The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » General dove magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I just wanted to see if anyone could tell me some truly amazing dove magic that would be a good addition to a act. Does anyone know of a close-up dove vanish or production?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4984 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magician 336, the best advice I think is to do as much research as you can either by reading or watching vid or both. The most amazing dove effects are the ones you can do well. Tony clark's vid's have some very good effects in them that are easy to perform but impressive. Prop magic (dove pan, drawer box etc) are good ways to start out, then you can progress into the more elaborate forms of dove magic.

Decide what you want to do and then work out how to do it. That's part of the fun of working with doves. That will give you a unique act as well. You don't want to look like every other dove magician. Develope your ideas to fit your style and personality.

As far as close up dove effects, yes there are several. Johnny Thompson does a close up dove production that can be performed in a living room. Be creative and you'll find that there is always a way if you put your mind to it.
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Once again, Dave is right! There are MANY different things that can be done close-up with doves that are fairly simple to do, as mentioned - Dove Pan, etc....And again, getting some videos of other performers, or going to magic shops (online, physical) will give you some great ideas on how to use doves close-up. To be honest with you, I do dove steals close-up also. So it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish - Balloon Trays, Pans, Perches...Magician336 there is ALOT to choose from.

I suggest before trying to cram all this stuff into a show though, sit down and write out your "story board". Write out what you want to do, picture it, then put it together. Doing this will save you a lot of time and money in the end...That's why a lot of us magicians have useless things sitting around the house!! *haha* We rushed in and purchased things that are now, well, useless. Hope that helps some....
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
That's good because I love making my own routines. I'll take that into thought. What are some good sources of dove bags? I've been to Tony Clarks page but his pockets and bags are out of my price range.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Magician 336,

Dove acts simply cost money to perform. (One reason so many magicians only do card magic!) Most dove harnesses and/or bags are going to run $25-$40. Unsually the money you save you're going to need to fix the problems. My first rule is that I would not buy a dove harness from someone who is not a bird worker. Many harnesses out there aren't dove size. A good indication of that is clipped feathers. Trimmed off tails usually mean rusty cages or wrong harness for the bird. Take your time and shop, see the producer's act, and look at his birds. Good harnesses will easily last you 400-500 shows. They are an investment.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Thank you that information makes me feel much better about buying harnesses, bags, etc. but what are some equipment besides that that would be durable and precision to use. So far I've seen caskets, trays, and pans but what else would be good to add?
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Magician 336,

Stop, Get Tony Clark's DVD or Video, Tony Clark Unmasks II. It will provide you with easy non body loads and provide many different methods. At the end of the DVD there is a Very Impressive Vanishing Cane to Silks and on the off beat a Dove production that does use a body load. It will be the easiest body load you will ever do and it looks great.

Then if you like that get the other DVDs from Tony Clark. Tony Clark Unmasks I and Behind the Seams (which delves deep into Dove magic).

Don't overlook the Advice from both Dave Scribner and Bob Sanders as they have tons of experience. (Hey Bob do I get a commission if he buys any of your products?)

James Adamson
http://www.seam2006.com
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
James,

Once upon a time I was promised a commission from the Navy. Was I supposed to get money? Best I remember, I financed my Navy time from prior earnings!

You wouldn't dare tell Magician 336 that you use four of my harnesses would you? Just keep it a secret. I will! The guys in Vegas do too.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Quote:
On 2005-12-14 10:14, 1906Alpha1906 wrote:
Once again, Dave is right! There are MANY different things that can be done close-up with doves that are fairly simple to do, as mentioned - Dove Pan etc.

Also If you don't have a dove you can use the dove pan to produce just about anything.
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I recently found some one who sells harnesses and bags for get ready..........5 bucks each on ebay that are hand made and are produced by a pro and friend of mine.
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Are they any good? Hey Dave, how is your dove vid coming along? I might be really late in asking this, but I haven't been on this part of the forum for a while.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » General dove magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL