The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Quarter Through Soda Can (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
jackmagic1
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of jackmagic1
Most people I see buying this are kids who don't know a thing about sleight of hand. I was saw how the effect was done the moment someone tried to show it to me. It is probably one of the best effects I have seen in a while. But it is being butchered everywhere. Learn sponge balls before you attempt this trick in public kids. Go get adams magic match box trick. Its easier and only costs 5 dollars.
Pachin
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Pachin
A lot of people, and I mean "a lot" have never heard about Chris Angel neither watched his program. And if they ever watched it they only remember the big stunt that he made. Not the short tricks. It is us magicians that know about them and remember them.

General public that buy magic is because they have some interest on it. Very few laymen will spend $35 dlls in a DVD for 1 trick.

We would like to keep all these effects like in secret and we are worried about to much eposure. There are tons of other effects much better than this one.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1278 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Quote:
On 2005-12-06 07:32, johnanthony wrote:
I'd just like to add my views on magic being publicly available. I first wanted to get into magic about 18months ago now. I found a website selling magic and the first thing I bought was a bitten 10p and healed and sealed soda. Both effects performed on TV by David Blaine. They cost me a tenner each. At the time I was blatently a lay-person and in some respects still am. Paying a tenner for a coin which (I won't explain the coin but you get the picture) was a rip-off I thought at the time. As was buying healed and sealed soda for a tenner when all I got through was a book on the various methods..... I was expecting a dodgy can or gizmo or something.

Only after spending time with the instructions and practising (which most laypeople probably wouldn't bother with after seeing said props, or lack of) did I learn the secrets of these tricks. Now, paying £10 in money and hours in time to get that secret meant that I wouldn't give it away to someone non-magical. £10 isn't a lot of money but it was more than enough to stop me exposing the secrets I've read and spent time practising.

Ok, so 18months on and I have a stack of books and DVD's. I go out and earn money doing professional magic for people which uses gimmicks and sleight of hand. I am now a magician (bold statement).

To summarise, if magic wasn't easily available for me, I wouldn't be where I am now. And that is a place where I get paid to bring magic into peoples lives, be it a colour change card or a half under watch.

Sorry if I've rambled on.

I have never seen you perform. This is not an attack.

However, this is the reason why I don't think magic should be publicly available and advertised. Except for magic kits. I don't believe that in 18 months one can really call himself a magician. So you're making money from doing things you saw on tv, things other people do. Just because you know how some things are done, Does that makes someone a magician?
You say you perform "proffesional magic". What is Proffesional Magic?
Newcomers in magic are very impressionable. The magic from tv that is advertized to the public is ussually something like the coin in can trick. Very easy to do with a clever method. This makes lay people think that ALL magic is as easy and that anything and everything can be performed right away. They also believe that the way the effect is presented is the ONLY way to present it. This creates a bunch of clones with no personality. Having you own presentation doesn't mean adding a couple of your own jokes.

By making magic publicly available you give the impression that everyone could and should be performing.

I used to work at a magic shop. This one kid came in wanting to buy magic, He'd seen David Blaine and wanted to learn how to do the stuff DB had done. He had an internet connection at home. A few months later he was handing out Business Cards. He was not good. But he thought he was as good as anyone else. He thought he was ready to be performing. And he did, and messed up, in front of people who came in the shop. He hurt magic by doing so.

I have been learning and performing for six years. Magic has been pretty much the only thing I've been doing for the last six years. Not proffesionally until the last couple years. I don't believe I was a magician until my fith year into it.
Making magic publicly available gives laymen the impression that you are a magician after a month. I don't believe you can even realize what a magician is, a real one anyways, for at least 2 years. But that's just my opinion. I might be wrong.

Again johnanthony, I'm not actually talking about you, you might be really good. An exeption.

But I think people wanting to make money hurt the art of magic.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Yes, the real question is...in less than a year can any beginner be good enough to actually ENTERTAIN people with magic and get paid for it...and be called a success?

The answer is a resounding NO.

There could be possibilites like, somebody could be a pro comedian and start to incorporate very basic tricks into the perormers routines, however a pro comedian or actor would no better than to throw in magic into their routines or even create routines or...oh man too many con's here folks, not enough pro's...

Here's another posibility, somebody could buy a get rich quick shceme, be taught how to book show and be told what tricks to do and buy...this sounds like Dave Dee...and almost overnight be booking shows. Heck, even Dave Dee said he wasn't a very good magician, but if you know the ropes you can make money off of it.

I agree, this is why magic shouldn't be made wholesale to the general public...if somebody really has an interest in actually learning magic then they'll go to the library or a magic shop, maybe even join a fraternity?

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Bill Douglas
View Profile
New user
El Paso, TX
90 Posts

Profile of Bill Douglas
Magic is an art, a lot like music. I could get a guitar, buy a book on "learn the guitar over night" and actually learn a few chords and a song or two (Smoke on the Water)and peddle on the street corner. The magician and the guitarist can both take the same approach.

Neither may be good and the market will bear it out, (they both will probably not get rich). They may get a few bucks thrown their way out of sympathy. Please keep in mind that I am speaking of artistry not fame. Many famous musicians are not technically artistic, and there are one or two magicians who are famous and not necessarily great technicians or real artistic.

I just wish that a musician and a magician would learn their pieces well and have a smooth presentation before they wield their routines on the public.

please please please practice practice practice this routine well. Heck show it to your Mom, spouse, dog, cat (anyone sworn a blood oath to secrecy) and ensure it amazes and entertains them before you hit the streets and taverns with "Sinful".
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
I sing in a cover band. Which means I sing songs that other people wrote, more or less in the style that they sing them. And I make a bunch of money.

Does that make me not a singer?

If I perform magic...someone elses tricks and in the style of someone else...the people that leave my show won't think I am a magician? And if I make my living doing it...I am not a pro?

explain.

Posted: Dec 15, 2005 4:30pm
I draw bold lines on a white canvas...frame it...tell someone it has deep meaning...and sell it for thousands of dollars.

Am I an artist.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Toomuchmagic...anybody can be like Blaine or Angel or any other magician, copycat anybody they would want...but why?

As for cover bands, they have thier place...I saw a Kiss cover band and I enjoyed it fully.

If I see some joeshmo magician copycating somebody elses style I would feel bad for the wannabe performer, but realise that when I was a teen I wanted to be like Harry Anderson...I'd feel evenworse if an adult was copying somebody elses style...it's just wrong.

Now if you're getting paid as a pro, using someone elses style that would be just wrong...where's the originality I ask?

I have some old harry Anderson lines stuck in my head and once in awhile they accidently pop out in the middle of a show. I cringe and hope there is no other magicians in the crowd that know the line...why?

It's not my material.

johnny
<BR>I never inhale Smile
Bill Douglas
View Profile
New user
El Paso, TX
90 Posts

Profile of Bill Douglas
Dear toomuch,

I hope you did not take offense. I meant no malice or contempt. If you do magic you are a magician, if you play or sing music you are a musician or a singer. My only point is that if you do any well enough to get paid for them you are a pro. If anyone does them poorly he/she may not make very much money.

I was just hoping that, due to the secrecy involved in magic, people do tricks well enough that they do not expose the methods.
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
268 Posts

Profile of elmago
Here is a question for you all: How many of you have actually lost out on money and gigs because of this type of exposure?

If anything, the exposure has helped my business. (Not that I'm exposing) Anyone can learn the secret to a trick, but it takes a professional to perform it well. When a hosts hire you, they want their guests to have a good time. They want a magician who is smooth, confident, and professional. You can't get that from a DVD. I believe layman can tell the differance.

One more thing, you'll always get the bratty kid who thinks they figured you out whether they have the DVD or not. You could learn to use that to your advantage or let it ruin your show.
Just a thought.

Miguel Rangel
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
spengler
View Profile
New user
England
28 Posts

Profile of spengler
What Criss Angel means by:

"I wanted to release a series of DVD's for Magicians first and THEN FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC"

As is my understanding is that the range of dvd's in the "Masternids" series will be aimed at people with a range of skill levels including dvd's for the absolute begginer. As Criss beleives the more people practising magic the better for the craft.

That was my take after watching the interview on Masterminds vol.1. Obviously he is aware that more laymen will discover any dvd he releases as he is a figure in the media.

I am not a huge fan of Angel but this was a fairly enjoyable DVD and I cant wait to put the effect into use.
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
No offense taken, but my point was...1)a magician should be an entertainer and 2) everybody copies everybody. Welcome to show business. Why do you think rap/pop/rock songs all sound the same and are about the same thing? Cuz there are people who get paid to find out what works and what sells and then create more of that same product. Once in a while you'll get that creative/original artist, but we cant all be that, and we cant expect everyone to be that.
Keeping with the music analogy, Nirvana came out and broke new ground. And then you got a butt load of nirvana clones. But they were still successful bands even though they copped the style, cuz they had good songs that people enjoyed and were entertained by.
Noting is new. Sorry to break the news. No one is an exact clone because everyone has been different places and seen different things and interpreted them in different ways.
BE ENTERTAINING!
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Quote:
On 2005-12-21 17:19, toomuchmagic wrote:
BE ENTERTAINING!

That is what all must strive for , but so few attain. Far too often I've seen many who think the magic of entertainment is in the trick itself.

johnny
<BR>I never inhale Smile
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of jezza
One thing I would like to know ? is this effect safe to do ?
Ive ordered the dvd but kind of have a rough idea of achieving the effect but obviously being a magician I really don't want to risk cutting my fingers .
Maybe ive got the completely wrong idea ,ill have to wait and see
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Jezza:Respectfully you are totally off track.I think you will be quite pleased that the routine is safe as well as awesome.It does take some work to smooth out the handling.After two weeks of practicing and personalizing,I am just about ready to present it in the real world.Best.

Rich
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of Philippe
This is what you spend a long time looking and waiting for. It is not at all difficult, in fact I just love the moves and I enjoy performing it. GREAT.
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of jezza
Can't resist ordered it

Posted: Dec 23, 2005 4:08pm
I've bought and seen this DVD and it is very good indeed, The only thing I found misleading on the adverts was that it said the spectator could take the can home and take coin out, this is why I was going mad figuring out method as it just seemed impossible, still a very very good effect.
Going to be a great impromptu effect for summertime outside
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
The Spectator CAN take it home and take the coin out.In fact that is the bonus.It's a great giveaway! Sure they can jiggle the coin out if they wish.Who cares?You did the impossible and put it in a sealed can!Merry Christmas.

Rich
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
Jezza wrote:
''The only thing I found misleading on the adverts was that it said the spectator could take the can home and take coin out''

You can leave the coin in the can and let the spectator bring it home!

Mike
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
I do not likt promoting the certain company....but

have you seen the effect infusion. Goes perfect with this trick. search for it...
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of jezza
What I meant is I thought they could actually open the can at home hence my brain going mad as to figuring out method
Regards
Jeremy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Quarter Through Soda Can (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL