The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2002 entrée: Dean Dill » » Blizzard... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Georgia Boy
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Georgia Boy
Hey Dean, what can you tell me about Blizzard? I'm ready to get it now, it sounds like The Invisible Deck, except that the cards can be examined by the spectator. Is this true? Is there a lot of finger-numbing sleights I'll have to already be knowledgable of in order to perform? Thanks for your time!
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
YES! It makes the Invisible Deck look really bad.... I have had Blizzard for 3 months now and I love it! Although it has a high price on it, it is worth it, and after you get it you can make ones yourself....

The effect is this: you ask a spectator to name any card out loud. Lets say they say 3 of spades. You remove that and all the three's, and then you tell them to mix them up face down without looking at them. After they are done mixing them up you ask them
"Which do you think is the three of spades. When they guess it, you start flipping over all the blank cards in the deck and then they are dying to know if the card face down is the three of spades and it is!!

Cheers,
Max

BTW, no sleights at all
white hats rule.
kermitthefrog
View Profile
Regular user
France
128 Posts

Profile of kermitthefrog
Well, that's sort of right; but there is a major "move" (if not a sleight) required during the trick that I think requires some nerve, and that if spotted does ruin the trick (when the trick was demonstrated for me at a magic store for the first time, I saw the move out of the corner of my eye and it spoiled things). Any thoughts from Dean on carrying it off most effectively?
metaphyzix
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of metaphyzix
I actually saw Dean perform this two consecutive times and he fried me both times... of course, this was before I knew the dirty little secret.

Kermit, maybe the guy at the shop didn't have Deans sense of misdirection Smile
Dean Dill
View Profile
1947 - 2015
248 Posts

Profile of Dean Dill
For those of you who have the trick, please look at the instructions once again. There are two methods that make the trick work. The first one I used for a long time and decided that I would have an alternate method just in case the first one failed. I found that the second method works the best. Many people missed the second method. I urge those of you who have it to read again.
This trick does not involve difficult sleight of hand. Dean
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
Quote:
On 2002-11-13 12:52, kermitthefrog wrote:

Well, that's sort of right; but there is a major "move" (if not a sleight) required during the trick that I think requires some nerve, and that if spotted does ruin the trick (when the trick was demonstrated for me at a magic store for the first time, I saw the move out of the corner of my eye and it spoiled things). Any thoughts from Dean on carrying it off most effectively?

I have demonstrated the trick at my shop many times and have never had anyone catch the move. It works great!

Dean, is that move original with you, or did you base it on something else?

Thanks,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
http://www.callinsmagic.com
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
Zach Allen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Zach Allen
Dean,
I must say that Blizzard is one of my favorite effects to perform. Was the "move" in Blizzard originated by you? Thanks.

Zach
Check out all 6 of my e-books!
The Magic of Zach Allen

Also, here is a free PDF of ideas:
Starlit Circles
Dean Dill
View Profile
1947 - 2015
248 Posts

Profile of Dean Dill
The move you are talking about in Blizzard was totally my brainchild. It wasn't until after I had put it out that I was approached by a few others who mentioned that John Carney, and Bill Goodwin had played around with the same principal. I contacted both of them and was told that my application was definately my own. I was happy to hear that. It is an awkward situation when you come up with something you think is totally original and someone tells you that it has either already been done or is published somewhere. That is why is it a good idea to check things out before going forward with it. At least the best you can. Good question Zach, Dean
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2002 entrée: Dean Dill » » Blizzard... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL