The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Care of hands? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
To all the sleight-of-hand folks out there -- how do you care for your hands?

Especially in the wintertime, my skin becomes quite dry. This causes the skin near my fingertips to crack and split, especially at the corners of the fingernails. It's not only painful, but also unsightly, which is no good if your hands are the star of the show.

So far I've used Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion with Aloe, which seems to work fairly well, but it can be a little greasy. I also wear gloves when going outside, to prevent the hands from further drying out. Any other suggestions?

I'd also appreciate tips on maintaining the cuticles and nails. I don't want to be a hand model, but on the other hand, if I show up with hands that look like they've been sorting sandpaper all day, it's not a good image! SETHB
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Some of this is pretty basic. One thing is to wash your hands. I know this may sound kind of obvious, but when you see someone who looks like he just got through replacing the transmission in your car bring out a deck of cards, the last thing you want to do is take one of them.

There is nothing wrong with getting a manicure. If you get one on a monthly basis, you can maintain your hands, yourself.

You probably know this, but I'm sure others on the forum do not, so I'll pass it along. ALWAYS wear gloves when loading and unloading stuff from your car or van. I learned this from some friends who were road musicians. They NEVER took their instruments out of the luggage compartment or trunk with ungloved hands. I asked them why, and they said, "On the road, you can't afford to have one day when you can't play right. Those little nicks and scratches add up."

Avoid activities that place your hands in jeopardy. Don't bowl. You may get your finger caught in a ball. This may sound silly. It isn't. It happened to a friend of mine, an experienced bowler the day before she had to play at a contest.

Whatever lotion you use, make sure you aren't allergic to it. Also, make sure it doesn't make your hands too slippery.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use Gold Bond Body Lotion (unscented) to keep my hands in shape. When performing, I coat my hands with Corn Huskers Lotion, because of the grip it provides.

It's best to never cut your nails with clippers, unless you have a hangnail. Just file across the ends and round the corners a little. I use the tip of a file to gently push the cuticle back. Wear gloves when doing any manual labor and wrap fingers with finger tape, if you do something that might produce blisters.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
In the wintertime, I sometimes lotion up my hands and then put on gloves before I go to sleep. A great way to get the lotion to seep into the skin all night long. I don't put on lotion before I perform because it is too greasy.

Be careful not to wash your hands too often in the winter, because it will dry your hands out even more. Remember our bodies are amazing machines that produce most of what we need. The oils that come naturally from your pores are great for moisturization. Wash your hands when necessary, but only to get off dirt, not to wash away your body's natural maintenance system.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4049 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Cornhusker's Lotion

Zim's Crack Creme (great for people like me whose hands are slick as ice)
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Mark is right Cornhusker's and Zims are both good. Cornhuskers is water based which might be a little easier on your cardstock. I have also found that Miracle Foot Repair cream - sold in the pharmacy for diabetics works good too, put it on the night before.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2005-12-15 10:47, Bill Palmer wrote:
Some of this is pretty basic. One thing is to wash your hands. I know this may sound kind of obvious, but when you see someone who looks like he just got through replacing the transmission in your car bring out a deck of cards, the last thing you want to do is take one of them.

There is nothing wrong with getting a manicure. If you get one on a monthly basis, you can maintain your hands, yourself.

You probably know this, but I'm sure others on the forum do not, so I'll pass it along. ALWAYS wear gloves when loading and unloading stuff from your car or van. I learned this from some friends who were road musicians. They NEVER took their instruments out of the luggage compartment or trunk with ungloved hands. I asked them why, and they said, "On the road, you can't afford to have one day when you can't play right. Those little nicks and scratches add up."

Avoid activities that place your hands in jeopardy. Don't bowl. You may get your finger caught in a ball. This may sound silly. It isn't. It happened to a friend of mine, an experienced bowler the day before she had to play at a contest.

Whatever lotion you use, make sure you aren't allergic to it. Also, make sure it doesn't make your hands too slippery.

There are a few good tips on care of skin (your hands) in Wesley James' "Enchantments".

Good tip on the gloves thing Mr P. It's pretty easy to smash your fingers up or cut them when hauling stuff around.

A former bandmate of mine was a contractor, renovations and such. One day he put a nail through his thumb with a nailgun. He was very lucky that it eventually healed properly, and he could still play guitar.

BTW: in Canada we have something called 5 pin bowling, and I don't think that's so common down your way (invented in Toronto!). You use much smaller balls, less pins and the balls have no holes in them. A bit like bocci balls. I prefer 5 pin because a) you can whip the balls harder which is more fun b) no holes in the balls to get your finger stuck in and c) with 10 pin bowling balls, the only ones that ever fit my big fingers are the 17 pounders...too hard on the shoulder.
tjo'
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
One of the core members of our local IBM ring is a dermatologist, and this question came up at a meeting because a guy said in the winter his hands cracked so bad they would sometimes bleed. The dermatologist said lotions do not effectively moisturize skin, but water does. But lotions can lock moisture in. He said what you do is soak your dry skin in water for a couple of minutes, then while the skin is still wet, put on any petroleum-based product.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Weird. I do a card manipulation routine with white cotton gloves on and when I take them off my hands are dryer than ever. Then again I don't go to the lengths everyone here seems to be going to. I just use sortkwik.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4049 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Maybe the cotton absorbs the moisture from your skin.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
The best thing for anything dry is Emu Oil. Of course it may be a little hard to get in most parts of the world.

It is essentially rendered down emu fat. The good stuff doesn't smell, and it is such a fine oil that it will seep through the glass of a beer bottle. Because it is so fine, it gets absorbed readily into the skin. It also encourages new growth so it's worth using if you do damage your hands.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
There is a thick blue cream that comes in a tub that is supposed to be Emu oil based. I found it at Sam's Club. Didn't get any at the time, but the sample felt good.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Since cream is thicker than lotion, it last longer. I use "Eucerin" moisturizing cream. It is not cheap.
rogueclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Hollywood
320 Posts

Profile of rogueclown
My wife told me that udder cream is supposed to work well. Has anyone heard of this before? I work at Home Depot and I also twist balloons. My hands are very beat up, I do get a manicure everyother week and I try and wear my work gloves as much as I can during my NORMAL job.
RC
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input and suggestions. After all, there's no point in handling a $150 set of brass cups if you have $1 hands!! SETHB
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1302 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Petrolium based hand creams will eventually cause your hands to rely on the product too much.
Try to use natural hand moisturizures whenever possible.
Frank Garcia once told me to use dishwashing liquid...and get regular manicures.

I was recently at the manicurist and she said that keeping your hands warm and not using harsh antibacterial soaps should help to keep them softer. I have also heard that if you use those soaps that have alcohol in them, that it will dry out your hands very quickly in the winter time.

Some one also once told me they used a combination of udder cream, rosewater and glycerin that they would batch up each fall.
for the cuticals I used vitamen c oil just rub it in and in two to three days you should see an improvement.
Later,
Mobius
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
One last thing I forgot to mention is to drink lots of water, not coffee, not colas, water. That is always the best thing you can do for your skin.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
superdave101
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of superdave101
Every night before going to bed, make sure you always put a little bit of petroleum jelly on your hands.(That will help your hand stay soft)And in the morning use some glycerine based cream (GLYSOMED works for me.
It's a good idea to apply two or three times a day after washing hands.

David R.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Some people are allergic to emu oil. Nobody has suggested mink oil yet, but it, too can be allergenic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2005-12-15 23:21, flimnar wrote:
One of the core members of our local IBM ring is a dermatologist, and this question came up at a meeting because a guy said in the winter his hands cracked so bad they would sometimes bleed. The dermatologist said lotions do not effectively moisturize skin, but water does. But lotions can lock moisture in. He said what you do is soak your dry skin in water for a couple of minutes, then while the skin is still wet, put on any petroleum-based product.

Flimnar

I am a nurse and wash my hands at work 20 or 30 times a shift.This dries them out considerably. The solution for me is dry to them thoroughly then immediately use a non lanolin lotion and massage in well.
The most important is often overlooked. ARE you hydrated? Do you drink enough water? Hydrating your hands and skin as the Dr. qouted above requires H2O, best results occur when it is taken INTERNALLY. Eight 8oz. glasses go far for your general health and prevention of dry skin. Sounds like a lot of water but once you try it you'll find it really isn't.

I should have read the whole thread as Mr. Tougas already hit the nail on the head.One more thing, Mink Oil stinks,very fragrant :0 .
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Care of hands? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL