The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Miracles from the Sock Drawer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
351 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
New DVD by a guy I've never heard of before - Paul Gallagher. Anyone know him, or has anyone seen the DVD yet ?
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
I just ordered it from Hocus-Pocus. An interesting concept; I certainly have much more than a sock drawer of magic items I haven't used for years! Will be happy to provide some comments as soon as I receive it and have a chance to watch. 5 and 1/2 hours?!
yendor
View Profile
New user
Yendor
60 Posts

Profile of yendor
* 5 hours and 48 minutes runtime

* 57 classic sock drawer props and effects are dusted off, revised, revisited, and given Paul Gallagher's professional touch

* 54 DVD chapters

* Card magic, coin magic, close-up magic, parlor magic , stage magic, children's show magic, and mentalism are all included
yendor
View Profile
New user
Yendor
60 Posts

Profile of yendor
I also think it's a real fun and funny DVD to watch!
pezgod
View Profile
New user
Ohio
94 Posts

Profile of pezgod
Ok,

I just picked got this one today! The box and dvd look nice, not a cheap DVD copied on someone's computer! The opening is kind of humorous too! The quality of the video is better than a lot of dvds that I have seen as well. The content is great. I'm just a hobbyist, and already I've found new uses for stuff that I bought over 10 years ago, and has been sitting in a box since about 9 years ago! My only complaint The only complaint about this dvd came from my fiancee who said I was spending too much time in front of the dvd!! I've already spent about 2 hours in front of the TV, and I'm going to be there for another at least 3 and a half more hours! And on a side note...I Love the sock!!!! he pops up every once in a while, especially in the explanation of "Fifi the great", and is a great addition to the dvd.

As far as I have watched, I think everyone can benefit from the wonderful ideas given in this dvd. As I said, I'm just a hobbyist, and I've already found many things that I can use! I'm sure everyone who picks this one up will love it! The time will go by rapidly while watching this one! I'll post some more comments when I'm done with the other 3 1/2 hours! And I look forward to hearing what anybody else has to say as well!!

Pez
yendor
View Profile
New user
Yendor
60 Posts

Profile of yendor
Thought you might be interested in the "sock drawer" props and effects covered in this DVD.

Tel-A-Vision; Disintegration Chamber; Plastic Cups & Balls; Michael Close's "Pothole Trick"; Don Alan's "Ranch Bird"; Mene-Tekel Deck; Crystal Casket; Acrobatic Matchbox; Cigarette Through Quarter; Dan Harlan's "Card-Toon"; Multipying Balls; Thumb Tip; Folding Half; One Handed Change Bag; Mummy Mystery; Double Faced Cards; Needle-Thru-Balloon; Stripper Deck; Rainbow Deck; Blank Backed Deck; Marked Deck; Lota Water Jug; Scotch & Soda; Flash string; Finger Chopper; Buddha Money Mystery; Svengali Deck; Mirage Deck; Koornwinder Car; Coin Fold; Stodare Egg/Egg-Posure; Fan-Ta-Stik/Hotrod; Zig-Zag Pencil/Cigarette; Coin Cap; Mirror Box; Tony Curtis' "Night Out With The Girls"; Pearl Poodle; Glorpy; Pocket Spirit Slates; Vanishing Cigarette; Coin & Glass; Dime & Penny; Quarter Penetration; Plastic Rice Bowls; "Rocky" The Raccoon; In The News; Slush Powder; Rocco's "D'Lite"; Rip-Apart Change Bag; Dynamic Coins; Miracle Card Case; Mental Photography Deck; Invisible Deck/Brainwave Deck; Paul Harris' "Reality Twister"; Flash Paper; John Cornelius' "Thought Transmitter"; Photo-Coin; Crystal Casket; 2 Card Monte.

That's all folks.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Yendor, thanks for the detailed list!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
Sweeet. Even if I never perform half of that, it's a treasure trove of magical knowledge. Anything that stimulates new creativity can build your act.

Might I add Yendor is one wonderful guy to deal with.
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
ZAM!
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of ZAM!
Well, I haven't had a chance to finish the nearly six hours yet, but so far I really like it. I think the humor is a nice touch and really makes it very fun to watch. As for the tricks, I think most of them are very practical and overall very interesting ideas. I'm exited to try them out.

This DVD has also made me think differently about all the other really old tricks that I haven't used in years. I now find myself trying to think of new ideas for more old props.

-ZAM!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Your sock drawer will thank you. I also keep my passport in there Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I was fortunate enough to watch the initial tapes from which the final DVD was culled. Paul is a great thinker and has some really really great ideas. If you look at Rodney Whitlock's list of covered items above you'll see they are props we all most likely have and are available in most any magic store. The real benefit of this DVD is that Paul has created routines and handlings to take these classic items to a new level. Paul's got some really creative ideas that will have you thinking "wow that's clever" and will most likely have you searching back in your magic drawer for items that were gathering dust. Highly recommended and a real bargain for the amount of material crammed in to this DVD.

Tim Trono
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

I especially liked the Svengali idea.
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
ChrisVincent
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of ChrisVincent
Paul Gallagher's "Miracles From the Sock Drawer" is without doubt, the best general magic dvd that I have ever seen. The information is great. The routines and presentations are professional, well thought out and completely entertaining. I am already using several of the routines in my own performances including "Identity Theft", the childrens' change bag routine and my own version of "Ranch Pig". The quality of the dvd is great and the amount of information (almost 6 hours) is unheard of in an instructional dvd. Especially a dvd with a price tag so low. One might expect to pay $29.95 for a dvd that teaches one routine...not 6 hours worth. Honestly, the explanation of the "Optical Revolve" is worth the price of the entire dvd. Paul's knowledge of the effects and their origins is right on. I have had the opportunity to see him perform live and he is wonderful. If you haven't bought "Miracles From the Sock Drawer" yet...what are you waiting for? Do yourself a favor and get this thing. It will give new life to your old props and new life to your performance!
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Compare this with Ellusionist's "Inside Magic" or laughable "Street magic," with a few tricks each and lots of fluff, at a much higher price. Paul doesn't just teach the one trick, he mentions variations that expand the number of effects from 50 to about 80.
------

Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Paul is a storehouse of knowledge and was taught by none other than Derek Dingle.
quality and quantity ...who could ask for more?
The video is pretty cool.
Thanks Yendor for making it.
Mobius
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
This is great DVD on so many levels.

If you are just starting in magic Paul gives real world presentations for very basic props. So if your friends know the secret you will still be able to amuse them with the proper handling and patter.

On another level the intermediate performer will get a good reminder of those old tricks and how they can be used properly to fill out a long gig.

Even seasoned pros will like this disk to reminisce about how it was done in the old days when Marlo and Vernon worked carnies. Paul gives detailed references for the moves he describes.

With the amount of material and tips he could have made it two or more disks, and I have found several ideas that I can use, so I think the DVD is an outstanding value. Regardless of the sock puppet, it is actually helpful sometimes adding details to the explanation, and provides some comic relief to a long session with a pro.

I'd give this DVD Two Thumbs Up! Smile Smile
mjm
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
braddevant
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of braddevant
I told Yendor he was nuts for not releasing the change bag routine as a stand alone dvd. It alone is worth the price of the dvd. A 7 or 8 minute childrens routine with color, humor, audience participation, and a great trick that self resets for the next performance. What more could a worker want. If you don't buy this dvd you are missing the boat BIG TIME!
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
I love this DVD. I now have a new routine for the change bag that makes it very amazing the way Paul presents it. I am going to purchase a zig zag just so I can do his wonderful routine. My best purchase of 2006.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
What are some of the other props he covers?
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
yendor
View Profile
New user
Yendor
60 Posts

Profile of yendor
Scroll up to my post of 12-27-05 for a complete liat of the "sock drawer" props and routines included on the DVD.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Miracles from the Sock Drawer (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL