The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Haunted Key (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
~Raven~
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of ~Raven~
Is the Haunted Key a good effect? Is it hard to learn? Thanks Smile
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.

For those who do not, none will suffice."

Joe Dunninger
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
There is a very long thread on this in one of the forums already. Use the search function in the upper left corner. Its very easy.(the key)
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
The haunted key is easy. Ed Fowler sells one that is very good. Now go to the search engine (the key).
You have to give it away to keep it.
eric2104
View Profile
New user
saint-martin (French West Indies)
87 Posts

Profile of eric2104
Hi,

As already mentioned in a previous post, Haunted Key is a very good effect.

Technically, it does not require complicated sleights (even though you'll probably have to experiment a lot before getting it right). What's actually more difficult is to find a good story to "sell" the effect in a convincing way. The thread @ Café will give you some good ideas.

And by the way, any kind of mortice (skeleton) key will work; you don't need to buy a special one for this effect. ANY key of that type will work.

Hope this helps.
Best,
Eric.
Smile
"All magic is mental"
Tony Shiels.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
If you use a skeleton key and also have an M5 or similar, the sky is the limit on this one. Bringing in the M5 realy fries the specs.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Quote:
On 2002-11-11 14:33, ~Raven~ wrote:
Is the Haunted Key a good effect? Is it hard to learn? Thanks

I don't really like it too much, the method seems too obvious
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
The obvious method is the bait.

Its all in the quality of the performance. And how strong the m****t is. Smile

The key is as good as the chicken bone, when you figure out how to make it dance. Use the smaller skeleton key, like the one for built in cabinets, about 2 1/4" long. not the regular size one.
MxJoKeR
View Profile
Regular user
Nowhere, Oklahoma
173 Posts

Profile of MxJoKeR
I remember posting a big long post on this a while ago. I think that you should search before posting just to make things a bit less cluttered.
Do or Do-Not, There is no try--Yoda
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
It is exremely effective when you make the key turn over in your audience members hand.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Mickey Cohen
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Mickey Cohen
I carry my Key in a glorpy.I end my routine by placing in my glorpy to put it away and get one more animation but this time out of my hand . Very surprising little kicker.
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
You may want to check Barrie Richardson's Theater of the Mind - there is a similar routine (animation only) that can be done with a borrowed skeleton-type key
thatmagicguy
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
35 Posts

Profile of thatmagicguy
I've been playing with Richardson's Haunted key routine, but the, ah, gimmick is giving me fits to 'animate' the key in a closed hand. Anyone have any tips on that?
I'm moving back to Vegas.....anyone there that can help me out in getting adjusted to the Sin City again!?!!?
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Love it! very powerful.
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
shammond
View Profile
New user
Ohio
56 Posts

Profile of shammond
It's not hard to master, just takes a little patience to find the sweet spot and feel for making the key move. Having the key look old and antique also adds to the whole effect. Really spooky in the right hands with the right build-up.
Air56
View Profile
Regular user
SC
140 Posts

Profile of Air56
Raven-
Look for "Presenting the Haunted Key" by Dick Williams. It has tips on handling and five routines. I agree with the above postings that a good presentation makes the "Key" quite effective.

Smile Smile Smile
DJM " Not all who wander are lost"
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Quote:
On 2003-05-22 11:30, thatmagicguy wrote:
I've been playing with Richardson's Haunted key routine, but the, ah, gimmick is giving me fits to 'animate' the key in a closed hand. Anyone have any tips on that?

It takes some patience, true. I first learned it using a feather, with little "cuts" on it
JamesD
View Profile
New user
Lexington KY
70 Posts

Profile of JamesD
Great effect. I use a matching set of haunted key /golden key, nice combo effect there - as they examine the haunted key first, switch, then move the tine around and reexamine the key.

Also - I've been trying to perform haunted key on top of the tip of a finger pointing upwards. I've not had any luck. I read about the effect in Fisher's 'Body Magic'. Anyone do this successfully?
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
Yes the key with m5.
Killer Diller Smile
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
magic 12376
View Profile
Regular user
Wilkes-Barre Pa
116 Posts

Profile of magic 12376
About six years ago a friend of mine was helping to organize a haunted house at Halloween time. They couldn't afford to use large elaborate effects so they decided to use a few small magic tricks throughout the duration of the tour to sell the idea of the place being haunted.

I don't like the haunted key, but felt it was fitting to the mood they wanted to create, and was cheap enough that each guide could have one with them at the beginning of the tour. The guide was a "Real Estate Agent" attempting to sell a haunted house to some "prospective purchasers" (the tour customers). The agent would caution that the house was so badly overrun by visitors from the beyond that even the key was possessed.

From that point the haunted key was performed then used to open the door of the home. The tour was then peppered with other spirit type effects such as spirit slates and what not. Outside this situation I have yet to see a presentation for spirit key that looked convincing to me.
Ronald R. Romiski
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
Oh that haunted key will scare the beejeebees out of you! Smile
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Haunted Key (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL