The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Snap Silk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
To those that perform the Snap Silk Routine:

1> How many silks have you found to use to get the maximum effect?

2> Do you use all the same size or go smaller?

3> Have you ever used Snap Silk and Silk Fountain in the same manipulate act?

4> Also, I believe I did a search and there is a way or there was in a book/manuscript on how to finish with a larger silk at the end.

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks for any info.

James Adamson
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi James:

I haven't done the effect in years, but I once did it with three silks followed by a dove production. I used it as an opener, I liked the 1-2-3-dove sequence. I used the same size silks.

Rice's "Capers with Colors" booklet describes the Diminishing Silk Production with the 36 inch silk finale. Just so you know, the 36 inch silk is produced via a body load. You can probably still get the booklet from Silk King Studios.

Ron
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I vote with Ron on this. Same sizes all the way and then do something else.

Since I already know some of your props, this is a great intro to MisMade Flag! You already have what you'll need.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
dark kard
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
142 Posts

Profile of dark kard
I use it in my act. I produce 4 colored silks, and end with a multi-colored silk and confetti. I also use 18 inch silks.
"flying is easy all you have to do is miss the ground" Douglas Adams
<BR>dark kard
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
240 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
1> How many silks have you found to use to get the maximum effect?
I produce 4 at a quick pace. So I use a total of 5.

2> Do you use all the same size or go smaller?
All the same size

3> Have you ever used Snap Silk and Silk Fountain in the same manipulate act?
No, but a snap production then a Silk Fountain might look nice.

4> Also, I believe I did a search and there is a way or there was in a book/manuscript on how to finish with a larger silk at the end.
I have not done this, but I do not think it would be very hard.

Good Luck
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Where can I learn the Snap Silk roll? I'd like a nice way to produce 3 or 4 silks. Is it on DVD anywhere?

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Robert,

Marvyn Roy teaches how to prepare and perform the Snap Silk on "Stage Magic of Marvyn Roy and Carol".

James,

Regarding Snap Silk and silk fountain in the same act - I was talking to Richard Hughes this morning. Mr Hughes is making me a silk fountain, and he actually recommended using a Snap Silk routine as cover for stealing the fountain.
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Thank you much, Plastic. I appreciate it.

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It was originally written up in Eric Lewis' booklet. (I can't recall the name off hand). It was later reprinted in the Eric Lewis Trilogy, published by Mike Caveney (great books with a lot of good ideas and material!). It was originally a diminishing silk production with each silk getting smaller. Eric Lewis gave permission for Harold Rice to publish it. Marvin Roy used the same size silks and modified the handling. George Saterial has a very good handling that does not require the hard snapping to reveal the silks. It is in his lecture notes.

There are not a lot of non-apparatus quantity silk productions available. Rice has a lot of ideas. I think this is one of the best. The one reason I do not use it is that so many others are using it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
102 Posts

Profile of Rice
I believe Richard is referring to Eric C. Lewis' "More Studies in Mystery", published in 1941. Dad described Mr. Lewis' Diminishing Silk Production in a booklet entitled "Capers with Colors" in 1943 (referenced by Ron Reid in this thread), and with Mr. Lewis' permission, suggested a new lock fold and several other forms of this effect. I reprinted the booklet (the fourth printing!) in 2002.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I use a total of four, I have been known to use five. I start with black to use as cover for a silk fountain. All are 18" because the fountain silks are 18". I don't want the Snap Silks to overwhelm the fountain. I am wrong in my thinking?
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1899 Posts

Profile of chmara
I have used 5 and 6, and prefer the fold as taught by Jeff McBride, even though I started with Marvin Roy's. I use diminishing sizes to keep the rolled up bundle's size down.

There are several ways to think about the use, and Marvin's thinking on using the built-up bulk of the group of silks to cover a load pick-up is great. Barring that the only other use for producing soooooo many silks is the flash value of displaying their colors -- nes pas?
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Though I do not use it, I am impressed with George Saterial's method simply because you do not have to snap the silks out to appear them. They simply appear at the end of the previous silk like magic. It is simple and pretty to watch. As George said, the snap out production does not fit his style. Just an idea, but I think there might be others that George's style would fit.

Thank you for the proper references, Ruth.

The point of producing the silks to cover a future steal or load is well taken. The original production was more of a comedy effect with the smaller silks being produced. Instead of the magician producing bigger and bigger silks, his powers were waining and the production becomes less and less. Just another viewpoint.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I saw Duane Laflin's current lecture, "Magic That Pleases The Eye" and he used the Snap-Silk to cover the production of A fountain. I believe that he credits Marvin Roy with Snap-Silk Production.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I do the snap silk with 24" in my smaller shows and 36" in my stage shows. I use 4 silks and then a picture silk to end. Laflin has a tip on his dvd that helps with the set up and the production. I first learned this from Ron London but know that Marvin Roy was the first to put it out on video. IMO the snap silk is used as an opening to something bigger such as a fountain or a blendo. Just the snap production itself is neat but still needs a climax.

You can use a larger silk for the end such as 24" to 24" to 24" to a 36". If you use a picture silk make sure you don't roll it. If you roll it, it becomes hard to display.

Bob that is a good idea to use with mis-made flag.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I do like how Marvyn Roy (Mr. Electric) & Carol perform it with 5 silks on volume 40 of "The Greater Magic Video Library." To me it is not taught well. He mentions nothing of upsetting the knot. I would not of known about how to dissolve the knots if it was not for "Capers with Colors."

"Self-Working Hankerchief Magic" by Karl Fulves is another good way to go. It is taught as "Double Appear." Another method to producing is by stroking them, "Rainbow Silks" invented by Frank Chapman, developed by Howard Hurst. In a different chapter it teaches a method how you can produce a bottle at the end.

I would perfer using the same size. The max Marvyn Roy uses is 5, it looks nice.
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
After reading all of this I think I will finally get out the Laflin Snap Silk DVD and
watch it....
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
Also,in Duanes current lecture "Finding Magical Treasures",he has a execellent new routine with the snap silks, which I hopefully can get some use out of, along with other great stuff.
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
376 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
Is there a demo video of a snap silk being performed around? I would like to see how it looks to the audience.
Rick
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
If you go into Maronick's book, there is a method of doing it does not need the know to be upset to separate the silks.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Snap Silk (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL