The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Help with a math magic type of prediction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
You have the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 or they could be nonconsecutive numbers as long as there is 8 numbers. Two or preferably three people choose a number for example 3,5, and 6. Your predicition is opened and it is either "356" or "14" the added total of the three numbers.

Any ideas how I can go about this? I want to try and work out the math behind it first and then work out what I need to do to get it to work. If there are 8 digits and three different digits can be chosen to reach a total, how many possible outcomes can there be? I am so bad at maths!

Would appreciate help

Thanks
Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Well, I can tell you how many possible outcomes you can get. If you're letting spectators select three numbers out of eight, and arrange them to make a three digit number (your 356 example), the way math geeks write this is 8P3 which is 8!/5! (say, "Eight factorial divided by five factorial"), which is 336. There are 336 different three digit numbers that can be formed by choosing three numbers from a set of eight.

If you're adding them, there are fewer possibilities. 356 isn't 536 isn't 635, but 3 + 5 + 6 is 5 + 3 + 6 is 6 + 3 + 5. This is written as 8C3 which is 8!/(5!3!) which is 112. But there can be even fewer totals depending on what your original eight numbers are. After all, 1 + 2 + 9 is 12, but so is 3 + 4 + 5.

:banana:
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Wow that is amazing! Thanks!

Yeah I was wondering about the overlap. Because, for example 2,6,8 is 16 as is 4,5,7 and 1,7,8.

It would be an impressive effect if you could predict this outcome then!

I wanted to create an effect that uses a map. I have three spectators pick three places on the map and then show them that each place on the map has a numerical value attributed to it. My prediction would match the total of these three numbers.

I wonder if this is possible...

Has anyone heard of an effect like this?

Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Help with a math magic type of prediction (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL