote:

Dawg,

I don't recall ever seeing this book....

Jason

You're right... I just found the book in my meager library. I opened it up and promptly got a headache. I did lend it to you for a while, as I recall. I believe you also got a headache...

How's that Scounderel doing in your foyer?

rawdiggity
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
card cheat
View Profile
Elite user
426 Posts

Profile of card cheat
I own the book and would be willing to part with it for a price. It is not only very rare, but out of print.

Let me know in a PM.

CC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ The Gambling Spot Ľ Ľ Gambling Card Sharps by Scott Lane (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL