The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Vegetarianism » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
If you want to see what meat is see click this.

petatv.com

Probably for the 15 and above. Please post any comments, being a vegetarian isn't hard. Trust me.
Tarbell!
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
If everyone was a veggie then the amount of land required to feed them would exceed the potential of this planet.

Every acre of lettuce would only yield less then 0.3% of an entire cow in energy exchange terms. ie look at the calorie value of lettuce and beef and then look at the energy input totals for both.

The teeth and digestion system of humans results from a omnivourous diet. Any denial of this basic human trait (to eat meat) is a denial of the true nature of humans.

It may be that veggies do not acknowledge or are sickened/afraid of the human potential and thus choose to "elevate" themselves to a fictional ideal.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Who says every vege has to eat lettuce? True nature? Watch the video, that may be your true nature but that's not mine. No animal, human or other animal deserves that kind of torture.
Tarbell!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2005-12-17 16:55, ChristianR wrote:
Who says every vege has to eat lettuce? True nature? Watch the video, that may be your true nature but that's not mine. No animal, human or other animal deserves that kind of torture.

How do you think animals die? They don't usually expire peacefully from old age in retirement facilities. No most animals meet rather gruesome ends being torn apart and eaten alive by larger hungrier animals.
Granted our food industry needs reforms and there is no reason to needlessly torture animals, but us ceaseing from eating them won't aleviate the fact that they will die in a rather (to our modern urban sensibilities) nasty fashion.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I believe it is completely unfair and uncivilized to eat anything that can't defend itself or run away...you know...like carrots and beets and artichokes and spinach and...

Where do people get the idea that "Not Very Magic, but..." means "Preach to us and change our ways to fit thy mold, Oh great master of thought and all that is right!"???

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
After Master Payne's post, I am kinda hungry for a nice steak. Smile
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Brian you are in luck. I have a nice big juicy steak right here. When I go to wrestle in arkansas I go to a local farm and pick my pig for dinner that night. I love it. To the original poster. If you don't like meat, that's fine. But don't come in here and preach to me or any one else that Meat is bad. If I was president I would put all you plant eaters on a dessert island with a camera crew just to see how long you would last.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
most animals meet rather gruesome ends being torn apart and eaten alive by larger hungrier animals.

That's what I tell the idiots who come up to me and rant about my cruelty in keeping a sweet wittle bunny-wunny in a cage.

HOWEVER

I gained a new appreciation for the "fattening, heart-damaging" qualities of meat when I had top fatten my kid up. He has a digestive disorder and lost 17% of his body weight before we figured out what it was. First thing: put the weight back! A 15-pound box of bacon did most of the job, and a steady diet of burgers did the rest. (He's now almost fine-tuned on his meds and growing again, thank you)

I haven't integrated the lesson into my own diet yet, but I'm starting (basically, everything I shouldn't eat, he should eat). Gaining a new appreciation in my own diet for tofu (get rid of those dreadfully crappy tree-hugger recipes and making "fake meat replacement", think of firm tofu as like hard-boiled egg-white, and fix it as the Chinese do) - I will gladly send anyone my recipe for spicy "Ma Po Tofu" as in your favorite Chinese restaurant, and my own blisteringly GOSH-DARNED HOT Chicken-broth and Tofu Soup.

Posted: Dec 17, 2005 7:05pm
Quote:

I believe it is completely unfair and uncivilized to eat anything that can't defend itself or run away...you know...like carrots and beets and artichokes and spinach and...

Don't Slay That Potato by Tom Paxton

How can you do it? It's heartless, it's cruel.
It's murder, cold-blooded, it's gross.
To slay a poor vegetable just for your stew
Or to serve with some cheese sauce on toast.
Have you no decency? Have you no shame?
Have you no conscience, you cad,
To rip that poor vegetable out of the earth
Away from its poor mom and dad?
CHORUS:
Oh, no, don't slay that potato!
Let us be merciful, please.
Don't boil it or fry it, don't even freeze-dry it.
Don't slice it or flake it.
For God's sake, don't bake it!
Don't shed the poor blood
Of this poor helpless spud.
That's the worst kind of thing you could do.
Oh, no, don't slay that potato
What never done nothing to you!

Why not try picking on something your size
Instead of some carrot or bean?
The peas are all trembling there in their pod
Just because you're so vicious and mean.
How would you like to be grabbed by your hair
And ruthlessly yanked from your bed
And have done to you God knows what horrible things,
To be eaten with full-fiber bread?

(Chorus)

There ought to be some way of saving our skins.
They ought to be passing a law.
Just show anybody a cute little lamb
And they'll all stand around and go "Aw!"
Well, potatoes are ugly. Potatoes are plain.
We're wrinkled and lumpy to boot.
But give me a break, kid. Do you mean to say
That you'll eat us because we're not cute?

(Chorus)
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Oh yeah...PETA! People Eating Tasty Animals.

FWIW

Cheers! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
LDM
View Profile
Loyal user
Upstate New York
278 Posts

Profile of LDM
Ridiculous. I'm a vegetarian, but PETA...

*sigh*
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Please tell me nobody here supports the idiots at PETA. If anyone does, then maybe they should watch the show Penn & Teller did on the organization.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Study protein. Our body synthesizes all but eight of the amino acids. These "missing" amino acids in humans need to be supplemented via protein ingestion.

The trick to a vegetarian diet is to make sure you are eating a balance of these "missing" eight amino acids. If you are, then all's good. If you aren't, then symptoms of protein dificiency include lethargy, weight loss, impared eyesight, and others similar to malnutrition.

There is also a digestibility factor involved. Not all the proteins you ingest are usable by your body. Your body doesn't store them either, like it does fat. Instead, your body passes unused and unusable proteins. Generally, the most common foods containing the most "usable" proteins include (in order!)

#1. The Chicken Egg - 97% usable proteins in this baby...to bad it is so high in cholesterol.
#2. Fish - 90% usable proteins. Especially white fish.
#3. Chicken - 80% usable proteins..and, by the way, answers the age old question of which came first...Smile
#4. Beef. 70% usable proteins. That's what's for dinner. 30% wasted.

And to Partizan.
Using lettuce as a factor in your argument only weakens your argument. Lettuce is 95% water 5% roughage and is only really good if you're thirsty or have to pass something. Think grains, like rice, wheat, oats, barleys, and legumes, like beans and such, and your argument gets weaker. Ten pounds of grains are needed to produce one pound of animal flesh. One pound of animal flesh feeds one person. Ten pounds of grains could feed ten. If the entire world were on a strict vegetarian diet of grains, fruits, and vegetables, the United States alone could produce more food than the entire world could eat. And that would end world hunger...just like that.

Myself? I'm omnivorous. There are oils your body desires that can only be obtained by eating fish. Iron, an essential element, is easier to ingest by eating medium-rare steaks. I like chicken with lemon or orange. I eat more rice and beans than most people would realize. And vegetables for vitamins and minerals, and fruits because they taste so darn good. I eat meats, but I keep them to a minimum.

To say that we should eat meat is a mistake. To say that we shouldn't eat meat is also a mistake. To say that we should eat a responsible, well-balanced diet that is predominantly grains and breads is something we learned in grammar school, and something that has been proven again and again and again.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-12-17 15:56, ChristianR wrote:... Please post any comments, being a vegetarian isn't hard. Trust me.

As long as we are doing this for simple water, energy and health reasons... fine.

Remember, plants are living things too.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Oh, I do think Peta has gone overboard more than they should. Way overboard.... but they have some good pictures for those trying to become vegetarians. Smile

http://www.vegetus.org/vegtoon/early.jpg

The caption is

vegetarians returning from the kill
Tarbell!
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Carrots cause cancer!!!

I have the proof
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Over 90% of people with cancer have eaten meat. Therefore, meat must cause cancer.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
True Ross, but they all breathed air, so it's more likely the air than the meat. Let's test the hypothesis... has anyone gotten cancer after they've stopped breathing? No? Case closed.

nothing like logic
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I know several people who are vegetarians. Great people, but everytime I have lunch or dinner with them, they open a container and dump out at least 5 or 6 supplements to take with their meal and in the same breath tell me how being a vegetarian is healthier. Each to his own...as for me I like to hunt...I can see myself lying in the grass looking over the knoll..down into the field...and there it is. I bring the cross hairs into focus and draw a bead onto...a head of lettuce. Now where is the sport in that?
Coram Deo
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-12-18 02:01, Steven Steele wrote:
...as for me I like to hunt...I can see myself lying in the grass looking over the knoll..down into the field...and there it is. I bring the cross hairs into focus and draw a bead onto...a head of lettuce. Now where is the sport in that?

Yeah, especially when you can whack 'em from a riding lawnmower while eating a double cheeseburger.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
"i am a veggetarian not because I love animals, but because I hate plants"

who said that?
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Vegetarianism » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL