The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Another random thought: Appropriate lines. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Here’s something else I wanted to share with you guys that I’d like to hear your thoughts on.

This weekend my buddy Richard the balloon guy stopped by my pitch. I was set up about five feet away from where he usually sets up, it’s a nice spot for him and as we were talking I said, “You know Richard, if you want to set up right here I don’t have a problem with that.”

My thought was, he draws a nice crowd, does something different, and we could feed each other audience members. See, sometimes sharing a pitch can even be symbiotic.

Anyway, he likes the idea and sets up about 10 feet from me and we riff on each others acts while we are working. It sounds weird but it works.

Anyway, and this falls under the have a line for everything thread, if a balloon pops while I’m doing a show I have always said, “Look out folks! I have snipers on the roof. If you don’t tip **wink** the trouble begins.”

Inevitably, Rich popped a balloon and the line just fell out of my head. The second I said it I looked up in horror and my audience. God bless them, they knew what happened and started to howl! They understood that this is something I must have always said, but because of recent events just isn’t funny anymore. When they saw I realized I’d made a huge mistake and fell out of character this group of people stuck with me. I apologized, explained, and the rest of the show went great,I even made a nice hat.

But imagine if a friend, relative, native of the DC area, or whatever, had been in the audience. That would have been tough! I got lucky.

I know Sonny Holiday had to drop a line from his act after 911 because of the same thing. I watched it happen to him too and he said, “Look, I was doing that line for 15 years before 911.” He has since dropped the line, and even had to change the structure of the trick it involved.

Isn’t it wild how our shows can be so extremely affected because of current events? Last night I went through my notebooks and looked for other instances of things like this and actually found a couple of things. I’ve made the proper mental notes now and hopefully won’t step on my tongue again anytime in the near future.

Have any of you guys had similar problems, or do you have any thoughts on the subject?

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Its kind of strange that something like that comes up, just as the specs are warming up. It never fails when things are going good. Its even tougher to have to cut that line out because it always comes back into your head later on.

I don't think its the line so much as these kind of events change us as individuals. One day we are a comedy cut up and the next we become acutly aware of our suroundings and how we are interacting with it.

My closest, was a dead cat one liner, that made everyone laugh every single time they heard it.

One day, it made a little girl about seven or eight start crying, and I could see it hurt her deeply, and I had to stop and try to make her feel better but the damage was already done. I script every word now, and avoid improvising at all costs.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5377 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
i was working in pittsburg two weeks ago....and i asked a spectator where he was from...he said maryland and i said "duck"....then i realized it wasn't funny...at that moment i felt like gazzo....foot in the mouth...it happens

kozmo
EsKlibur
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of EsKlibur
Yeah I think it just happens. On the other hand I have seen other people try to use this to renew their pattern. No more cowboys and sheriff but rather Al Quadia members and FBI agents... Not sure it is really appropriate either but just like jokes I depends on the audience...
"Poetry is the Magic of Lies,
Magic is the Poetry of Lies" - Jean Cocteau
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I went all day at a street fair on Statin Island, just as I got to the macheti the croud would thin out badly. Not making ANY hats!!!
Knowing when I am beat, I start to pack up when some one from my last show came up and told me he was on that fairy. Turns out some nut got on the S.I. fairy, and as it left the dock he started hacking people up!!!
ther was more to the hat problems than that but that finshed it.
I still use it, and most of the jokes, just one of those things I guess.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
993 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
It's great to be discussing different lines and things not to say at specific times. Just last weekend I was performing and had a large crowd when a stray dog just casually ran through the center of the pitch. My mind flashed to this recent thread and I didn't have a thought on what to say. I just stood there silently while everyone was laughing, and after he left I laughed with them, and continued. You would'nt believe but an hour or so later it happened (it's never happened before, and there are lots of stray dogs where I live) again. I just tried to talk to the dog and invite him to join me, but he just strolled off.
It was interesting.
JoJo --> still thinking of an appropriate line,,,,,anyone with some good ideas?
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-11-13 21:24, JoJo wrote:
JoJo --> still thinking of an appropriate line,,,,,anyone with some good ideas?

Dog walks through your show.

Take a look at him, just like my manager, a mangey, son of a B.

here comes my manager, he get's 10% of my hat, but at least he lets me pay in biscuts (or kibble. Kibble is a funnier word I think).

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Dog walks through your act:

1. And you all thought that Magicians just produced Rabbits.....

2. I knew it was hot, but I didnt know we were in the "Dog Days" of summer...

3. Magicians normally produce rabbits, he must have heard that too, becuase I think he is looking for that rabbit too!

4. Tweet! Hey Dog! The cat went THAT WAY >>>>>>>

5. Oh Oh, he's back! Folks, I had better warn you! If your leg looks like a fire hydrant, this would be a good time, to run and hide.

6. Did you ever see one of those guys walking with a leash that doesn't have a dog on it? Me too, but now I am ready, next time I can tell him where his dog went!

7. Hey dog! Take a hike! Whooops no, never mind.....

8. Hey folks! Does that remind anyone else, after this show, I gotta see a man about a Dog!

9. Reminds me of the last time I saw a Dog walk by, I turned and said That was ugliest monkey I ever saw! The guy who was walking the Dog, got all upset. He said; that isnt a monkey, that is a dog! I said; I know, I was talking to the Dog!

Just a few off the top of my head.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I'm a juggler: "DON'T FETCH! DON'T FETCH!!" works for me. Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
993 Posts

Very good Danny, Bro David and Pokie,
Thanks so much for a your very good lines. I'll work on translating then into Chinese and see if they fly.
This one: Magicians normally produce rabbits, he must have heard that too, becuase I think he is looking for that rabbit too! (from Bro David) might be my first one to try.
I just bought my first rabbit last night, and he appears to be in good enough shape to get into the act quite quickly. A pure white dwarf already about a year old, and was very comfortable in the box last night. By the way, I also do small stage/parlor type comedy clown shows with my kids, as well as street performing in a large park here.
Again thanks,
JoJo
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-11-14 15:12, Pokie-Poke wrote:
I'm a juggler: "DON'T FETCH! DON'T FETCH!!" works for me. Smile

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

This is a GREAT line!

I sprayed coffee all over my monitor reading it.

Thanks Pokie!

Best,

Dan-

Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
941 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Danny,

The other night I was performing for the United Way, and they have a yearly fund raiser called "celebrity waiter night." This consists of local state Senators, school superintendents, CEO's radio personality's, etc.

As I was working tables doing magic (with my good friend Bascomb), people would go through their various phases of amazement, and then say things like "you're better than . . (insert big name conjurer here)"

My instant reaction was "let's see, if I'm better than. . . then that will get me on television. If I get on television I'll get seen by millions of people. If I get seen by millions of people, I'll become a celebrity . . .and, well . . .um, a waiter."

I'd then look around puzzled at my own logic while they laughed at the circular dilemma.

This one was worth it's weight in gold all night.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
993 Posts

I just had to get in here again with some help with some lines. Last time it was a dog running through the crowd, but this time another funny thing happened. I use a white ceramic salt shaker like in a restaurant for the kids who assist to sprinkle the magic powder on to whatever I'm doing, silks, change bag etc. It's completely empty of course and is a kind of joke, but I play it a bit seriously, like I really believe that by shaking it on, the magic really happens. Anyways I have three kids helping, one with the wand, one with the shaker, and another with this horn they have to make a noise with. While I'm getting the girl to do a pass, with the wand the boy (about 9) drops the shaker on the floor and it smashes into many pieces on the floor. It's no big deal for me as they are quite cheap, but the boy just froze and looked at me waiting to see what I was going to do. He looked a little worried about what I was going to say. The crowd up to this time was super responsive and we were all having lots of fun. I just stood there looking at him, and seriously said "that's 2000, but I'll let you off with 1800"! Taiwan dollars, about US$60. Everyone knew I was joking, but the kid was still a bit worried, and then I asked him,,"So, you don't want to help anymore"? Anyways, I said it's fine and don't worry about it, and he went back to his parents.
Once again, I flashed back to this thread, and was once again kicking myself on the inside for not having a super good line for this type of thing. Any funny ones that come to your mind and you don't mind sharing them with me, I'd be very thankful.
Thanks again,
JoJo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Another random thought: Appropriate lines. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL