The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Magic "Ding Dong" sponge » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
No doubt. It never fails to amaze me the utter stupidity of some performers. I once met a busker clown fresh up from NOLA's Mardi Gras. His product was balloon doggies. His best gag (by his own admission)... a large pinback button that said, "I'm a Moonpie. Eat me." I wouldn't be surprised if his act was called, Crack-Pipe, and his cardboard home.

He was one scary dude... made Shakes and Crusty seem like Mother Theresa.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Quote:
On 2005-12-06 23:20, Bill Palmer wrote:
Nobody ever lost a gig for working clean. Plenty have lost them for working dirty.

I while back I read a great book by Gene Perret, who was, among other things, a writer for the Carol Burnett show and for Bob Hope. The book was "Successful stand-up comedy; advice from a comedy writer."

In the book, he discusses blue material, and the irony of the fact that every comic's ambition was to be on Carson. As a comic, if you got on Carson's show, you had arrived. These comics were in comedy clubs doing lots of blue material. But if you got on Carson, which was on broadcast TV, you had to do clean material. He heard a lot of comics say, "Yeah, when I'm on Carson, I'll do clean stuff." But they were in the clubs offering no proof to Carson's scouts that they could entertain an audience with clean material. These guys failed to see the implications of their choice, and they never got a call from the Tonight Show.

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I worked comedy clubs for a long time. I started at the Laff Stop, which was a really high class comedy club. I played the opening weekend there. I continued to play the Laff Stops in Texas until they sold them out.

When I first started working in comedy clubs, there were about 25 comedy clubs in the US, and there were 75 comics on the circuit. This meant that everybody got work. At the peak of the boom, there were about 2,000 comedy clubs...and 75 comics. The rest were really bad wannabees. I have seen the gamut, and I have worked with the best and the worst.

I have worked with Louie Anderson, who is a real gentleman. I met Ellen DeGeneres when she was showcasing in various venues. Also Jeff Foxworthy, Bob Saget, Kip Adotta, Biff Maynard -- the whole "Make Me Laugh" bunch. I was working one night when one of the comics I mentioned found out there was an ad agent for a major beer company in the audience. He pleaded for an audition for a job and finished with, "I can work clean." He didn't get the gig.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Quote:
On 2005-12-08 17:27, Bill Palmer wrote:
And somebody would use it at kid shows!

Only at Wonderland Ranch.

Quote:
On 2005-12-08 13:09, Bill Palmer wrote:

Some of the sweetest little old ladies paid $3.95 for a box of those to give to the boss anonymously. That was in 1958. Figuring in inflation, that would be about $40.00 now.

Just think of the profits I could have here in Amish country.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I seen it and think it would be a great ending. But I think people would find it innapropriate for a kid my age to be doing stuff like that. But it looks great.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
After being in magic for over thirty years I may have to finally invest in one of these as I've been hired to do a Tarts & Vicars themed birthday party in a few months. A venue where it would be more than appropriate I'd wager.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Personally, I think the trick is rather lame. Not so much because it’s offensive (it’s meant to be), but because it’s such an easy laugh, like farting in church. And there is no denying that for some audiences, or at least part of some audiences, it’s wonderfully amusing.

A friend tells me about one evening at his upscale restaurant gig:
He’s has just finished a wonderful trick and said something along the lines of “Isn’t that amazing?” and the large gentleman at the table says “if you want to see something amazing... show him Dianne.” and his female companion pulls up her shirt exposing her rather sizable endowments.

Obviously, at that point he wished he had the aforementioned item to perform for them. As it was he simply said “I can’t top that.” and left.

The problem is you will never know who in your audience isn’t hiring you because of the trick. And you’ll always have to wonder about the gigs you DO get from people who saw it.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Wow! That is pretty nifty! Why don't I get that when I perform???
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
912 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Payne, what's a "Tarts & Vicars" party? I can take a guess, but fill me in...
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I actually know a knucklehead who had a gig at a restaurant and regularly performed the effect there. One customer he performed it for told the magician that he was offended, and the magician, who had the IQ of styrofoam, replied, "Oh, you're probably an engineer or something like that," to which the customer said, "Actually, I am an engineer, and where's the manager?" The magician didn't perform at that restaurant again...he learned firsthand Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
I appreciate all of the thoughfulness in these posts, and agree with most of it.

I think, however, that a few of you may mis-understand Krusty the Clown from the Simpsons. He is an extremely complex character, as are most of the characters in this series. In many ways he is a symbolic representation of different aspects of the past and present in the world of entertainment.

The Simpsons are like Shakespeare. Don't assume you understand the characters or what they are trying to say to the world on your first or second time watching.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Quote:
On 2005-12-12 17:58, Larry Davidson wrote:
I actually know a knucklehead who had a gig at a restaurant and regularly performed the effect there. One customer he performed it for told the magician that he was offended, and the magician, who had the IQ of styrofoam, replied, "Oh, you're probably an engineer or something like that," to which the customer said, "Actually, I am an engineer, and where's the manager?" The magician didn't perform at that restaurant again...he learned firsthand Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection.

WOW! Who in the right mind would perform THAT in a resturaunt enviroment? He was definatley not thinking!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Nobody is his right mind would. As the saying goes, he was a few fries short of a Happy Meal. You can hear him talk here.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-12-12 20:08, Joshua Lozoff wrote:
I appreciate all of the thoughfulness in these posts, and agree with most of it.

I think, however, that a few of you may mis-understand Krusty the Clown from the Simpsons. He is an extremely complex character, as are most of the characters in this series. In many ways he is a symbolic representation of different aspects of the past and present in the world of entertainment.

The Simpsons are like Shakespeare. Don't assume you understand the characters or what they are trying to say to the world on your first or second time watching.

:rotf: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
:rotf: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
:rotf: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
:rotf: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
:rotf: Smile Smile Smile Smile
:rotf: Smile Smile Smile
:rotf: Smile Smile
:rotf: Smile
:rotf:

We used to say the same thing about the Firesign Theater. But then we came out of it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
Just wanted to let you all know that this is a very amusing thread. Every day or so brings new entertainment. Thanks everyone!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think we are flogging a dead... never mind.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-12-13 10:13, Gary Dayton wrote:
"...when do you think they will start manufacturing vagina spongeballs?"

Never, it's Goshman, not Goshwoman.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2005-12-13 10:47, Bill Palmer wrote:
I think we are flogging a dead... never mind.

I sincerely mean that I believe this quote to be brilliant for this context.
:bg:
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
Quote:
On 2005-12-13 11:11, Larry Davidson wrote:

LOL, Larry. I guess we're lucky it wasn't Ickl Pickl!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-12-13 16:04, Gary Dayton wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-12-13 11:11, Larry Davidson wrote:

LOL, Larry. I guess we're lucky it wasn't Ickl Pickl!

Or Johnston Products. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Magic "Ding Dong" sponge » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL