The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Magic "Ding Dong" sponge » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:

Clowns were never intended to be dirty,

Obviously we know little of the development and history of the clown. He hasn't always been the sad red nosed ballon twister he is today.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
In Europe clowns and comedian's are the same thing. Charles Chaplin is considered to be a clown as well as a comedian. Here in America clowns have an association to the circus with Emmett Kelly and others.

The Marks brothers are clowns and comedians and so are the three stooges.

Kasperll is a clown puppet.

It saddens me when this great art is subject to being degraded to things like Shakes n a movie with Bobcat Goldthwait. Or Crusty the clown on the Simpson’s. They do this with magic as well.

I saw a movie not to long ago about a princess in LA and her grandmother was played by Julie Andrews. Their was a magician that was a student that did lousy card tricks on one of the students cable TV shows. Like in the movie shade when a magician at the Magic Castle showed one of actors the 21 card trick. Like magicians are dorks and the card shark guy was cool.

I really do not like things that degrade art. Or performing artists.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I can think of one type of venue where it would play big. But, that's only because what goes on there, stays there, and everyone knows it. No, it's not a strip club - guys brag too much about those places.
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Ha- Whit how could you tell??!

Then again- did you ever pull this particular effect out at the W.C Fields bar, Whit? Smile May just add the look of sheer shock on some faces. Think about it, "The ultimate reaction" - every magicians dream!

Wow, just imagine the reactions. A good laugh it is...

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
The only time I ever used this was in my bartending day's,when a group was in the mood to get a little kinky and have a few laughs..the surprise can be quite hilarious.The only problem is,after the gals see that thing..the Average guy present better be a Great Dancer. Smile
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
946 Posts

Profile of Riley
Quote:
Then again- did you ever pull this particular effect out at the W.C Fields bar, Whit? Smile May just add the look of sheer shock on some faces. Think about it, "The ultimate reaction" - every magicians dream!

Wow, just imagine the reactions. A good laugh it is...

Matt - read the thread again. It's not every magicians dream to have this kind of ultimate reaction. Some magicians prefer to work regularly Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-12-05 16:26, Payne wrote:
Quote:

Clowns were never intended to be dirty,

Obviously we know little of the development and history of the clown. He hasn't always been the sad red nosed ballon twister he is today.

The clown of today is a far cry from the Arlecchino, Pagliaccio, Pulcinello and other characters he developed from. Circus clowns hold the "balloon twisters" in as much disdain as most "real" street magicians hold the David Blaine wannabees. Their term for them is "painted faces."

This is what most of the so-called "clown schools" crank out today -- a fellow with a painted face, a big button with his clown name on it (necessary because they are interchangeable) a big multicolored wig and an immense lack of talent.

The Ringling Clown School is a far cry from these. So are most of the European clowning masters. David Casey and the rest of the brothers Rogue, Oaf and Foole were products of the European tradition. When doing the Brothers act, David was the only one who made up at all.

David and John went on to work the Big Apple Circus for a few years, and then David came back to direct at Epcot, Disney World and the Texas Renaissance Festival. Recently, he got one of the Flaming Idiots into the Guinness Book and the Letterman show, for being able to make a ham sandwich with his feet.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On 2005-12-05 16:42, bishthemagish wrote:
It saddens me when this great art is subject to being degraded to things like Shakes n a movie with Bobcat Goldthwait. Or Crusty the clown on the Simpson’s.

In that case, don't ever rent Killer Klowns from Outer Space.
Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
243 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
Sheesh - I just got done making an exasperated reply to a lewd comment in a different thread asking why there are not more women magicians, or at least more women posting on the Café. I suppose there might be a niche audience for anything, but I find this prop inappropriate for magicians.

Chris
jasonleeb
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of jasonleeb
I have heard this argument since I was first starting out in magic. Don't do it they all said and I avoided it for years til I got one by mistake at one of those great magic meeting auctions where it was in a box of stuff that had something else I wanted and I just wound up with it. Let me just tell ya folks with the right crowd it's a tuff trick to follow. Like posted earlier, the bar, or a private party of course is thee place with the right crowd and of course most important the performer. You have to be able to pull it off with your personality. Now to do this in a "business" setting like a tradeshow is dead wrong. Al made a mistake but he was known for being brash. I have come up with several presentations and at one time used the Jumbo and the mini in the same routine; you can imagine the comparison jokes. With a trick like this your audience will right your jokes for you, trust me, its funny and funny is money. I could go write a book of stories I have had with it, I will leave you all with one funny bit. One night after doing this for a private party, husbands were coming up to me saying "you have to show my wife your magic ding-dong" which at that point I would exclaim "thanks captain obvious" and would proceed with great delight. Also when I really offend someone I usually consider this a bonus.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Well, I hope you have a long career pushing burgers at MacDonald's. That's where you will be likely to wind up.

Funny is money, but "dirty" is not necessarily funny. People laugh when they are amused, but they also laugh when they are embarrassed. And they laugh when someone else is embarrassed. In the end, it will cost you business.

We had a lecture at our magic club last night by a fellow who calls himself a street magician. He has made a career out of ****ing people off. He says that if there are kids in the audience, he works squeaky clean, but when they are gone, he gets dirty. All you have to do is get dirty once in front of the wrong person you think is an adult, and you are "en caca profunda." There are some 13 year old girls who look much older. A friend of mine had to fight off a public lewdness case because the teenaged daughter of one of the local judges was in the audience during a particularly raw part of a show. And it wasn't as raw as the Ding Dong.

Nobody ever lost a gig for working clean. Plenty have lost them for working dirty.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Regarding the original post of the Sponge ball routine with the "surprize" ending, I do have this in my collection. I have only used it twice since first buying it years ago. The last time was for a birthday party for a former assistant district attorney and another lawyer (who was my ex-wifes lawyer during our divorce). Both are females.

They called me to meet with them regarding the type of magic they wanted me to do. Needless to say, I was stunned when they asked if I had any risque magic. I told them the only two is the bra trick and the spongeball routine with the surprize ending. After explaining each routine (without giving away the secrets), I was shocked to hear they wanted these included in the show.

The night of the show, my finace' came with me to the venue to observe my act. I was nervous about doing the spongeball routine, so before I did it, I let everyone know that the birthday girls wanted this particular trick. It did go over very well and the whole room was in stitches. I was somewhat embarrished after doing it, but they were kind enough to add some extra in the paycheck for me.

I cannot speak for all audiences, but this routine should be reserved for those occasions where you know for sure that no one will be offended. I am seriously thinking about getting rid of the surprize ending and keeping only the sponge balls.

Glenn
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I can do almost any trick risque. I think there is a line between risque and dirty, though. A friend of mine who ran a joke shop had an excellent line he used when ladies came into the shop and wanted to buy a gift to give at an office party. He would say, "Do you want 'dusty' or 'dirty?' " Nowadays, in office situations, you can't even think about doing "dirty," because of potential lawsuits.

I have a friend who is an office manager for a major insurance company. There was one woman who worked there who never complained about anything that went on over there. Then she quit, and filed suit because one of the agents had "created an uncomfortable work environment because of his sexual innuendo." She never complained, and she did not file suit over harrassment.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Bill, I know what you mean about the suits on an uncomfortable work environment. We go through training annually on the protocol for our jobs. Besides sexual harrassment, there are a few others that can be filed on us. We have to sign a form at the end of the class showing we attended the training.

Your post makes a lot of sense regarding risque and dirty. Personally speaking, I cannot do dirty stuff and do not even like doing the risque stuff. I have billed myself as a family type magician, so doing even risque magic would be considered a conflict of interest for me. Yep, I will get rid of the foam you know what. Thanks for reminding me.

Glenn
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I used to do some local night clubs in the '70's and used the DD then. It is in the back of the trunk now, times have changed. Things I did regularly than would not go over at all now. That's just the way it is. People take offense more easily now and we live in a society where people will sue at the drop of a hat. It's just not worth it. I will use double entendre to get the point accross with the right crowd. Obviously no kids, etc. Certainly not in any kind of corporate or business setting. 25 years ago holiday parties were a lot looser, no longer. Keep your ding-dong in your pants!
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of the weird things I have run into at office parties is the unrestrained employee. A couple of years ago, I did a "Holiday" party for a law firm that specialized in Equal Opportunity lawsuits. When some of those lady lawyers got a snootful, they did material that I certainly wouldn't do.

The lady who booked me had me cut the show short, because her employees evidently thought the law didn't apply to them. They really "hostiled up" the environment. I was very uncomfortable. I turned them down the next year when they called back. I had "a previous engagement."

Even the D.J. was embarrassed.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I worked at a magic shop that also carried gag gifts and such. It always amazed me the quantity of dirty gag gifts that sold to be taken to Christmas parties... usually office/work related. Even more amazing were the people who these things sold to the best. Not the stereotypical rude dudes, but sweet little old ladies who you'd expect to meet in church. Go figure...

'Tis the season to get raunchy, I guess. The DD would mainstream at some of these parties, but I really am not an it getter when it comes to this mentality.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There was a time when the office party was the place that people were allowed to get rid of their inhibitions once a year and tell the CEO off.

This ended when the EEOC took over.

Now it's a chance to tell the CEO off, and look for a pink slip in your pay envelope the next day.

When I worked for Howard's Fun Shop, his biggest seller was a box of "chocolates," that was packed and thorougly wrapped. Inside was an assortment of "rambler's road apples." Basically horse fallout.

Some of the sweetest little old ladies paid $3.95 for a box of those to give to the boss anonymously. That was in 1958. Figuring in inflation, that would be about $40.00 now.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4049 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I was in a drug store in Bloomington, Indiana one day in 1986.

I went over to the card section, and happened to see something that caught my eye. It was a rectangular gift box - about 6 inches long and 2 inches wide.

On the tag was printed, "Here is something I made especially for you."

I opened the box, and to my surprise saw a very realistic looking 5" turd.

I was torn between laughter and the surprise I felt, seeing something like that in a "regular" drug store.

Posted: Dec 8, 2005 2:08pm
On a similar note, I suppose someone could manufacture a sponge turd and call it a "Dung Dong".
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
And somebody would use it at kid shows!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Magic "Ding Dong" sponge » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL