The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Sources for Dragon Thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Sure this has been discussed before. Specifically I am looking for the "dragon thread" that came with the Mike Wong VHS, I like the feel of it and it breaks easily. Where can I get this kind of thread without having to buy the video again.
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5373 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Try chevries dental floss routine...kills....and breaks easy...no pain
koz
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
Look for "Basting Thread."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Not the same.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1138 Posts

Profile of APC
I too have been needing the thread, lost the original and havent even viewed the dvd since, but would enjoy getting back into it
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I look at Mike Wong's website and he does not offer any refill or supply source for the Dragon Thread. Hmmm...
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
tommy k
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of tommy k
I had the same problem, when I ran out and my wife very casually stated that she had the exact thread type for her needle point. You can purchase it (in any color) at any craft store or Wal-Mart.
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
I boughtt the video three times already! Tommy K, can you give more info on the thread, brand number size or something? Thanks- Mark
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
OMG, you bought the vid 3 times for the thread? I'm wondering if you should contact Mike Wong directly about this. http://www.mikewong.com/
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-12-16 11:47, cinemagician wrote:
Sure this has been discussed before. Specifically I am looking for the "dragon thread" that came with the Mike Wong VHS, I like the feel of it and it breaks easily. Where can I get this kind of thread without having to buy the video again.

Quote:
On 2005-12-17 01:16, tommy k wrote:
I had the same problem, when I ran out and my wife very casually stated that she had the exact thread type for her needle point. You can purchase it (in any color) at any craft store or Wal-Mart.

Cinemagician,

Tommy is correct. The thread is either embroidery thread or needle point thread. I'm not certain which one. Someone sent me a "packet" of the replacement thread and I've misplaced it. I'll try and find it and give you the exact berand and stock number. In the interim, just go down to you local crafts store and take a look at the needle point thead and the embroidery thread. You should be able to find the right kind just by examining the two choices.

Hope this info helps.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
The exact thread Mike Wong uses in the Dragon Thread video/DVD is sold at Wal-Mart or any outlet that sells sewing supplies.

At Wal-Mart it is called Embroidory Floss. There are probably over 200 colors available on 3 revolving racks. Each bundle contains 8m (8.7yds), and the price is 24 cents. You'll find it with the sewing supplies. If you don't see it, ask for it, I'm sure all the stores carry it.
tommy k
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of tommy k
Sorry for the late post, Bill has provided all of the correct information. You will feel like the proverbial "kid in a candy store" when you see the selection.

Have fun!
okbohn
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of okbohn
Can you explain the Dragon Thread routine and effect?
lekin
View Profile
Regular user
Sometimes less is more so I only have
143 Posts

Profile of lekin
It's a torn and restored thread effect, of which there are many different versions. In Mike Wong's Dragon Thread, he gives pulls the thread from a small Chinese box, before tearing and restoring. I believe in his version on the Dragon Thread DVD he performs to music, although my memory might be faulty on this point. Eugene Burger does a version he calls Hindu Thread. Gary Ouellet has a version in Close Up Illusions and I am also familiar with a version from Lewis Ganson's The Art of Close Up Magic. It's also been done with dental floss. There are probably lots of other versions as well. It's a versatile effect that can be adapted according to a performer's personality and audience.
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
You can see a demo of Mike Wong performing "Dragon Thread" here:

http://www.magicsmith.com/product_info.php?products_id=27
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Quote:
On 2005-12-20 23:07, okbohn wrote:

A version of the Gypsy Thread.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
Quote:
On 2005-12-20 23:07, okbohn wrote:

Was it Al Baker that first came up with the Gypsie Thread routine? It is in Pet Secrets as The Hindu Thread Trick. But this is published in 1951. There are probably earlier versions?
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Guys thanks very much, I was busy Christmas err..is..it.."holiday" shopping and forgot all about the thread until I would up in an arts and crafts store tonite to buy some picture frames. I wish I had checked the board before I went shopping. Thanks evolve629, Tommy, Turk and Bill Beach for your help. Now I can start doing the effect again. Gary I would be interested in finding out more about the origin...wait Eugene Burger's here!...maybe we could ask him? Have a nice Christmas..errr..holiday- cinemagician

William Butler Yeats
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
713 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
I have to tell you, I just watched the Magic Smith video clip for the first time and other than the empty hands display, I don't see any difference between Dragon Thread and Max Londono's ETERNAL STRING - NEW STARS OF MAGIC - VOL. 1 NO. 9. I did that routine as a teenager in the late 70's; Got some hands on instruction from Max himself.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
okbohn
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of okbohn
Check this out!

http://www.magicsmith.com/product_info.p......db641b84

$5 for the video--I ordered it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Sources for Dragon Thread (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL