The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Criss Angel "Masterminds" DVD - Self Levitation » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
I think this is the only spot we really disagree Entity and I think it's a minor difference of opinion. I don't think secret or presentation can survive on their own, and I do agree that you need both to create wonder. I guess I just feel that the secret is not what the people will remember, because if you are doing it right, they won't know what the secret is. Besides, if you have good presentation, it not only hides the method (like my 2 examples in my earlier post) but it also focuses people on the story and the effect and NOT the mechanics. What people remember about our magic is the presentation, the pictures we paint in their minds. The point I'm trying to make is that there are really great magicians out that can amaze and entertain people with grade school level "secrets". I've heard laypeople say things like, "I'm pretty sure I know how he did that, but it looked awesome!." I think we forget sometimes that even when people think they know our secrets, they are rarely correct. But as we all know, they only have to think they know the secret and they are satisfied. If we put our emphasis on great presentation, they are less apt to worry about our methods, real or imagined. I too wish that our secrets were not as readily available as they are, but while people can run out and buy the tricks I perform in my show, they can't buy my presentation, personality, delivery, timing, and character. I truly believe that those things are much more important than which method I choose to use. I think we are on the same page regarding secrets and presentation, the only difference I see is that our ratios may be slightly different. I think I may be up to 94% though!
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
jfkkraemer
View Profile
Elite user
SoCal
481 Posts

Profile of jfkkraemer
This has certainly turned into a very interesting read, thank guys for all the well thought out post.

Jeff
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Only 6% left to convince you of. I shall contemplate my next gambit and get back to you.

Merry Christmas all.

- entity
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
Merry Christmas Entity!

-James

James Anthony
vanilla192
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Canada
94 Posts

Profile of vanilla192
Wonderfull thread guys, thanks for the great posts
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
I would like to add that if a movement began in our brotherhood to take magic back into the underground, I would jump on board immediately. I'm just convinced that too many manufacturers, distributors and creators of magic see too many dollar signs with the current trend of selling to the masses to go with us. While I still believe that only a small percentage of our secrets fall into the hands of the mildly curious, it would be better for all of us if we could protect all of our secrets from those who don't share the same love and interest for this unique and rewarding artform.

This sad reality of our current situation is why I focus on presentation rather than mechanics. I don't think we have the power to protect all of our secrets, but by creating personal versions of our effects, I think we can do a better job of disguising our secrets. As a token of my respect to those brother magicians who fear the overexposure of our art, I hereby promise to be even more vague and nondescript in my explanations to people as to how I learned my magic. Please keep in mind that I have NEVER exposed magic to the public, and the only classes I gave were to children who had to pay and sign up on their own. Even though I haven't told people about our local magic shop in years, I will make a concerted effort to help those who are dedicated to protecting our secrets. I will find a way to remain ethical and honest (well, as honest as a magician can be) while still helping to protect the secrecy of the source of magic. I hope that nobody thinks this is a sarcastic post. I've given this a lot of thought and even though I don't necessarily agree with the current paranoia in our brotherhood, I have enough respect for my fellow magicians to respect their beliefs and find a way to keep my convictions (trying to not be a charlatan) while still helping those to protect our art.

It looks like you got your 6% Entity! What can I say, I'm a team player! If my fellow magicians believe that telling people how they can also be magicians might hurt our artform, then I will respect that. Now, if someone is persistent and bugs me to death, I guess that will be how I know they are serious and maybe I can put them on the path.

I think I just love magic so much that I think it would be cool if everyone knew a little magic. But I can see Entity's side that a lot of people may just jump on the path to get a peek and not follow it like we have.

James Anthony
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1415 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Here Here for the Underground Magic Railroad... I am up for it. We shall start our own society. I guarantee that magic prices will drop...

(chants) MAGIC MAGIC NINJAS WHAT?? MAGIC MAGIC NINJAS WHAT?

Jester
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
It begins anew with you.

Perhaps the attitude to take is : "I love Magic so much I think it would be great if everyone EXPERIENCED great Magic".

100%

YAY.

- entity
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Criss Angel "Masterminds" DVD - Self Levitation » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL