The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Alternative objects for color changing knives (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Coffe Stir thingys
Virtually any Table Knife
Flat Suckers are totally killer...here is a hilarious little bit I came up with years ago that is in wonderfully poor taste...yes that is a pun as you will see:

Take a regular flat sucker. Glue a small fake plastic fly on one side or stick on with Magicians Wax. Have dublicate fly finger palmed in r.h. Now, bring sucker out of mouth with fly on bottom. Show sucker to be blank on both sides. Now, place in mouth and turn. Make funny face and as you draw sucker from mouth show the fly. As you flip the sucker pretend to take fly off. Show sucker blank on both sides again. Do for as long as seems in good taste..... ;-}

Any round pen with clip, vanish and appear clip. Pretend to break it off and restore.

Piece of chalk

Crayons

Best,
Brad Burt
ryoma4148
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of ryoma4148
Color pencil is good too Smile
Magic CPA
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Magic CPA
How about "The Hot Rod pen"?
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
This isn't exactly a color changing knifes alternative but it uses the paddle move and it's pretty neat. I honestly can't remember where I first learned about it. I've used it for years so I might have even learned it from some kids magic book or something. I've come up with some neat uses for it though.

If you've ever sent flowers to someone they put a clear plastic stem thing in it to hold the card. It's kind of like a long fork. You can put a card on it and do the paddle move to show both sides to be the same then make it change.

Click here to see a picture of what I'm talking about.

Here are a few ways I've used it:

You can put a business card on it. Your excuse when using this is so that you won't be able to touch the card yet it never leaves their site. So you can show both sides of the card to be blank then make the printing appear on it. It's kind of neat to hold it out and let them take it off for you can keep it.

If you have a double facer card (different card on either side) you can make a card turn into another card. Remove it from the stem onto the deck then do a double or triple turn over to hand it out.

It's a nice little prop that seems impromptu to work with (most people will recognize them).

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
dg
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of dg
Following on from Ron's idea which is great by the way. This is something that I came up with a few years ago.
I later found out that John Bannon has a similar routine involving `photographic paper' and a pair of tweezers.

The Wand Paddle

Requisite materials

a)1 wand approx. 6inches; long x ¼inch square; Square in cross section with a split at one end to receive a mini playing card (use a cut down chopstick)

b) One card blank on one side printed on the other ; we will assume it is the jack of clubs (JC).

c) One mini blank card printed as the full sized card in b).

d) Full deck of normal cards.

e) One normal blank faced card to match the deck just in case.

Preparation

Place full sized card on the bottom of the deck with the JC showing, place mini card and wand in your pocket and your ready to go.

Routine.

Explain to the spectator that they are going to perform the magic trick for themselves.

First you need a deck of cards, Hindu force the JC on them let them take a good look at it and then square up cards with gaff in middle. (The Hindu force is good as it shows a lot of backs). As they are now a magician they need a wand, bring out mini wand, comedy by play as you say it was left in your jacket when it went to the cleaners. Also to assist them in their magic you say you have a small card to go with the small wand. This is to help them remember their card.

Bring out mini card with blank face showing. Place it in end of wand and do a couple of paddle moves to make it appear it is blank on both sides. Spec signs and writes the name of selected card on blank side. Table the and with card still in it, blank side up.

Tell spec to carefully pick up wand and tap the top of the deck, which will make their selected card turn face up in the deck.

Immediately spread deck to show blank card. Slide out card and start going through all the others to find their card. (Again comedy by play looking for it under table pockets etc.)

Finally tell them they can have mini card as souvenir when they take it out shout and get them to turn card over that its jumped onto the back of their card.

You can put blank faced card on bottom of deck to tidy up and casually DL a couple of times. Cop the blank card off the bottom and replace it with a real blank faced card switched from your pocket if you are really thorough.

Also youc an use the mini wand paddle for a variety of uses, mini dry wipe cards for jumping dots. print a business card etc...
David
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Toothbrushes!

(With the caps from the toothpaste for a thimble routine.)

(And with dental Floss for the Gypsy Thread.)

Practicing in front of the mirror will feel very natural!
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of Justin R
Martin Lewis has a color changing pencil on his Close-up Dvd. You can see a demo here:http://www.mymagic.com/lewis.htmIf I remember correctly part of the color changing pencil routine is shown at the end of the demo.

Does anybody here have this dvd and can give a review of the effect?
Hayre
View Profile
Regular user
Arkansas
188 Posts

Profile of Hayre
I still love the knives (or knife), and still perform the knives. However, it is true that there are certain parts of the country where they are not politically correct...luckily, I don't live in one of those areas. But even in areas where knives are acceptable and common, the ones in common use today bear little resemblance to the older style of pocket knives, which most color changing sets are based on. Only Case remains prominent as a maker of these old style pocket knives. The newer knives are generally flatter and wider, and almost bear no resemblance to the ones used for the color change. So the use of a color change set, which initially was supposed to look like an ordinary object you might carry, instead becomes almost like another magic prop, due to its dated look. I guess you could call it your grandfather's knife.....
robertmichaels
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of robertmichaels
Color changing BIC is good for me, because I use it during my strolling. It flows nicely after something is burned. However, Paul Greens Pygmy paddles are a 10 because of the spectator interaction. Its not just a color change, but a signature change, which is nice.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
This is from my "Rune Sticks" effect description in The Wizards' Journal #9 on my site:

The Magic Rune Sticks was developed as a way for me to enjoy doing Ken Allen's Jumping Gems routine once more, this time as a Wizard instead of as a Magician.

The Wizard shows a bag and dumps out a bunch of short ( 2 and one half inch) sticks onto the table. He claims they are rune sticks for predicting the future, but the runes are invisible and only show up after they have been handled by the person seeking the prediction. He allows a spectator to search through the rune sticks, looking them over carefully, and when he feels drawn to a particular stick, to hand it to the Wizard for interpretation.

The person does so, noting that the sticks are all plain black sticks with no runes or lettering of any kind on any side. He hands the Wizard the stick. The Wizard flips the rune stick about and then says, "Ah! The Good Luck rune! See? It has appeared just there."

The Wizard points to the end of the stick and shows a little golden rune that has
appeared on the end of the stick, claiming that it means good luck. "You don't read ancient Celtic runes? Here, I'll translate it for you." The Wizard shakes the rune stick and the runes rearrange themselves into English letters spelling out the words "GOOD LUCK!"

"This means that in a day or so, you’ll have some very good luck and you must be certain to contact me and tell me all about it when it happens." This makes a good excuse to give the person your business card with your contact information on it!

"Let's see if we can get some verification from one of the other rune sticks," says the Wizard. "Draw out a second one for me so I can compare the results."

The Wizard sees nothing on the rune stick and so asks the spectator to draw out a third. But suddenly a diamond appears on the end of the rune stick the Wizard is holding. "I was holding it at the wrong end!" exclaims the Wizard. "It seems this stick confirms that you will have some very good luck very soon. Let's see if we can determine how soon."

The Wizard waves the third stick and the diamond jumps from the second stick to the third, and then back again. Do you recognize Ken Allen's Jumping Gems back in the story? So now both gems jump onto one stick, one at each end, then both jump together to the same end of the same stick.

"Diamonds are a good thing," says the Wizard, "but the gem stone of true good luck is the red ruby. There it is now, and I believe the rune sticks are telling us your good luck will be happening two days from now, although it could be two weeks or two months or even two years... rune sticks don't have a very good sense of time. Be sure and call me when the good luck happens to you." As he speaks thus, the Wizard packs up all his rune sticks in the bag once more and moves on to other topics of Wizardly discussion.

Easy to make from inexpensive craft store supplies as you sit in front of your TV for an evening or two!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
wingz
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of wingz
Could we modernize it with Color Changing "Swiss Army" knives?

Quote:
On 2006-10-10 17:45, Hayre wrote:
I still love the knives (or knife), and still perform the knives. However, it is true that there are certain parts of the country where they are not politically correct...luckily, I don't live in one of those areas. But even in areas where knives are acceptable and common, the ones in common use today bear little resemblance to the older style of pocket knives, which most color changing sets are based on. Only Case remains prominent as a maker of these old style pocket knives. The newer knives are generally flatter and wider, and almost bear no resemblance to the ones used for the color change. So the use of a color change set, which initially was supposed to look like an ordinary object you might carry, instead becomes almost like another magic prop, due to its dated look. I guess you could call it your grandfather's knife.....
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20498 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Since I live in Alabama where everybody totes a real knife, we might have magicians doing Non-Color Changing Knives.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Wingz,
I have a set of CC swiss army knives. I think they were from Ronjo. They are rather wide and not particulaly suited for the various things one might do in a CC knife routine.

I generally reccomend Joe Mogar's knives for several reasons:
1- Good size
2- good shape
3- Lot's of different knives available, not counting custom sets Joe will make up for you.

4- possably the best reason: They are still being made and you can easily replace one that gets lost or damaged. Try doing that with your Sander's set!
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Alternative objects for color changing knives (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL