We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Inked skin... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
What do you guys think of tattoos? I am interested to hear what you think about inking and especially what you think about it within magic. I very rarely see a magician with any work done...

L.
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
I believe David Blaine has a tattoo (at least one). I have one, but it is covered for more than half of the year. There are probably a few others here with tattoos, too.

Permanent tattoos used in magic could be limiting. "Look, I have your card tattooed on my forearm!" The force would be a little obvious once people discover you that everyone ends up selecting the ace of hearts. Penn and Teller used temporary tattoos on a television performance, though. There are probably other creative uses.

Visible tattoos can be distracting, which lead some to forgo them. What is the image you want to portray? What is your target audience? Criss Angel and Lance Burton chose completely different looks. Reputation and skill aside, Lance would probably find it far easier to gain access and acceptance in more areas than would Mr. Angel. Heck, if I wanted to work corporate shows, I'd need to make changes.

Okay, I think I've been completely unclear. Smile What are your opinions?
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
Well...

I have tattoos.

All of which are covered in a long sleeve shirt.

I agree it all depends on the image you personally wish to communicate.

I am heavily involved in music as well as magic so the tats kinda go with me as a person. I do, however, also think they can close certain doors.

"Magical" tats are, in my opinon, useless - a one trick pony as they say.

At the end of the day, it is down to you as a person - I was just intrigued as in my other passion (music) it is hard to go for a day without seeing inked skin and yet in magic it is very rare.

Just a thought....
Seance
View Profile
Veteran user
Talking on the other side with
392 Posts

Profile of Seance
The one thing about tattoos is they are PERMANENT.

When you are young, it looks absolutely right. In forty years though, your grandkids are asking, "Grandma, how come you have JUDAS PRIEST ROCKS! on your arm?"

(Don't ask about the consequences of your true love's name etched for all time when you are on your SECOND marriage....) Smile
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
I think a well placed tat can be great. However the 'leopard man' (90 something percent of his body coverd in leopard skin tattoo) may have a little trouble finding a job in certain fields!

Seance is right. Tattoos are PERMANENT. If you are going to get one I think that it is important to get one that means something and is not purely for cosmetic reasons. Your idea of what looks good could be dramatically different in 40 years!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Gordon_ala
View Profile
New user
Scotland
2 Posts

Profile of Gordon_ala
I assume (can only hope) your musical taste is not along the lines of "S Club," and if this is the case, I believe there to be no God.

Now if you could magic “tats” away, I know of a few people who would be well interested in seeing you. Who could have ever thought “it’s up my sleeve” was a good thing to get tattooed on your head?

Cheers, Gordon
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
I managed to get through 4 years of non-com military service without getting one, and may be the only one who made it. I've always looked at it this way "Why would I put art on my body that I wouldn't be caught dead with on my wall?" (That line isn't mine, BTW, but I don't know where it comes from). If I ever find a tattoo that I might like on my wall, maybe I'll get it...

Plus, my extreme paranoia precludes me from adding any avoidable identifying marks Smile.

-bigwolf {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Inked skin... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL