The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » In the hands Wildcard by Tom Dobrowolski (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Hello,

Two days ago Tom Dobrowoski's Walkaround wilcard (DVD) arrived. Toms routine for the classic plot got a lot of praise from some of the bigger names in magic, including Daryl, Bill Malone and Bob Kohler, so I was very eager to watch and learn it.

I liked the dvd and the routine in general, there were some things I didn't like though.

Tom's routines is structured as follows: He has somebody select a card, then takes out his 'card collection' which are eight jokers. The selection is shown, and then, one by one, the jokers change into the selection. At the conclusion the selection is returned to the deck, and suddenly all the cards from the cardcollection have turned into jokers again.

The routine is actually what it says, its a very practical wildcardroutine for which you don't need a table. The spectators handle the cards themselves, its a perfect routine for table hopping. It is not very difficult but it requires practice, and not only the sleights. I think its the presentation that very important with this effect. Off course this is the case with most effects, but if you don't find a nice presentation for this type of effect, you are simply repeating the same thing over and over.
Tom does a good job explaing the sleights necessary for the routine. Then he explains the routine in detail. There is also an over the shoulder explanation. The quality of the dvd is very good. (There is also a move in the dvd called 'The mexican turnover topchange second deal', how is that for Scrabble!)

Then for the downsides: I don't think the routine is very magical. My biggest point is that it doesn't really build. I think you need quite an engaging performing character to pull this off magically. Some of the moves in the routine aren't very locical, and I think somewhat unnecesarry. The 4 as eight count in the beginning and the end of the routine looks a bit suspicious to me, but this can be fixed with good patter. At one point in the routine you need to reverse count the cards three times before it changes, not very magical to me. I also didn't like the Olram sublety at the end. I my mind if you lay so much attention on the backs of the cards, you are basicly telling them that the backs can not be trusted. But whit a little bit imagination you can adapt these parts of the routine to your own likings.
Also on the back of the cover you see an image of a Bonus routine, a six card handling. This isn't on the dvd!

Although Tom seems like a nice guy, his presentation and explanations are a bit dry.
Tommy Wonder has a wildcard routine that is somewhat similar to Toms.
Tommy makes this effect look like real magic. It has a reason, it builds and it's logical. that's a real piece of close-up theater to me, his presenation is brilliant. There is a lot of thinking behind that routine.

As I said earlier I did like the routine in general and would recommend it to those who would like to perform a wildcard in a strolling enviroment. I would recommend to have a look at Tommy wonders routine as well.

Simon
VBall
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
165 Posts

Profile of VBall
Simon,

just to let you know... the 6 card handling is on the dvd... easter egg.
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Thanks!
I thought of that myself at first, but didn't looked for it.
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of Tom Dobrowolski
Hi Simon:

Thanks for purchasing the DVD and the thorough and thoughtful review and reccomendation for walk around workers. I'm glad you liked the DVD and the routine in general. As mentioned the 6 card routine is an Easter egg on the DVD. To access it go to the main menu and arrow down to the DVD ROM button. Hit the left arrow and my hands will light up. Hit enter and it will play.

I'd like to hear what you think of the 6 card routine. I'd also like to hear what anyone else who has prurchased the DVD has to say about it. Of course if you or anyone else has any questions, etc. please feel free to contact me here or through my website. Tom
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Quote:
On 2005-12-08 10:14, Simon Bakker wrote:
(There is also a move in the dvd called 'The mexican turnover topchange second deal', how is that for Scrabble!)

Simon

I love this move. I learned it from Daryl and use it quite often. He teaches it on his three card monte DVD.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

It's a terrifc move. I learned it some 20 years ago or so when I first learned Daryl's "Chameleon Cards" routine. It's a very versatile move that can be used in a number of different effects. Daryl was kind enough to give me permission to include an explanation on my DVD.
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Thanks Tom for letting me know how to acces the easter egg!
The Mexican Turnover topchange seconddeal is a very good move indeed, I just think the name is funny ;-)

Simon
pitbossanddealer
View Profile
New user
Indiana
8 Posts

Profile of pitbossanddealer
I'm a bit biased because I consider Tom to be one of my best friends, but I really enjoy this routine. Admitedly, I have changed several things in the routine to fit my style, but Tom's version works very well. The "build" you reffer to is actually brilliantly constructed in the context of Tom's personality and performance style. Not every trick has to end with cybals banging, men in loin cloths fanning beautifull women, and fireworks lighting the sky. The cool thing about Tom's routine is that When it's done it's just done. The gaffs are put away and since the spectator held them the whole time there's no reason to believe the cards weren't what they seemed to be. The idea is that a magician would never hand out a gaff so the cards must be ok. Since the trick ends with the cards put away they aren't available to examine. You are clean and reset. I have modified the trick with one of Louis Simonoff's moves to fit me. You should do the same. The trick is Tom's and fits him well. It's our job to make the trick ours by changing it to fit us. I've seen Tom perform this for laymen, amatures and pros and all have appeared to enjoy the trick. The beauty of what Tom has created doesn't lie in the moves. There are certainly guys out there that are better at slight of hand. The beauty of this DVD is the use of Psycology to take heat off a gaff. The method for ending the trick has a point too which only one person has mentioned to Tom so far. I can't wait to see how people improve the trick as they play with it. I know Tom has put a lot into it and I'm proud of how the DVD turned out.

Darren Hart
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

I just wanted to bump this as I have received a few more e-mails regarding accessing the "Bonus 6 Card Routine". The information on accessing it is in my post above dated December 8. I hope those that have purchased the DVD are enjoying it.

If anyone else has any additional feedback/review of the routine or DVD feel free to post it or contact me through my site. Thanks- Tom
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

I was just made aware of a crediting reference for a move in my DVD that I overlooked. I just didn't unearth it when I was doing my research. Below is an e-mail I received from Andrew Pinard.

"Were you aware that "The Switch" you refer to on the video is taught in Tarbell? Check out Volume 5, page 146, "The Conjurer's Four-Ace Mystery."

Thanks Andrew for the information.I will add the credit in any future stampings. - Tom
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Check out the David Acer review of my "In The Hands Wild Card" DVD just posted at mylovelyassistant.com.

Some of David's comments are: "Tom Dobrowolski (pronounced
"Dobrowolski") has cobbled together an excellent, stand-up, in-the-hands
version of Wild Card ....Tom's routine is extremely magical, very
visual, and highly interactive... The end result is a Wild Card routine
that is performed in mid-air, and loses nothing for having been elevated
(both literally and figuratively) from the two-dimensional world of tabletops ... if you do walkaround work, Tom's routine is well worth your attention."

Visit the above mentioned website for the full review. Copies of the DVD are
available through fine magic dealers world wide as well as through my
website. If you have any questions, etc. let me know. Thanks- Tom
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Just received this pleasant e-mail from Alan Ackerman regarding my DVD:

“There are only a few of published close-up routines that are specifically geared to the standup performer that do not have the luxury of a table. If you like Wild Card and you often find yourself working in a walk around situation then this routine is for you. The routine is extremely visual, has no apparent discrepancies, and no awkward moves. I really like this handling and have added the routine to my repertoire. – Allan Ackerman”

Thanks Allan !!

Available from magic shops world wide (dealers from Murphys) or directly from me through the website in my profile. - Tom
sleightofhand1
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of sleightofhand1
Tom
great routine !!!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Best wild card I've seen.

chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Thanks Sleightofhand1 glad you liked the routine and hope you can use it.

MagicChris what a great compliment !!

I really appreciate your guys support and kind comments. THANKS !!!!

The DVD is available through magic shops world wide or directly through my website in my profile.
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Aaron Fisher saw me perform this this today and had this to say:

"That's a great trick. It looks very magical. Where is it available?"

He followed up with:

"As a rule I don't endorse magic products any more but in some cases rules are meant to be broken. Feel free to use this if you'd like."

Thanks Aaron !!!!

Still available from magic shops world wide (dealers from Murphys) or directly from me through the website in my profile. - Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » In the hands Wildcard by Tom Dobrowolski (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL