We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Need insights to help memorize deck faster (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Cesar Munoz
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of Cesar Munoz
When I first got Mneumonica I tried learning the stack according to the program suggested in the book. After a day--I wasn't really making the progress that I had hoped--in all fairness--I wasn't following Juan's suggestions to the letter. I went back and refreshed some memory training I had done previously (i.e. "tree list", "house list" & "body list") and I was then able to memorize Mneumonica in less than an hour. The memory training that I took was through The Memory Training Institue (www.mtilink.com).
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1332 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
Quote:
On 2005-12-09 20:03, williamHerrick wrote:
PS: I remember that DOC, a professional hustler, was asking for advice on this question on a thread here; his username I think is "unknown419" if you want to search on his name and "memorize deck" etc.

I'm still here peeking around and getting info. keep the info. coming.

Still Learning

Doc
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I use a modified version of SEMM3 and have been for the last 7 years.

In the last 2 years I have been working on using hypnosis to install the basic structure of SEMM3 into a persons mind. The end result being a version of SEMM3 running continuously without effort to encode/decode by the consious mind.

It feels (I can only guess) like photographic memory. Of late I have been able to thumb through a deck 7-10 seconds and hit 95-100% accuracy with all cards at a numbered location.

As an aside, I have also installed a few maths routines via hypnosis and am now feeling the numbers, as my mind calculates a result I feel the value of the result present itself almost as soon as the problem is seen/heard.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
If your going to use a stack, why not try just using the new deck order stack? or something simple like Si Stebbins?
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2005-12-31 09:10, mattisdx wrote:
If your going to use a stack, why not try just using the new deck order stack? or something simple like Si Stebbins?

I can spread a Mnemonica stack face up with no fear what so ever of the stack being spotted - unless if someone knows it or can memorize a deck of cards on the fly. I would not think this would be a good idea with a NDO stack, and although some folks aren't worried about spreading a Stebbins deck face up - and it's not all that risky - I'd prefer not to risk it at all. It's an extra convincer that you can use without verbally drawing attention to the fact the cards aren't stacked.

The method Tamariz describes at the beginning of his book worked better for me than the mnemonics Aronson describes. I have been messing with the Dominic system recently and for the purposes of memorizing a deck on the fly, it seems like a strong way to go. It's a good system for long term memorizing as well, but to me its real strength is the ability to do stuff then and there, under pressure.
tjo'
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
What do you mean by memorizing a deck? Is that when people put each card face down and you say what it is?
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2005-12-31 11:12, themagicman101 wrote:
What do you mean by memorizing a deck? Is that when people put each card face down and you say what it is?

I pm'd you.
tjo'
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
This thread is just full of miscommunications. People keep jumping in and talking about stacks. The original question had nothing to do with a particular stacked deck, or using memorized stacks to do magic tricks. Cormac9 simply wanted some help in speeding up the process of memorizing a deck of cards. He didn't even state whether this was for doing it as a memory demonstration, in competition, or what.

My feeling is that for this limited purpose, the O'Brien method is the best way to go. Get the COMPLETE method, study it, and practice. I don't think there's much more help... just PRACTICE.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
Funny that this should come up. I am going through today and memorizing the mnemonica stack using Lorayne's phonetic alphabet and peg systems. I had memorized the first half of the deck awhile ago with just a bit of practice. I feel you could sit down and have the deck memorized cold in half a day if you worked really hard.

Any peg system is going to be of infinite more use than a link system when it comes to memorized deck work. You need to be able to recall cards independent of each other instead of running through a list. Lorayne's systems, while being around for a long time and seemingly simple are tried and true.

It never hurts to do memory feats to help strengthen to help with your association. I plan on memorizing the President's, their Vice Presidents, and the terms they served....just as an exercise. You know the saying.....use it or lose it.
rrubin98
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta (USA)
277 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
Btw, for those folks questioning just how fast one could really memorize a deck -- the world record is 35 seconds. I believe it was set by Andi Bell several years ago.
Dominic O'Brien's record for cards is about 49 seconds.

I, on the other hand, have never memorized a pack in less than 3 minutes. Smile I like Bob Farmer's card mnemonics the best (which I just link together in one long chain), but the top memorizers in the world use Dominic's system almost exclusively.

Richard
Stig
View Profile
New user
Oslo, Norway
79 Posts

Profile of Stig
In what book is Dominic O'Brien's "Journey Method" explained? I just bought his book "Learn To Remember, but the the method wasn't well explained, only mentioned.

Stig
MrRidge
View Profile
New user
Derby UK
76 Posts

Profile of MrRidge
Cormac9,
Just out of interest, in what context are you learning to memorise a deck? Is it for demonstration, a card effect, or what, perhaps I should say why?
The only reason I ask is that if it's for a card effect, there are 'shortcuts'. For example, you can memorise the Red/Black order (not the actual cards) of a spectator shuffled deck in about a minute, with only about an hours practise. Have a look at 'Total recall' by Iain Girdwood.
I could of course be missing the point, in which case all the previous posts are much more relevant to your original question.
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
738 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Stig - You might want to take a look at:

http://www.ludism.org/mentat/DominicSystem

http://www.happychild.org.uk/acc/tpr/mem/0399numb.htm

Also, Dominic's CD set "Quantum Memory Power" contains more detail on the system. Enjoy. - Scott
magicbob74358
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of magicbob74358
I found that reciting the deck in order over and over again works well. At least it did for me. I used to memory systems, other than to write a number on the back of cards and recite the deck in order, many many times. I'd spend several hours a day just reciting the deck in my head, after I had that down well, I'd test myself with the deck of cards. Find a random card, name the number, pick a number and name the card.... That worked well for me, I know it doesn't work well for others, and there is no 1 system that works for everyone. I hope this helped, it probably didn't..... good luck.
Stig
View Profile
New user
Oslo, Norway
79 Posts

Profile of Stig
Thank you Scott, but the Journey Method and The Dominic System is not the same, is it?

Stig
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
Determination, then frequent use to in grain learning. I memorized Aronson deck then switched to Tamariz deck...
Frank
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4856 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
This is how I did it. I have 52 items or concepts pre-memorized, one for each number 1-52. Each card is assigned an image that relates to the number. Example: 31 is Halloween, the 10D is remembered as I picture the 10th month and a pumpkin carved with diamond eyes. 11 is tent, that goes with the 4S and I picture the 4 tent stakes as shovels or spades. I made the links and images as funny as I could. The stack I use is not one of the published ones but is similar to the kind Alan Ackerman uses with each card value repeating every 13 cards. That stack also is set to do a chaos type effect like Lennart Green does. This is the only memorized stack I use and it has served me well.
pnielan
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
151 Posts

Profile of pnielan
I memorzed Aronson's stack using a combination of ideas in Tamariz's book and Aronson's mnemonics. I did it this way even though I've known Lorayne mnemonic systems for 20 years. But to be honest, the NUMBER to MNEMONIC FOR NUMBER to MNEMONIC FOR CARD to CARD technique seemed too cumbersome to use for all the cards. And not personal enough. So here's what I did.

I got out the tape recorder and sang the Tamariz song. And listened to it as I continued work.

I learned the 1st (JS) and last cards (9D) by rote.

I learned the positions of the 4 aces (6,10,18,22). Then the cards at the 13, 26, 39th positions. All by rote.

After the 1st hour these were locked in.

Next, there are many numbers that have special meanings to me. Everyone will have their own set. To get mine, I sat down with a deck of cards in Aronson order. As I got to each number in the stack, I asked myself if there was a special meaning that came IMMEDIATELY to mind. If not, I didn't force it. For many there were and I noted them (wrote them with a Sharpie) on the face of the card. My list is: 7-my birthday, 13-unlucky, 12-Jim Kelly and Joe Namath, 14-Frank Ryan (a 60's quarterback with a Ph.D), 15-1st girlfriend's birthday, 16-Joe Montana, 18-age of consent, 21-drinking age, 23-Michael Jordan, 24-Willie Mays, 25-Christmas, 27-daughter's birthday, 29-depression, 31-number of days in a month, 32-OJ Simpson (unfortunately), 35-Roulette Wheel, 36 (the start of 36-24-36), 37-1st two numbers of my childhood phone number, 38-my current pant size (unfortunately), 39--World War II, 41-Pearl Harbor, 42-Summer of 42 (a book and movie), 44-Reggie Jackson, 45-a phonograph record, 46-first two numbers of my childhood address, 49--The SF Forty-Niners. My thought here is that these were better than mnemonics and they've proved to be.

For the cards at these numbers, I used the Tamariz technique. I got colored sharpies and drew pictures on the faces of these cards. For example, 35 is the 10C and the pips form a circle in the center and I sketched a roulette wheel. For example 24 is the 3D---too easy; Willie Mays hitting triples on the diamond. For 31-the number of days in a month, I drew a monthly calender with the four corners at each of the pips. The 25th card was the 7H---Christmas and the seven days of Hanukkah--enough to make me remember. With this done, I now knew about half the cards with very little pain.

That was enough for the 1st day.

Now I looked for patterns in the Aronson stack---the fours, Jacks and tens were in the middle set up for the 10-card poker deal. So I learned the rest of the fours, jacks and tens. The benefit of this method is that I started to form a mental picture of the entire deck in my mind, rather than just random card-number pairs. To learn these, I drew pictures of the numbers themselves on the faces of the cards---again as suggested by Tamariz.

That was enough for the 2nd day.

Now I added the rest of the court cards, the Kings and Queens. Noticed that red queens and kings were in the top 30 cards of the stack. Black queens and kings near the bottom.

At this point, I have a set of flash cards with stack numbers on the back and drawings on the faces of many of the cards. I know about 30-35 of the cards and I start using the flash cards (Tamariz-inspired) to lock them in. There are about 20 cards I don't know.

Enough for the 3rd day.

Now it gets harder. I started adding four-of-a-kinds using the Aronson mnemonics if necessary. The remaining twos (I already knew 2D-13 and 2S-41 from above). The remaining threes. I added about 7-8 cards a day and then reviewed the whole stack with the flash cards.

After three more days, I knew the whole stack and no longer needed flash cards to practice. I could do it just in my mind or with a regular deck of cards. But there were about 5-6 cards that often stumped me. I thought I knew them and then the next day---mind went blank. For these I pulled out an old deck of Jumbo Cards and drew large pictures of the numbers on these cards and left them on my desk and played with them for a few more days. They soon turned into special favorites.

---x---

Now every few days I review the stack as follows: 1--recite it 1-52 in my mind, 2--name the stack numbers for four-of-a-kinds in my mind, and 3--most important (for me), shuffle a deck and arrange it in order in my hands without using a table. I can do this in about 1-2 minutes depending upon how sharp I am that day and I've really thought about the fastest ways of doing that. It takes about 5 minutes every few days to review and I've gone weeks without doing it and then can get all the way back in one day.

Best of luck
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
This thread is a great fountain of references. I'm going to make an effort NOT to click on any of the links so as not to commit my usual mistake of starting on 50 different things and never finishing any.

I think I'll start with Mr. Lorayne's book. My goal is just to satisfy my curiosity and maybe become better at remembering everyday things like grocery lists and people's names.

I've already memorized a stack order (Aronson) without any singing whatsoever. Sounds like fun to be able to memorize a deck in a couple of minutes but that is only good as an effect in itself, I think. Two or three minutes is too long to memorize a deck under someone's nose. Better then to use the one already learnt, marked, crimped, shortened and whatnot.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Yoava333
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Yoava333
I want to start memorizing a deck, What is the best memorized deck order?
Yoav
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Need insights to help memorize deck faster (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL