We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Danny Hustle's stupid busking tip of the week. #2 (and #3) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Okay, here it is, stupid busking tip of the week part two (and three).

Think of the physical structure of the location when selecting your pitch.

I used to work a small area where people could sit on a wall out in front of me while I did my show. This was great for getting a crowd, but I found that because of the wall it was harder to move them right up to the table. They all wanted to sit. This would cause the rest of the crowd to draw in behind these people on the other side of the wall, giving them a perfect opportunity to ditch me as I was going into my hat line.

I can’t tell you how many times I wanted to pull my hair out after I’d just done a show for 50 people and killed them, but the only people who would pay were the 7 or 8 wall sitters.

Sonny Holiday pulled me aside one day and pointed this out to me, suddenly I felt like the poster boy for missing the obvious.

I moved my pitch TWELVE FEET yup, just twelve feet and instantly tripled my hats. Yeesh..

People always ask me why I’ll always share a spot with Sonny, “But you’re giving up half your money!” Yeah, right. That still gives me 25% more money than I was getting before he pulled me aside.

That should probably be tip number three. When a guy who has been doing what you want to do for twenty or thirty years offers you free advice? Take it, thank him, and try and pay him back the best way that you can, even if it’s just sharing your pitch. Respect and common courtesy will never cause you problems, and will often produce unexpected rewards.

Sonny did some GREAT shows this weekend. He recently picked up a set of ten Morgan dollars and was doing all the fans, productions, and flourishes. There is nothing more entertaining than watching the grin on that man’s face grow each time a surprised expletive is shouted from someone in his audience. In Sonny’s world I don’t think he finds anything finer than a group of folks who can truly appreciate what he’s doing for them.

It was a great weekend.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Location, Location, Location!

Great example, and terrific advice: Make sure they have a clear path to the hat!

Amazing how easy it is to overlook the obvious!

And as for advice? Who would have turned down hitting tips from Ted Williams? But as perfromers we can sometimes let our egos get in the way.

Listen; think; and apply what fits!

But never fail to Listen to those who have already earned the right to speak, and who out of their own generosity are willing to tell you what works!

One again Danny! You have sifted the bottom of the stream of Busking reality, and pulled out nuggets of gold to share with us!

Thanks MUCH!!!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I am predicting a lot of magicians being physically assaulted by irrate audiences next year when they venture out on the streets and not only try to do Gazzo's routine move for move, but line for line as well.
Remember tapes are an aid in learning not a media to mimmic.

By the way the tapes are great!
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Good Point Payne!

I never copy another performers routine and lines. I use the tapes and live performance to obtain seeds to be nurtured in my own greeehouse.

Believe me, Gazzo's style is so far from mine, that I would have to completely transform my personna to even want to get away with what he does. And that surely isn't going to happen!

But I certainly agree, that if you did copy Gazzo; line for line, you might be in for the "rude awakening" that what works for one person will not necessarily work for everyone.

And although I appreciate and personally enjoy his performance, I think that one Gazzo is more than enough!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5427 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
i think gazzo is GREAT!!!!.....one of the very best...and certainly a really strong money earner on the streets.....i do cellinis ope routone...i have changed the patter some....and i cant get it right....i mean its never as good as when cellini does it...technically it is...but his presentation....its so much better...because its his....gazzos lines...well they aren't gazzos...very little is...but he delivers them really well....like i say, i really like gazzo....i use a few things of gazzos...although they aren't really his...but i put them in my show, in a different texture...so they work for me...but if i were to copy gazzis show...it wouldn't work.....good luck to all the new gazzos...by the way....gazzo sold his show...lines and all...so they are now who evr buys the video....
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Almost ten years old but oh so relevant.
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
Quote:
On 2002-11-11 18:06, Payne wrote:
I am predicting a lot of magicians being physically assaulted by irrate audiences next year when they venture out on the streets and not only try to do Gazzo's routine move for move, but line for line as well.

Yup - they're still out there. I happened upon two acts at the same festival within 100 yards of each doing Gazzo's C&B's. pretty lame.
Tamariz
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Tamariz
That's quite sad to hear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Danny Hustle's stupid busking tip of the week. #2 (and #3) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL