The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Christmas Songs! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2836 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
What are your most and least favored Christmas songs and why?

Me? "Simply Having A Wonderful Christmastime" - Paul McCartney
Elton John has a Christmas song that I like hearing but can't follow all the lyrics to and don't know the title of.
And the "Christmas Rap," I don't know the woman who sings this, but it's a song about her trying to have a quiet little Christmas without the madness and insanity. Trying to put together a small dinner while keeping running tally of the things that have gone wrong over the course of the year in her attempts to get hooked up with this guy she likes.

Least? "Pretty Paper, Pretty Ribbons of Blue" "Blue Christmas" that #$%@ "Shoe" song and pretty much any song that brings up the fact that this is a DEPRESSING time of the year for so many people! I know that! I don't need it rubbed in my face!
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The christmas rap song was by the "waitresses" and the lead singer sadly passed away a few years back. I thnk it was cancer.

My favorite christmas song has always been "father christmas" by the kinks, which while sounding cynical if you follow the words, is actually a song about how everyone should have a merry christmas regardless of theri station in life.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Small-hands Luke
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Small-hands Luke
It's weird how Xmas songs can worm their way into your makeup as a person. I have no interest in any of the kinds of songs or singers that perform Xmas songs...unless its those very Xmas songs. I like so many around Xmas time.

Winter Wonderland, Let it Snow, Deck the Halls, Rockin' Round the Xmas Tree, White Christmas, etc.

There are some I can't stand as well. Blue Xmas, Have Yourself a Merry Little Xmas, Little Drummer Boy, and, yes, Silent Night! *gulp*
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
There is only ONE that puts me over the edge and drives me out of a store...Feliz Navidad by Jose F. Drives me nuts...repetitive to distraction....like someone shaking a tin can full of rocks in my ear.

Other than that... favs are Little Saint Nick (Beach Boys) and Rudolph (Autry)

and one Dean Martin did but I don't know the name of it...obscure but nice.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
One Christmas, while stationed in Athens with the Air Force, our NCO association took over the Armed Forces Radio studio on base and barricaded ourselves in. We "forced" the DeeJay to play "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" nonstop until we collected our $5000.00 "ransom" for a local orphanage. It helped that the base commander had ordered every radio in on-base offices to be turned on and then somehow became unreachable during the 24 hour period involved. Odd that! The Greeks must have thought we'd gone collectively mad...or madder...but, God Bless 'em, their sense of humor saw it through!

Still..damage was done. To this day I break out in hives and develop the sudden urge to wear a black ski mask whenever I hear that song.

Those were the days!
<sigh> Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I'm not sure that I have a favorite song, but I love the soundtrack to The Peanuts Christmas Special, which turns 40 this holiday season!
There is also one song that I found hilarious a few years ago. One radio station played it...a song about a girl wanting a specific dolly for Christmas that if "you put your hands around her neck, she chokes, turns purple, and dies...." You have to hear the entire song to realize just how funny it is. I wish I knew who sings it or how I can get a copy.
I also like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I have a favorite Christmas CD (1987) called "A Tapestry of Carols" by Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band. They took all the old carols and rediscovered them. The instrumentation is eclectic, perhaps even we could say pagan, and some of the old carols really sound like an attempt to blend old solstice songs with new Christian ideas ("The Holly and the Ivy" for example).

Here's a link:

http://www.gaudela.net/prior/tapestry_of_carols.html

If you are conflicted in your feelings toward this holiday, as I am, consider "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear," which is done in a very original way on this recording. Here are the lyrics, in part:

Yet with the woes of sin and strife
The world hath suffered long;
Beneath the angel-strain have rolled
Two thousand years of wrong;
And man, at war with man, hears not
The love song which they bring:
O hush the noise, ye men of strife,
And hear the angels sing.

For lo! the days are hastening on,
By prophet bards foretold,
When, with the ever-circling years,
Shall come the Age of Gold;
When peace shall over all the earth
Its ancient splendors fling,
And all the world give back the song
Which now the angels sing.

Now there's a message. The angels have been trying to get through to us with their song of peace and joy for centuries, but with all the sounds of steel against steel and things blowing up, we can't hear them. One of these days, we can hope to sing back.

Peace to all!

Yours,

Paul
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Favorite?
Probably Nat King Cole's "THE CHRISTMAS SONG (MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU)".
Great voice and nice lyrics.

Least favorite?
"The Chipmunk Song" by the Chipmunks.
Just grates on my nerves for some reason.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Since you ask about least favorite, any of that shopping mall Christmas shopping music, uptempo and fake cheerful. It sounds to me like the slogans played to factory workers in a totalitarian state, reminding them to do their duty (shop shop shop) for the good of society.

Alvin and the Chipmunks is at least irritating enough so that it would distract shoppers from their duty, so it isn't played in that setting.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the barking dogs doing Jingle Bells. That one is irritating enough that it hardly gets any airplay, though. It could be useful in a fundraising situation like the one Skip describes.

Yours,

Paul
SantaClaus
View Profile
New user
North Pole
28 Posts

Profile of SantaClaus
Favourite, hands down ... "O Holy Night".

Least favourite ... "The Twelve Days of Christmas". Even more annoying are the millions of parodies.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
WHITE CHRISTMAS BY BING CROSBY

CHESTNUTS ROASTING NAT KING COLE

SANTA BABY ERTHA KITT

CHRISTMAS TIME JOHNNY MATHIS
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Viny's In The Lounge! Smooth.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2322 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Doug and Vinny, I don't think I have ever seen your avatars back to back before. You guys look like brothers!

Least favorite Christmas song: Paul McCartney's "Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas time."

Favorite Christmas Song: Darlene Love's "All Alone on Christmas." You can't go wrong with a saxaphone durring the Christmas season. Smile
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Nice choice Vinnie and I can visualize you sitting in a lounge sipping some wine listening to your favorite tunes.

I like most Christmas songs and do get a chuckle when I hear the Aussie Song, Six White Boomers..think that's what it's called. Gotta love the humor!

Skip Way, thanks for sharing that story it was priceless.

I'm fortunate to work with children and nothing beats listening to hundreds of childrens voices singing Christmas songs.

Chrystal

Umm I also chuckle at the dog version of Jingle Bells which shows I don't always have impeccable taste. :O)
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Chrystal,

In your case, the dogs doing Jingle Bells is OK, because it becomes a sing along when you're with your pals.

Yours,

Paul
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Brian...that's what Vinny & his wife thought too so it must be true! I'm a long lost Italian orphan! Left on the side of the road in Long Beach.

Now put us both up against Kondini and get more freaked out. 'Cept he has an egg for a head.

Oh...and it's obvious from his photo that Vinny sucks his thumb...nasty habit.
D
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4170 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I agree with SantaClaus: "O Holy Night".

There is even a webpage where you can download all kinds of people singing it. Good stuff!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
Classic Favorites

Dean Martin's "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm" and even though it was done to death last year, Dino's "Baby, It's Cold Outside"
I can listen to them all year round - and sometimes do.

Contempory Favorite

Shawn Morey's "Dear Santa" - great reminder that we Americans have it pretty good.

Least Favorite:

Any version of "Do You Hear What I Hear" - whiniest smarmfest I've ever endured.
And (sure to get complaints on this one):
John and Yoko's "So This is Christmas" - Yoko's screeching "Meeeery, Meeeery Kreezzzmazzzz" belongs in a Hammer film, not in a Christmas playlist.

e
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3419 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Least favorite -

"A Holly Jolly Christmas" by Burl Ives...talk about fingernails across a blackboard.

Second Runner-up - (Actually a tie!)

"The Chipmunk Song" and "Feliz Navidad" by Jose Feliciano

I like practically everything else, including "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer", "Grandma's Killer Fruitcake" and "Grandpa's Gonna Sue The Pants Offa Santa".

Have any of your local radio stations gone to the 24/7 Christmas music format yet? Ours started right after Thanksgiving Day. Santa may be staring down the business end of my double barrel by the time he slides down my chimney.

Cheers! Smile Smile Smile Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Favorites:

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day

O Holy Night (I often tell people that American Idol should cut to the chase. Everyone has to sing "O Holy Night" and "The Star Spangled Banner" as their first audition.)

Anything from Christmas CDs by Vince Guaraldi (the Peanuts music), Harry Connick, Jr., Relient K, and Sawyer Brown

The Christmas Song

When it comes down to it, I'm a big fan of Christmas music, and I like most of it. So my "don't like" list is a lot shorter:

The dogs barking "Jingle Bells" -- it's funny once, but after that..... (Sorry Chrystal)

Blue Xmas by Miles Davis. Very cynical anti-holiday-joy song.

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Christmas Songs! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL