The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Abrakadabra rabbit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
Hi!

I'm planning to study magic with rabbits, I'm new using rabbit in my magic act, I just want to ask if there's any book or videos that teaches magic with rabbits? and what should I consider when I will buy a rabbit? what kind? color? its house? ambiance? thanks!

any help can do.. thanks!
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Cardcaptor,
I don't know of any magic books dedicated to using rabbits. I looked for them when I got my first rabbit. For rabbit care many books are available in libraries and book stores.

You can also search the Café for rabbit effects and find what people like to use.

good luck.

Oliver
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Ambiance is very important to the rabbit. They prefer soft music and candlelight.

Seriously, The Tarbell Course has a number of effects using rabbits.
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
There is a book called, "The Bunny Book For Magicians".

Make sure you have a hutch for the bunny to live in before you breing it home. You will also need a portable hutch (Pet carrier) to transport it. If you have more than one, they will need seperate living quarters and carriers.

I recommend a purebred Netherland Dwarf, unless you want a large breed. Color is up to you, but white shows up well in most production boxes and against dark backgrounds.

Try to find a reputable rabbit breeder. You can get taken if you don't know what you're looking for. Also, make sure to check for upper/lower tooth alignment.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
There is a lot said on rabbits including books. Check this section out thoroughly. Do an Internet search on rabbit care and lots more will come up.

The Bunny book is one of the best books out there, if you can find one. (Check Denny & Lee)

If given a choice go with a male rabbit because, females have a tendency to bite, bark and scratch. (At least the one's I've encountered)
Dennis Michael
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I agree with with Dennis about the gender choice. I forgot to mention that in my response. I only owned one female, (versus 6 males) but she was much more 'hateful' than any male rabbit I have owned. Also, I don't know if this applies to all breeds. I have only owned Netherlands during my adult life.
Mister Mystery
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

I've owned flimish giants, and the dwarfs are a little more edgy than the big ones.
Dennis Michael
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
Thank you so much for your help guys! ok now I'm almost ready to buy a rabbit, I think the breader here in our area sells rabbits by pair (1 male and 1 female) if this happens is it ok to put them in one house? I will also look for some books for rabbit magic. thank you so much!
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Don't put them in the same 'house'. A male/female pair will have many babies. Rabbits also fight, so they need to be separated.
Mister Mystery
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
Ah OK, thanks regan! Can anyone give me a link where I can see a picture of a nice rabbits 'house'? So I know what will I buy or make. Thanks everyone! I will post again to this topic if I already have a rabbit.

thanks!

RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
HAHAHA, Denny & Regan, it must be your way with the ladies! Smile I've only had a problem with one male rabbit over the years. He would attack my hand when I stuck it in his hutch to feed him. The females and the other males were fine. Maybe I just lucked out.

All the best

Rob
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Rob,

I can't speak for Dennis, but you may be right about my way with the ladies. Hehehehe

:)

Cardcaptor,

Here's a link.

http://www.epetpals.com/rabbit_cages.htm
Mister Mystery
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

I have three males and one female rabbit. Maybe she is so cranky because she is surrounded by males. Maybe the males are all being so nice, because they want me to put them in with her! (Yes, they are breedable)

Then again, what female wouldn't be a little cranky with three males who keep shoving their nose through the cage for a sniff.
Dennis Michael
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Den is going to love this!

The rabbit Lucy and I have been using (I think since April 2002) was originally named Maxwell. However, When the vet came to the house to give shots to all the animals (for those who don't know, Lucy and I live on the Ark! There are ten acres of animals here.) she told us to change his name to Maxine. He's a she. So we have had both as the same rabbit this time. Before Lucy started using rabbits in her show, my pattern was to use one a few weeks and give him away and buy another very young one. The really embarrassing part of this is that we never really checked the rabbit out to know its gender. And Lucy is not only a physician but on the Animal Shelter Board. If it helps, Maxine behaves just like she did as Maxwell. Rabbits can become real pets.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I hate to admit it Bob, but a similar thing happened with my female bunny that I was speaking of in the above posts.

I was in need of a white bunny, but my regular breeder didn't have any at the time. I found another breeder that had some white babies. I bought baby that I was told was a male Netherland Dwarf. This Dwarf acted different than any other Dwarf I had ever owned. I didn't know why, until it got a little older, and I discovered that 'he' was a she.

I used her for several years and she did fine in shows, but she was the most temperamental rabbit I have had. Maybe blaming it on gender is unfair, I'm not completely sure of the reason, but I know 'he'....I mean she, was meaner than my others. Now that I think about it, maybe it was because I was calling her a 'him' for all those months.

Regan
Mister Mystery
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Add us to the list of "is it a he or a she?" The lop ear in my avatar was purchased from a pet shop. It was just so friendly. When you opened the cage door, it would come to see you and want to be petted. It would soak up all the attention you could give it.

Well, poor thing got mites and started to go bald so off we go to the vet for the cure. During its state of baldness, we noticed "lumps." Since we were told be the pet store that it was a female, we feared the poor thing might have cancer. The vet set us straight, Daisy became Dagwood. Turns out they're retractable and that along with the fur and being told it was female in the first place we just never noticed "them" before. (The mites also cleared up and the fur came back fine.)

Dagwood has since gone to the great hutch in the sky and has been replaced with Bijou. Bijou, a papered, purebread dwarf, is supposed to be a female, about 6 months old now. We let her run around with Georgie, our other dwarf female when their hutches are being cleaned (otherwise they each have their own homes). Lately, Bij has been mounting Georgie and doing the bump and grind. We're not sure yet if it is a dominance thing, some other behaviour or if the paper work screwed up and there may be younguns' comin' soon.

All the best,

Rob
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
I have 2 white mini lops and purchased them 6 months apart. I was told they were both females. Ever since the newest female arrived, the older one has been attracted to the other which leads me to believe 'she' might be a 'he'. Is this something female rabbits do or am I to expect a litter soon?.....

Take care,

Bryan
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Sexing an adult rabbit is easy...Do a web search..lots of info out there.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Yeah, once they grow up it's not a problem.

Bryan,
Females will do that. That is another reason why they need to live in separate quarters. They should be old enough (at least one) for even a novice to tell their gender.
Mister Mystery
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
So basically, balls or no balls, huh?

Take care,

Bryan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Abrakadabra rabbit (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL