The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Where did I go wrong? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
*sigh* I don't know whether to be disappointed or angry with myself, but right now I'm both. I posted a website in the "New to Magic" forum. It has a lot of good tricks and effects for beginners. However, the website requires a small test before you can gain access. It isn't anything too involved and it's very short. It is designed to test your knowledge so it can assign tricks based on your skill level. Here's why I'm upset:
I just caught some newbie trying to gain the answers to the test by posting the questionnaire. They tried to disguise it as a trivia contest to see who knew the most. I tried to help beginners and this person just threw it right back in my face. My question is: Where did I go wrong?
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Ice Raven,
You didn't.
One doofus does not mean all those who are interested in your site are doofuses (doofi?)
Over the years, I have sent out literally hundreds of copies of routines, effects, etc. and I know -- but can't prove -- that sometimes these "fall into the wrong hands".
In the same vein, I know -- but again can't prove -- that many of the original effects in my column have found their unauthorized way to shelves in dealers' shops around the continent.
But does that stop me from doing it?
No.
And I hope that one bad experience doesn't stop you from trying to help those of varying skill levels.
Remember: It was not YOU that did anything wrong; it was the OTHER guy.
Smile
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Thanks, Peter. I needed to know that. I'm not going to stop helping those interested in the art because one guy decided to take matters too far. This art is way too cool to quit on for that. Smile

me.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Good to hear you are not giving up on the rest of us!

There are a lot of us out here who appreciate the helping hand that we get from good folks like yourself at the Magic Café.
Most of us use the advice the way that it was intended, to improve our knowledge and skills.

Don't be discouraged by the few who bite the hand that feeds them; be encouraged by the many who want to fetch your newspaper and slippers!!
Smile
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Leon of PrimRose
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
69 Posts

Profile of Leon of PrimRose
What was the site? I want to check it out. I promise I won't cheat. Smile Smile
Being forgotten is worse than death

There was never anything but life...life and death...Good...Evil...It all depends on how you look at life... and death. The strong, the weak. It's all just a concept.

Believe the unbe
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
http://www.ultimatemagic.com

It has quite a few effects in the library. Check it out. Smile

me.
Leon of PrimRose
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
69 Posts

Thanks. this site's got a lot of stuff on it. Smile

There was never anything but life...life and death...Good...Evil...It all depends on how you look at life... and death. The strong, the weak. It's all just a concept.

Believe the unbe
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Ice, you went wrong when you became grammer hostess, but now you are back on track,
1st step is to use your origional name of Ice Raven when you joined the Café.
2.keep up the good work with your site,you will inspire some young and old to become interested in magic.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Leon of PrimRose
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
69 Posts

Man, this is a pretty hard test Smile Smile

Believe the unbe
Leon of PrimRose
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
69 Posts

5/10.

Believe the unbe
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Prim rose pm Ice Raven, she will give you the answers

vinny
Come check out my magic.

Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Don't be ridiculous. The whole reason I started this thread (how long ago?) was because a user asked for the answers- ok, he didn't ask me, but it was annoying as all get out!

5 out of 10 is a really good score, Leon! You are allowed to retake the quiz- that's not a permanent score, don't worry. Besides, some of the effects on that website (in fact quite a few of them) aren't meant for people who are beginning in magic, or even those who have been amateurs for years, such as myself. I don't like the fact that they allow Ellusionist to advertise there, but regardless, some of the effects described are very good. There's something for everyone- from Beginner to Star. That's why I recommend that website to just about anyone looking for a new effect that might be able to enhance their routine. It's almost as good as the Café- but not quite there yet. Smile

me.
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Thanks for the link, Kathryn! I got 6/10. That puts me in intermediate access. There's some really good stuff there.

Thanks again!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Ice Chill out , just having some fun

vinny
Come check out my magic.

Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
I just took the quiz just to show off - I'm not as smart as I thought- 9/10 - stupid matchbox

Dave
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Correct me if I am wrong please.

I take it this was simply a link to a web site?
It seems some members are under the impression that Kathryn built the site and that the content is hers.

Howard
Leon of PrimRose
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
69 Posts

Same here. Smile is it your site or just a link?

either way it's got some good stuff on that site.

Believe the unbe
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I've been on ultimatemagic.com a long time ago.....I like the renovations. I got 7/10....just some careless mistakes. There are different questions everytime so it would be kinda hard to cheat though the questions do come up again.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Where did I go wrong? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL