The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » What is Street Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
I just wanna see how many of you can give me the definition of what a street magician is...
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
One who performs magic on the streets/sidewalks???

Or would you like a list of performers?
Or are you looking for a debate about performing style?
Or are you asking the difference between modern street magic versus traditional street magic?
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
When I think of street magic, I think of Guys standing on a corner of on the edge of an ally performing for no one at first. Then a crowd gathers. This stuff that blaine and angel do I don't consider street magic. If some one just came up to me and asked if they could show me a trick on the streets, I would hit them with my police batan that I carry with me at all times.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
As you can see already, there is a distinct division of the two types of "Street Magic." This is why we have two separate forums, this one and Sidewalk Shuffle.

My definition fits the Sidewalk Shuffle model. Busker, gathers a crowd, does a few tricks, passes the hat.

The commonly accepted definition on this forum is commonly referred to as "Hit and Run" magic, or if done indoors "Strolling" or "Walk Around" magic. This would be basically one on one presentations of singular tricks vs. the structured show of the Busker.

Both are legitimate, and each side thinks the other is wrong.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
magicguy67
View Profile
Loyal user
mEL.fLORIDA
287 Posts

Profile of magicguy67
Read the top of the side walk shuffle forum that should answer all the questions.
they thought it was impossible until they met me.

theres no reality in magic

did the magician come before the assistant or the other way around.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Personally I figured myself as a street performer.....a "busker" I did it for money and that was it.....tips and a hat pitch....NOT as a con 3 card monte shell game type....that is my personal definition.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LDM
View Profile
Loyal user
Upstate New York
278 Posts

Profile of LDM
I think of David Blaine!!1!eleven!1
johnnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of johnnymagic
Performing random acts of magic for a total stranger is what the Café calls it...
I have always thought of a street magician as a person making a living off of the street performing magic for small groups and drawing a crowd and eventually passing the hat. Cellini for example...
Out of all the magicians I know, you're one of 'em...

www.johnnymagicmemphis.com
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Chris Capehart, standing on a corner of on the edge of an ally performing for no one at first. Then a crowd gathers. Collecting money and making a living.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Skarn
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Skarn
Quote:
On 2005-12-12 15:50, Corey Harris wrote:
When I think of street magic, I think of Guys standing on a corner of on the edge of an ally performing for no one at first. Then a crowd gathers. This stuff that blaine and angel do I don't consider street magic. If some one just came up to me and asked if they could show me a trick on the streets, I would hit them with my police batan that I carry with me at all times.

You might think twice about that reaction.....because if you tried that when I asked, you'd get a big surprise!

Seriously though, why do you feel this way? I've done this exact thing before and had people thank me for making their day! Now, I do "screen" who I'm going to do this to...not just anyone. It's a "feeling" more than anything. But to get hostile just because someone asked you to show you a trick?

Skarn
It's better to burn out...than to fade away....
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
A Magician who performs a portion of his/her career on the streets to make a living. Criss Angel and David Blaine would be considered Street Magicians because they are getting paid for doing their act on the streets.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Quote:
On 2005-12-14 22:04, Dynamike wrote:
A Magician who performs a portion of his/her career on the streets to make a living. Criss Angel and David Blaine would be considered Street Magicians because they are getting paid for doing their act on the streets.

I never saw either one get paid.
A street magician works the street and gets money from the crowd not the TV producers. Sorry I must disagree.
Criss and David perform in the street sometimes, but they are not "Street Magicians".
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
Agree with that.

Also (Dynamike) this last post answer your other post "David Blaine vs Criss Angel".

Paolo Venturini
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2005-12-15 00:02, nucinud wrote:
I never saw either one get paid.
A street magician works the street and gets money from the crowd not the TV producers. Sorry I must disagree.
Criss and David perform in the street sometimes, but they are not "Street Magicians".

At least we agree they both perform magic in the streets, and the method of they're payment is by producers.
giochi
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of giochi
There would be no section on the magic Café called "Street Magic" if it wasnt for the show made by David Blaine in 97. What does that tell you about what the moderators think "Street Magic" means?
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Oh we'd have a street section... it would have topics about actual street magic
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Quote:
On 2005-12-15 13:03, giochi wrote:
There would be no section on the magic Café called "Street Magic" if it wasnt for the show made by David Blaine in 97. What does that tell you about what the moderators think "Street Magic" means?

I think that we have had Street Performers long before the great David. I don't think the Café would put a specific section for just a specific performer like that.
bsmith
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of bsmith
Quote:
On 2005-12-15 15:04, Alex Linian wrote:
Oh we'd have a street section... it would have topics about actual street magic

we do its called the side walk shuffle. you should take a look.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Uhhhhh.......no. There is a difference.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
In reference to his "Street Magic" show, what label would you give Blaine?
What label would you like to use the tricks/magic he did in the show?

Some thoughts.
What do you associate the label 'Artist' with?
Painter, Writer, Musician, Actor, Chef?

I just don't see why the term "Street Magician" can't include Buskers, Pitchmen and Strolling performers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » What is Street Magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL