The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Muslims in the audience » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jacob boehme
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jacob boehme
I have been booked to perform at a church fair this coming weekend. Now, over here in the U.K., church fairs are often visited by the whole community.

My problem is that I know the church is in a predominantly Asian area and I do not want to offend those of other persuasions. In particular, I know that Muslims can get offended by gospel magic (I have the scars to prove it...) Smile and I wanted to make sure that I put across my Message without angering anybody. Of course, their God is no different from our God - the same being in a different guise, but many people do not see it that way.

Although I have no wish to offend these honest people who truly believe they know the Way, my calling demands of me that I put across my own view of the Truth in as forceful a way as possible.

I am sorry for the length of this post, I would appreciate any thoughts/comments you might have on this sensitive topic - How can we spread the good news whilst being sensitive to the beliefs of other, good, God-fearing people with whom we do not see eye-to-eye?

Peace be with you all,

Jake
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Actually their God is not the same as our God as they say their God had no son. If our God is the same and had no son, then our whole belief as Christians is groundless. I do respect your decision to not offend anyone, but just be sure you are not erring on the side of political correctness either. If you feel a calling, then I'm sure God will give you the right words to use.

Kevin
http://www.livingillusions.com
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
You must of course do what you feel is the right thing, and be willing to face the consequences of your actions. It is a fair and no one is being forced to watch your performance or listen to your message.

Unless you are going out of your way to try and forcibly convert others to your viewpoint or offend them by saying their belief’s are false because they don’t coincide with yours then I say go for it.

If they are offended or don’t like the message then they are free to move on.

I had a similar situation occur this year. I was asked to do my Medieval show for a church fundraiser. I have been doing this show for over twenty years and even performed for this same church before with never a complaint. However this year after each performance a “concerned” parent approached me and questioned my choice of material as they felt it was offensive and in questionable taste. I politely told them that this was the first time anyone had ever complained and that I couldn’t make everyone happy and was sorry they didn’t enjoy my performance.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
As friend Kevin rightly pointed out, there are more than a few differences between the god they worship and God.

It is quite easy to get caught up in that
"all roads lead to God", warm, fuzzy, "can't we all just be friends" politically correct, spocially acceptable liberalism.

But when it comes to doing magic, if you have a messge to go with it, be sure that you understand truth and error, do your magic and deliver your message.

As Payne pointed out, somebody is likely to be offended - no matter what you say! So you may as well speak the truth in Love, entertain and educate through your magic, and be content that you have done what is right!

If you stand to be beaten by Muslims (and if I read your post correctly, you already have scars to evidence the risk.) then I would definitely be prayed up, and proceed in the Power of the Holy Spirit.

But what YOU should do, is between you and God. So look to God for the answer. The God of the Bible! The one true God!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I got the idea a couple years ago for those warm and fuzzy effects and political correctness, but had a hard time putting together a patter for these so I gave up. It's just too hard to come up with effects for some of these.

Quotes from the Koran.

• Good women are obedient.... As for those you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them... WOMEN 4:34.
• Allah forbid that He Himself should beget a son!... MARY 19:29-39.
•... and admonish those who say that Allah has begotten a son.... a monstrous
blasphemy is that which they utter. THE CAVE 18:1-6.

• Allah is the enemy of the unbelievers. THE COW 2:98-100.

It's just too Tough for me, unless I had one of the ShopSmith things that goes from lathe to saw to drillpress to sander.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
To help you make your descision you could out yourself in their shoes for a moment. How would you feel if you went to a fair hosted by a mosque and they had a magician performing magic with a strong Muslim message. Would you rather see someone presenting the glory of their faith through the medium of magic or would you like to see someone use magic to belittle your beliefs and show that you are going to suffer eternal ***ation for worshiping a false God?
It has nothing to do with political correctness, it's just good manners to accept and respect the beliefs of others.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Payne you are correct. However I'm glad I live in a country where one does not have the right to never be offended. This country is based on freedom, and that means freedom for everyone - not just liberals. One may leave the room, turn the channel, express a different opinion, etc., We have the right, at least for now, to speak as we wish. Should I be respectful of others, yes, should I be concerned about the salvation of those I come into contact with, YES. I do believe there is a right and a wrong way to approach people. Obviously the best way is with love and to meet them on their ground.

Kevin
http://www.livingillusions.com

Everything exposed by the Light becomes visible. EPH 5:13
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I don't think it would be right to belittle their faith through magic, or any other way.

On the other hand, I can not see how telling the Truth, and providing a message based on your beliefs - belittles anyone else.

Respect for the rights of others to believe as they choose, does not imply that you have to fully accept their beliefs as true.

Jacob is saying that he believes he is called to perform magic in a way that offers his view of the Truth. Why should he avoid his view of the Truth, just because others subscribe to a different view of truth.

I would hope that no Bible believing Christian would ever belittle or try to force his beliefs on anyone. But speaking the Truth through magic, simply puts the Truth on the table. If folks are offended they can simply walk away.

There is no question that some people WILL be offended by the Truth. (you know the verse, or PM me if you don't) But whether through a message in a magic effect, or any other way, if you are called to tell the Truth, you should. On the other hand, if you do not feel called to tell the Truth, then that is your decision.

Magic is a great medium to entertain, educate, and iluminate. Perform in a way that you feel honors your beliefs. Whatever they may be.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Muslims in the audience » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL