The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Quarter Through Soda Can (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17069 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2005-12-25 10:18, jezza wrote:
What I meant is I thought they could actually open the can at home hence my brain going mad as to figuring out method
Regards
Jeremy

They can.... When they find no coin, just tell them the Coke acid must have disintegrated it (groan) ... Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
Whats the differance between this trick being available to magicians or the general public, it is on the net simple search for any one who wants it pay pal em $29 and you got it. Any effect, magi or not, is avail for a price. Magic dealers could care less whether you spend hours mastering the pass or split fan productions before he sells you a trick. Barnes and Noble has sold Erdnase from day one

The world is full of magic hobbiests, millions of magic sets have sold with linking rings, thumb tips, cups and balls , paddel tricks , ectera

I say Criss Angel could sell the secret of every illusion he performes and the state of magic as an entertainment will not change at all
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
A certain forum discussed Magicians being arrogant. Especially when they think that they are the only ones deserving the opportunity to learn magic tricks. You insult people when you call them laypeople. Some of those laypeople are wanna be magicians!

Are singers as protective of their craft? Do they go around saying.. .make sure you don't reveal how to sing properly - we wouldn't want laypeople to learn to sing now do we!?!

See how strange that sounds?

So it's the same thing with people. Sure you don't go to a concert where the singer shows how they do their thing. But if you go to a music store, the information is rampant. Available to all.

Same with a magic store. You have the opportunity to learn whatever you want and it's available to all. Not everyone has the patients or talent to do what you have perfected or been practicing for years!

It's all good. Let people have their say and we will see where it goes from here.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Magic Shops,OK ! Magic Websites,Great...Target,Walmart,7-11,etc.NO!
How far are we going to go to denigrate one of the great SECRETIVE Arts.I personally do not subscribe to the 'Throw it on the wall,and it PROBABLY won't stick'theory.

Rich
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I think that many people are making a big deal out of nothing. The average layman does not care to learn magic. If they did they would already be a magician. It is easy to find anything you want on the internet.

On more than one occasion I have been performing for somebody that watched Secrets exposed on tv. The one showing David Blaines tricks. I would ask them what there favorite card trick is that they learned on that show. I would then perform that very trick to them. And they would still be amazed. They couldn't even remember how it was done.

Contrary to what many of you think. The average person could actually care less about magic. You were some guy at some place that wow'ed them for a few min's that is it. Even if it was sitting in front of there face at 7-11 or Walmart they probably wouldn't even take the time to read it. In the mall they can walk into a magic shop and pick up a book and read a page or two. Do they though?

Posted: Dec 26, 2005 7:01pm
I just thought of something else. Sorry

I had this guy that I would show tricks to all the time. He would always ask me to teach him a trick, because he wanted to get into magic. I made him a deal. I said I will teach you a trick today, but in two weeks you have to teach me a trick. Meaning you have to go to a magic shop and purchase a book or dvd and then teach me something you learned off of it.

I taught him his favorite trick. He was so excited on his way home to learn his trick. Two weeks later not only could he not even remember how the effect was done he never even went to a shop and got a book. I show him the same effect every time I see him as a joke. The funny thing is he still love to see me do it.

Bottom line is they just don't really care!
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Chichi711:I abosolutely agree with you.The person who has no REAL interest in Magic Performance,forgets 'all' very quickly.I am just against the General Retail marketing of effects.Being a 'strict traditionalist',I would just like to voice my 'personal opinion' that serious magic winding up in toy stores etc.(for the almighty buck)goes against my grain.Am I correct,that even you guy's that disagree with my opinion,would PREFER to not have unecessary disemination. Happy New Year.

Rich
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
From what I have seen in walmarts it is cheap TT etc. I personally think this type of thing is good for magic.

Paleo I do understand what you are saying and yes overall it does bug me. I saw some people thinking it would take money out of there pockets. It wont I promise. If anything getting little tommy and susy interested in magic at an early age, because they picked up a TT at walmart is good for all of us.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17069 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2005-12-26 19:21, PaleoMagi wrote:
Chichi711:I abosolutely agree with you.The person who has no REAL interest in Magic Performance,forgets 'all' very quickly.I am just against the General Retail marketing of effects.
Rich

Agreed....That's why they don't remember any card or coin tricks you did at the show....Just that cool rubber band thing..... Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I am not referring to TT's,Magic set's etc.(that's great).I am talking about DVD's with professional routines that some of use in our shows.I'd rather see these marketed in magic shops and magic websites.
[example] If I perform 'Quarter thru Soda Can'at a show and amaze folks,and the next day a kid is shopping with his Mom in Wal-Mart and say's.."hey there's that trick that Rich did last night",..whether they buy it or not..it somehow diminishes the experience..thus 'MY OPINION".Best.

Rich
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Yes and I agree with what you are saying and understand what you are saying. Odds are they wont buy it and I would guess within about a week they wouldn't even remember that they saw the DVD in walmart. Bottom line is they just don't care.
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Well, there WILL be a few that care. not everyone views magic just for what it is.
But, think about it. How many hecklers are there? versus real laymen trying to watch and enjoy magic?
don't perform it as if you are a supernatural freak who can actually do stuff that is physically impossible. I'm sorry if this is your performing persona... but it would never work for me
Or, if you are truly afraid. then do something ELSE through soda can...who knos what you might come up with?
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
MC Yes there are a few that care, but what I mean by not caring is the average laymen just says the guy had me mark a coin and it was in a drink. They don't remember all of the other things that went on during the effect. Others say. He did something with a coin and a can. It was really neat. Even if you show them how to do it they wouldnt take the time to learn it and probably wouldn't even remember how to do it after a week or two.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Quote:
On 2005-12-05 03:17, Daegs wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-12-05 02:28, sodman12 wrote:
I mean is it really that tough to figure out? =)

No, it isn't. I thought it was really easy to figure out with some thought.

Quote:
On 2005-12-05 02:28, sodman12 wrote:
There is really no need to buy the trick in my opinion.

If you don't mind being a thief and a %@&*%& for not supporting the creator, perhaps...

Whether you can figure it out or not, if you perform this effect without buying the DVD or getting permission from Wayne Houchin(a Café member btw), then you are STEALING FROM HIM and a thief.

But I guess things like supporting the art of magic, creators and not being a thief aren't really things that matter in your "opinion".

-daegs
ps sorry to hijack or whatever but people like that tick me off to no end.

so what you r saying is: EVerybody knows the french drop for example. But unless you didn't buy a book or DVD about it , you are unallowed to do it. THat makes no sense. If someone figures it out without buying it, he may still perform it BUT he is missing all the fine details and nuances that make the trick good.
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
toolman22
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of toolman22
The great thing is when a trick is exposed to the laymen, they'll remember it for a little while, then forget about it. I just did a quick survey with five people they all remembered who the masked magician was. I then asked if they could reveal A trick or elaporate on what he did. Not one person could remember.
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of jezza
Quote:
On 2005-12-26 16:43, troller wrote:
A certain forum discussed Magicians being arrogant. Especially when they think that they are the only ones deserving the opportunity to learn magic tricks. You insult people when you call them laypeople. Some of those laypeople are wanna be magicians!

Are singers as protective of their craft? Do they go around saying.. .make sure you don't reveal how to sing properly - we wouldn't want laypeople to learn to sing now do we!?!

See how strange that sounds?

So it's the same thing with people. Sure you don't go to a concert where the singer shows how they do their thing. But if you go to a music store, the information is rampant. Available to all.

Same with a magic store. You have the opportunity to learn whatever you want and it's available to all. Not everyone has the patients or talent to do what you have perfected or been practicing for years!

It's all good. Let people have their say and we will see where it goes from here.

I think theres a difference being people who have a genuine interest like ourselves who put ourselves out to learn methods and to repect the secrets.
I perform as a working pro and I do some effects eg sucker torn and restored napkin and the moment I say ill teach you a trick its surprising how many people actually don't want to be shown how it is done as they actually enjoy not knowing and get much more enjoyment and entertainment factor from that ,in the same way remember the magic of believeing in father xmas when you was a kid .
regards
Jeremy
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1569 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
I purchased the DVD on ebay. The effect is genius. I haven't had that much of an opportunity to use it but if a beer can or soda can is around it would be an effect worth doing.
wattomagic
View Profile
New user
Sydney Australia
68 Posts

Profile of wattomagic
I just got this yesterday. Its amazing and the method is genius. I am already fooling myself.

Chris
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Quote:
On 2005-12-27 17:20, chichi711 wrote:
MC Yes there are a few that care, but what I mean by not caring is the average laymen just says the guy had me mark a coin and it was in a drink. They don't remember all of the other things that went on during the effect. Others say. He did something with a coin and a can. It was really neat. Even if you show them how to do it they wouldnt take the time to learn it and probably wouldn't even remember how to do it after a week or two.

I think you misread my post ><
or am imisreading yours. hahaha
gibson99
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of gibson99
Hey guys,

I just ordered this effect but I have a question. Is it necessary to wear a ring to perform this? I don't think I have ever worn a ring in my life and it would be quite obvious to anyone who knows me that the ring hsa something to do with it. I am hoping that a ring is NOT necessary, so is it?
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
No Ring.Not even in your nose. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Quarter Through Soda Can (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL