The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Slow bookings - ever produce a show yourself? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

HypnotizeAmerica
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of HypnotizeAmerica
I am getting ready to send out my first mailer for the New Year but so far don't have any shows booked for January. I was thinking about finding a place where I could produce my own show (either by renting out the place or doing a 50/50 split) with them and putting on my show so that I can continue to expand my performance, maybe get some bookings from those in attendence, and hopefully make a buck or two. I was wondering if any of you have done this before, what type of setup time am I looking at to get a deal going and basically get some advice from those who have done it. Thanks.
jl17
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of jl17
I did it once, and you will literally only make a buck or two. I rented a theater for the weekend and it was about $300 per day in a college area here in San Diego. A lot of money needs to go into marketing. I put flyers up in coffee shops, etc. It was a fun experience, but not a very lucrative one. January is usually a slow month anyway because everyone (companies) have their big events in November and December. But, keep perservering and the shows will come. Remember to market smart and market to those individuals who want to spend money and see a show.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Certianly DON"T do it when people are out of money from the holidays
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jl17
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of jl17
Second that!!!
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I would wait until march before doing anything. I sold out a theatre full of students and made around £4000 that's about $7000 per show and did so week after week after week.

You need to pick your times carefully. Avoid exam times. Begining of a new intake is the besttime to start a run of shows as students have money and are exploring the new city and are in party mode.

Hotels social clubs that have a hall for hire. Go see them ask if they have any dates they can't fill. Offer them the bar money while you take the door money. You produce the posters and tickets they sell them at the bar for you. Give a six week time to do your marketing. Advertise in local newspaper shops postoffice etc. Anywhere that will let you put up a poster and cover the town as much as possible.

I started that way and made a fair sum of money. Once I got known I could charge a standard fee.

Shrink
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually if you insist on doing this I have a really good idea for you.

It works because I have done it constantly for a lot of years....

Join the Lions club. Every lions club or similar orginization has a club meeting place that generally has a stage......join the one with the best stage. Offer to do the show for a split of the door.......I am not going into the business things here but they generally do the ads.....then make it a sucess......you have a built in number of people selling tickets for you, who are generally community leaders and such which is good.......after that you have access to EVERY Lions club or whoever you join to do the same thing!

You can pitch anyone who has a meeting hall with sound......heck rent a DJ for sound and lights if you have to and make a stage from risers.....be creative... the whole point is you have LOTS of ticket sellers.....to their friends family and co workers and work hard to sell the tickets for the club. It guarantees selling seats and if your show is good it guarantees success...

One word of warning, I am assuming you have a good show. PLEASE have a good show otherewise my advice is to NOT do anything.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
http://www.stagehypnosiscenter.com/products/item18.cfm

This is a how-to for lions clubs.etc...I have not done this myself (my focus is on two other markets, you can't do everything) but I have it and have read it.

It reads fine and from postings on his hypnotism board others are doing this promotion successfully.

You can figure it out yourself with trial and error or this will set you up for under $90...good luck
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
DON"T SPEND $90!!!!!!!!

PM me I can help for free! IF your serious and willing to work hard.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I would agree with the above except.....don't iffer to split the door money! in my experience they are happy with the bar takings and not having to pay you a fee themselves.

Pitch it as a way to get their bar full on a quiet night and a very expensive act for free! Then explain to them how it works. Why should you spit the door money? You are doing them a great service by not charging a set fee. Taking away all the risks involved with putting on entertainment. If it doesn't sell they haven't lost anything..

In my experience you don't have to give money away its your money afterall. Your doing them the favour. Go in with this attitude and you will get what you want in any area of life..

Shrink
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Shrink it makes sense to split the door when they do the ads....your gonna be 500 miles away and they do the ads for the show to fund raise so splitting it works out great......

some places don't have bars either........so that dosn't work any other way

Trust me this is the system for the Lions club......it has worked 100s of times for me literally!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
I did this last year for my magic show. I rented out a hall and gave a percent of the money made to a cherity. Because of this I got advertising on the radio and newspaper for free. The money I made was nominal to cover the costs of doing 3 shows in one day (because I just go the theature for a single day). The show I did was just at the end of December and most of the ticket sales were at the door. Sure makes all those nights leading up to it stressfull.

If you can find a cheep place (maybe a schoool gym?) then it would probably be more feasable. Just depends, didn't work for me though.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am not suprised it didn't work.......nobody has money after holiday time....tough up front expences.....you had so much working against you I am suprised you ever hit the black on the show
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Odd, January is my second-busiest month of the year. Mainly because a lot of companies do their holiday parties in January now because they are way too busy to do them during the holiday rush!

I actively market myself during November and December for that very market and it works well for me. But it's a bit late to do it for January 1st now. If you are doing a January 1st mailing, you should be targeting Valentine's Day bookings and St Patrick's day events and even Spring Break events, not January shows.

Always take a 3 month, minimum, lead time and remember, in a direct mailing situation a 2% response is considered very good, indeed.

Just my tuppence.

Happy Holidays, people!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Lee hits on a GREAT concept....

many many companies which have a huge holiday season, for example restaruants have Jan. holiday parties. a great marketing strategy is simple to come up with. and a good idea to say the least.

My point was though that as a time to do an actual pay for tickets show, it is a historically poor time.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Slow bookings - ever produce a show yourself? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL