The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » SupaLok (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
For those of you that were interested in my SupaLok posts a few months ago, this is to let you know that due to a cancelled export order, I have a few available for immediate shipping at almost half the original price. Details are on http://www.mickhanzlik.co.uk.

Please pm me if you are interested.

Thanks

Mick
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
If I didn't already have one, I would be pm'ng you Mick Smile

For those that don't have one, get one. Especially at half price! They are a great piece of work.
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Thanks for the good words David. Response has been good and I only have a few left now.

Mick
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Bringing back an old thread. So first off the half price locks Mick mentions above ARE NOT AVAILABLE since this thread was started in 2005, and its currently 2011.

The reason I'm bringing it back is I noticed Mick's SupaLoks are now available through Alakazam Magic ( http://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-Supalo......lik.html ).

Nice one Mick!
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
DavidKim
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of DavidKim
You technically MADE me happy for the first 10s of my entry to Café.. Smile

I got to take a look then.. Smile
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Thanks for bringing this up again guys. Supalok's are available from Alakazam Magic and also Black Cat Magic here in the UK. If you are in the US or rest of the world, contact Cannon's Great Escapes and they will be able to help. Details of sizes are on my website http://www.loxandkeys.com/supalok.html

Or pm me for more information
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Is there anything comparable to the late, great Mick Hanzlik’s Supalok today?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2018, rmendez wrote:
Is there anything comparable to the late, great Mick Hanzlik’s Supalok today?

They still come up for sale in groups like "Second-hand magic UK 2.0" on Facebook. I have 2 the Maxi and the Midi. Always keeping an eye out for the other size.

I believe Mick's family have been in touch with some people to get them to make the locks and keep Mick's name going in association with the Supa Lock. I know that he also used to make the Grisma Lock. That is now made by someone else.

There will always be other versions out there. But in my opinion the Supa Lock is the best as it can be done hands off by the perfromer.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Mick’s passing left such an incredible void. Ironically, I was corresponding with him via e-mail about purchasing sets in all 3 sizes the same month that he passed Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2018, rmendez wrote:
Mick’s passing left such an incredible void. Ironically, I was corresponding with him via e-mail about purchasing sets in all 3 sizes the same month that he passed Smile

Yes, massive gap! Such an awesome mind and some AMAZING machining skills! A true talent - proud to have classed him as a friend.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Anyone familiar with this lock? Apparently, it functions precisely as the discontinued Mick Hanzlik locks. https://www.magiccenterharri.com/catalog......id=17848
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Wow sounds like an exact replica. I hop it does not work the way Mick's does. I'll say it in plain language I hope he has not copied Mick's design now Mick has gone. Unless of course, he has purchased the rites to make it from Mick's family.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Just had a message from The Hanzlik family.

I let them know about the lock and sent them the link.

This is the reply I got from Mick’s daughter:-

“Hi David, I am with mum and my sisters now , and nobody has granted anybody any permission to do anything to do with the supalock. If you wouldn’t mind making people aware of this , that would be appreciated ! Thank you and we do really appreciate you highlighting this and everyone looking out for us!”

I will not pass judgment on him- I am aware that the site is not in English and has been translated by my browser. But my instinct tells me that the progam doing the translation will just do names directly. Whether this lock for sale works like the awesome SupaLoc or if he has found a new method I don’t think they should use Mick’s name or SupaLoc without at least asking the family.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I received the lock today and it does indeed function hands-off and precisely as the late, great Hanzlik’s Supalok. The only difference is that it resets from the side as opposed to the bottom which is trivial to me. The lock is comparable in size to Hanzlik’s largest lock and manufactured of the same high quality and precision. The keys appear more like standard keys from a lay audience’s perspective in my opinion. I am extremely pleased with this purchase and will most definitely put it to good use. Generally speaking, I only endorse and support original creators but given the unfortunate circumstances, this product comes very highly recommended. To me, it is a far better option than paying an overly inflated price for a used, original Hanzlik due to scarcity if you are even able to find one available.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2018, rmendez wrote:
I received the lock today and it does indeed function hands-off and precisely as the late, great Hanzlik’s Supalok. The only difference is that it resets from the side as opposed to the bottom which is trivial to me. The lock is comparable in size to Hanzlik’s largest lock and manufactured of the same high quality and precision. The keys appear more like standard keys from a lay audience’s perspective in my opinion. I am extremely pleased with this purchase and will most definitely put it to good use. Generally speaking, I only endorse and support original creators but given the unfortunate circumstances, this product comes very highly recommended. To me, it is a far better option than paying an overly inflated price for a used, original Hanzlik due to scarcity if you are even able to find one available.

Micks locks reset from the side. That's where the pins are, so that is where they need to reset from.

Regarding the keys - Mick was always open to offers for making additional sets of keys. For example, I have a set that looks identical to the other keys - except that none of them open the lock. So I can switch them in at the end and let people examine the lock and the keys all they want and only one key opens the lock.

As a friend of the family and a friend of Mick, I am upset that his family has not been contacted. Just because the creator has passed away does not mean any tom dick or harry can just start making the things they made and sold. Well, I guess it shows what morels the manufacturer/seller has.

His family has been approached by the company who sold the Grismer Locks and between them, they have sourced the work out to another highly skilled locksmith. So if any Grismer locks start appearing on the same website -you know you are not buying an official one. The Grismer lock is limited to 25 a year. But who knows this seller has no issue with making stuff just because someone who designed it is dead... viva la free enterprise.

A very sad

David
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Interesting. I owned one of Mick's locks and it reset from the bottom. I wholeheartedly concur. Mick's passing was a great loss and his family should have been contacted out of respect for the original creator.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2018, rmendez wrote:

I owned one of Mick's locks and it reset from the bottom.

Well, I'll be blowed...he must have had different resets on different locks. Maybe due to the size or position of the pins? Both my Supaloks reset from the side where the pins are inserted propr to putting in the caps and "sanding" them off flat. Maybe he found a different method than the gaffed pins?

Unless we are talking about different bottoms and sides?
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Quite possibly. During our last conversations a month or so before his passing, he did state that the lock I owned was one of the "older" ones and mentioned his newest locks were revolutionary in comparison.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
And yesterday was his 70th birthday. So raise a glass and toast Mick.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Now I have to admit to some proper muppetry... I have 3 Supa locks - 2 larger and one mini. The mini lock has a reset hole on the bottom. I have never used that one - only bought it so I had the different sizes.

Have a good week,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » SupaLok (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL