The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Snow Machines! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jared Sherlock
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
245 Posts

Profile of Jared Sherlock
I am looking to cover about 10 rows in a typical highschool theater by placing snow machines or machine depending on the answer in the cat walk. With the snow machines out there trying to cover this space. Would it be better to buy 1 of the 800 dollar ones or 2 of the 350 400 dollar ones. Here is where I have been looking. http://www.theatrefx.com/store/commerce.......machines Please let me know. Would anyone in Indiana who has them be willing to rent them to me?

Jared
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
Those guys are nice that work their. I suggest giving them a call and they will definetly help you out more than we can.
-Tyler
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
880 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
You are probably going to get better coverage for a larger area with two smaller ones, depending upon their positions. I would try to get video of the machines in action to see what their dispersion pattern is like. Generally speaking, to cover a large area it is better to have multiple machines with smaller output in several places rather than try to blast it all from a single source.

Sometimes you can find smaller "party-style" snow machines at rental houses that specialize in wedding rentals. It's a rather popular effect these days. They're probably not "industrial-grade" but if you were to get several, they'd probably do the job for you.

I just did a real quick google and found this rental source that shows Indiana as being 1 shipping day away.

http://www.starmgc.com/snowrent.html

Cheers!
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
I have used snow machines quite a bit. I would definitely go for multiple smaller ones AND fans to spread the area. This is because they are LOUD. Yes you will have your music up no doubt but it takes the magic out if they are not hidden and are not small. That way the audience doesn't look up "Hey look at those "machines". I can say for certain if not properly done it will take the eyes off the stage. When done correctly they will will be delighted and children will think it's real snow. I have an extra machine for sale but probably would not get it in time for you (I assume a Seasonal show you are doing now) but it's in great condition in storage.

The only thing that eventually goes bad is the "sock" but that takes a ton of shows and keeping it under my hot motorbus stowage.

By the way it's fun to use these year round. Snow on a summer day at a festival is pure magic!
I use one at Halloween as well.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
OCanada
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of OCanada
I have used "silent Storm" by Le Maitre -Fantastic much much quieter then True North and other brands email me for details. magic@brianglow.com
bmworldtour
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of bmworldtour
Check out http://www.zigmont.com they have good snow machines - although they are not located in Indiana -
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
I use the less exspensive one for my shows, a bit loud but music helps I found that to try and cover a wide area you would need fans as already mentioned but what I do is have mine set sideways over me so from the audinece point of view the whole stage is covered, to try and cover the audience is hard and shoot straigh out from stage just covers the centre seats , not a very wide jet. I am hoping to get a 2nd one to get a cross over and thicken up the effect so to speak. Hope this helps!?
Keep passing the open windows!
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
You can also get some good stuff through this company
http://www.cheaplights.com/
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Snow Machines! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL