The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Silly Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Skarn
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Skarn
Danny(and others),

I too believe some of what I see is camera tricks, but what can you state as fact to justify your statement that 90% is camera tricks? I'm not trying to start an argument here....I have no idea what the real percentage is, but I'd guess it's not that high. I'm just wondering...are there any tricks performed by anyone on TV that have been proven to be camera tricks only? I'm assuming you didn't just randomly pull the 90% number from the air.

Also, why do you feel it makes no sense to perform random acts of magic to complete strangers? I've done this and have been thanked for doing so on more than one occasion. I don't ask for money, because I do magic as a hobby....it's simply fun for me.

As for you saying "what we watch on TV is an abomination to street magic" and it's "not traditional magic". Well, I have to disagree with that. It was these types of shows that got my son into magic, and thus me back into magic. Lets not forget that "traditional" evolves.....

Skarn

Quote:
On 2005-12-08 22:23, Dannydoyle wrote:
Street magic you see on TV has NOTHING to do with street magic in life as I have experienced it.

The guy just walking arround and performing random acts of magic on strangers for no apparant reason really makes NO sense to me personally.

I street performed (busked). Hat pitch and all......what we watch on TV is an abomination to street magic.......I am not saying it is good or bad magic, just not traditional "street magic". Especially since 90% of it is simply camera tricks anyhow.
It's better to burn out...than to fade away....
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Danny was using the 90% as just an exaggeration to make a point. It was not meant to be taken as fact. The point being that whenever you use a camera to your advantage you are on the slippery slope of camera shenanigans.

For example you can do magic that is very angle sensitive without worry since you have every single viewer occupying the exact same place in space - the lens. With editing you can eliminate failures, pre-show work, compress or expand time and do what is necessary to make an entertaining television show, but would not make a very entertaining live performance.

Thus making a lot of what is passed off as street magic on television is actually something different.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
johnnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of johnnymagic
I worked a mall opening that was outside on the side walk/street and also at a festival that was on a sidewalk. Both times I was pitching my act to passerbys. I was paid by the festival and the mall so I didn't have to pass the hat. Would I be considered a street magician. I once performed at a beer festival at the agricenter where I was walking around and had to walk up to people and perform random acts of magic that would be walk around or street magic I suppose. All in all I call it performing magic and enjoying every minute of it. My question would be what else could David Blaine have called his specials and it not sound goofy other than calling it street magic.
Out of all the magicians I know, you're one of 'em...

www.johnnymagicmemphis.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How abut calling it something like "look what GREAT editers I have"!

That was a joke.....and perhaps yes it is a good name to put forth for that reason.

Frank is right I was exagerating as without actual knowlege I could have to spend way too much time to figure out the exact percentage. (heck 90% is probably LOW for the estimate!!!!!)(yea another joke!)

Point is a HUGE percentage of what was done could NOT actualy be done on the street, this is a fact and is not in dispute.....

By an actual working street performer is what I mean by that.

So Frank is right, a lot of what is passed off as street magic, is anything BUT.

(like levitating people surrounded that you never met, come on now) I don't say it was good, or bad, ONLY that it wasn't street magic.

Things do evolve.....BUT a fish will probably NOT evolve into a gurilla.....and THAT is what is being done.
Again I say not weather it is good or bad......it simply is.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On 2005-12-08 20:09, jimgerrish wrote:
Silly Question: Does anyone in this Street Magic area actually perform Street Magic, or do you just watch it on TV?

You seem to be focusing in on my comments, rather than on my question. Some people seem to understand it and some people go off on a tangent. The reason I asked the question was because in looking at the topics posted in this Street Magic section, everyone seems to be talking about MAGICIANS rather than on the MAGIC they are doing.

Furthermore, the magicians being talked about the most are the current TV fad magicians, not local street magicians you run into on the streets.

On The Magic Nook Forum, we discuss MAGIC and not MAGICIANS. It seems to be just the opposite here.

I did not mean to add to your endless debates about who is worthy and who is not worthy to be on TV. I was calling out to the few among you who might be tired of all this bickering about magicians and who might want to actually discuss STREET MAGIC, X-treme or not X-treme.

I'll just tiptoe on my way now, and leave you to whatever discussion turns you on. I don't think I'll be back.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Quote:
On 2005-12-08 20:09, jimgerrish wrote:If you actually perform street magic, you might be interested in X-Treme magic, the type in use by Cyril, Criss Angel, David Blaine, David Copperfield, and Lance Burton ... to name a few. It's the reason they are on TV. If you are interested in actually performing X-Treme magic (it's not for the kid show performer or Bucky the Magic Clown!) PM me and I'll put you on the track.
Dang, guess now I'll never be on T/V. or put on track. Heck me and Buckey will just have to finish our last balloon animal and go have a drink.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
There, there, Frank. X-Treme magic is not for everyone. But if you ever get a hankering to blow up a balloon bird (by mouth- no helium) and have it fly off into the sky, that would be a little X-Treme and that's the kind of thing we are discussing... not how to get on TV with the Angels and Blaineses. The point of our magic is to leave the audience with their mouths hanging open, that's all.

Enough said. Those who were interested got in touch with us and have started posting interesting stuff, so this thread has served its purpose.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Jim Gerrish said in the original post, "If you actually perform street magic, you might be interested in X-Treme magic, the type in use by Cyril, Criss Angel, David Blaine, David Copperfield, and Lance Burton ... to name a few. It's the reason they are on TV...If you are interested in actually performing X-Treme magic (it's not for the kid show performer or Bucky the Magic Clown!) PM me and I'll put you on the track."

Which I suspected was a way to either get Café members over to a new forum on Steet Magic or sell them something or both.

Now You've said, "Enough said. Those who were interested got in touch with us and have started posting interesting stuff, so this thread has served its purpose."

Us? Interesting. I agree, it's more than enough said - it's volumes.

Frank Tougas
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What the heck is a Blaineses?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Dannydoyle: You know, people try to "keep up with the Joneses?" Some magicians try to keep up with the "Blaineses."

Frank Tougas: It's no secret that Jim Gerrish and I hang out together. I started my life in magic as his assistant back in the dark ages. He helps me with the Magic Nook and I edit the hell out of his e-books. So, yes, "us" means Jim and me. You have uncovered two conspirators. But what's the conspiracy theory?

You seem determined to worry that statement of Jim's into the ground. He mentions X-treme magic used by Cyril, Criss Angel, David Blaine, David Copperfield, and Lance Burton ... to name a few. Let's check it out by naming just one X-treme street effect from each that seems to have made an impression on you Café members here in this Street Magic section:

Cyril - Hamburger from Menu ; Criss Angel - Coin Inside the Arm; David Blaine - Self-levitation; David Copperfield - Flying; Lance Burton - Cheating Death.
I'm sure fans from this section can name many more examples for each.

Those who were not afraid to PM Jim or me generally asked what it was all about and were told, and were also invited to check it out for themselves. No one was kidnapped or forced to desert the Café and pledge alliegence to The Magic Nook.

Jim and I both hop from forum to forum and enjoy meeting up with many other Café members who do the same. Those who feel it is disloyal to the Café to even think of visiting another forum are free to act according to their beliefs, weird as we find them. Those who have visited The Magic Nook Forum find a prominent posting of other magic forums they might like to visit... including The Magic Café.

If you are fearful that we might actually sell something to an innocent unsuspecting member of the Magic Café, you have no concept of the reality of being a magic dealer. Those who became magic dealers to get rich dropped out and went into some other business the minute they found out that the very nature of magicians is to be suspicious and "hard sells." You yourself, Frank, are a prime example of that tenacious sales-resistant nature. You buy what you want to buy and no one can sell you anything you haven't already sold yourself on. 90% of the members of this Café share that trait. The others are quickly learning it.

Did you ever wonder why most brick and mortar magic shops have dust on their props? Yes, we have magic stuff for sale at the Magic Nook, but they will sit there collecting dust until some magician sells him or herself on buying it. Magic is not something you "gotta have." It's something you first try to get for free by figuring it out for yourself. Then you try to decide it it's worth making it yourself, or if it would be less expensive to buy one already made. Then you try to buy a used one from someone who is getting rid of theirs. Only after you have tried all these approaches unsuccessfully might you blow the moths out of your wallet and actually buy something from a magic dealer.

So that's our conspiracy. Jim and I are going to get rich someday, if we live long enough. In the meantime, we are both active working magicians who enjoy inventing and talking about magic in the "back rooms" of the Magic Nook Forum to any and all who share our passion for MAGIC.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
By the way a GREAT under the radar pitch.......I LOVE IT!!!!!

As far as getting rich in magic shops......well I have to agree with you on that one......I worked for Jay Marshall for 10 years at magic inc. and he did NOTHING but put money into it.......if you are trying to get rich that way well...bring a lunch!!!!!

By the way I have a different view of honest dealers than you put forth...I believe they are necessary.....to keep the hobby going.

I have bught almost nothing in 20 years from a shop or online shop. I do my act and that is it......BUT a lot of evolution happens thanks to the hobbiests and I like that.....it causes growth! so keep it up(provided my assumption of honesty is true) guys......world needs people trying to run magic shops.....

I just wish you could replace the people comming in to the shops online!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Silly Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL