The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Rings? What do you guys do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I chose to ask this here because it pertains to this type of magic, The close-up/Strolling/Walk around guys.

Rings do you guys where them while performing? I don't jut mean for coins, I mean anything that involve finger palms or something that might talk when concealed? I ask this because I am currently working on my Doc Eason 'All Screwed Up" routine And for those that don't know it, it utilizes nuts and bolts. Well I find that my wedding ring gets in the way. So I was curious do you guy where them at all or take them off when you need too. If so would that lead the spectator to wonder why you took it off?

On a side note, anyones wives get angry about it?
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I always wear my wedding band. My wife Regina is the source of all the real magic in my life so if I cannot work around a move without the ring talking, I don't do that particular move.

I have found that with practice you can greatly minimize this problem. I can even do spellbound in my left hand, by slightly lowering my ring finger and carefully positioning the coin to keep it from talking. I have performed Doc's routine, it certainly can be worked with a wedding band on. Just takes concentrated practice.

Sometimes you can use ring talking to your advantage... In Mark Jenest's "Short Hop" coin routine, one coin is removed and tapped on the wedding band as a convincer that there's a second coin in the hand. It's a bold move but it works great!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Hi Paisa:Merry Christmas!
I wear three rings at all times:An ancient Roman ring on my right pinkie;a Native American turquoise ring on my right ring finger;A antique heavy silver GENIE ring on my left pinkie.They serve no function other then fit my character.I usually wear a Dinosaur tooth or other fossil on a lanyard around my neck.People often comment on these items and can lead to some interesting conversations..this is part of my entertainment personna. (I have been called a walking museum!)Big Fun!
I am so use to wearing the rings that they do not interfere at all!By the way,I do my version of "all screwed up" all the time(I use 3/4 in.carriage bolts and nuts).I find the larger hardware is more startling and even easier to handle.
Paisa,Thanks again for your service to our country.Have a great 2006!
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Mediocre the Great
Interesting. Now let me ask you where did you get your Nuts and Bolts. I ordered through him but now I believe they are using Much larger ones then the one in his performance But being stationed in Iceland right now I would have to order on line. That might be part of the issue as well.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Paisa:Your nuts&bolts will go out next week my friend.Just PM me again with your address.

Rich
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Paleo-it seems like it was awefully nice of you to help Paisa find his nuts Smile
Logic Defied
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
SSSHHHH!!! I'm in a Dont ask don't Tell situation!!!!
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I don't like wearing my ring when I am performing with other metals. Not because of talking, but because it beats my ring up and I hate that. Sounds like a crazy reason, but that is that.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I rarely take it off. I work around it or with it. When I'm asked to do some magic and I don't have any coins I do a one ring flurry using moves taught in my book. Using the ring to simulate the sound of a coin in the hand was written up in my new book. I'm sure others have discovered that feature themselves.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4309495
Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
I have two rings, my wedding ring and the ring I use for 'ring and string'. If I'm doing a performance I will generally take my wedding ring off, because the coins will talk. For casual magic I just work through it and I've never had a problem. The 'ring and string' ring I move from my ring finger to my little finger 'as part of the routining', which greatly minimizes the problems.
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Get a divorce????!!!!!
Dave Lewis
View Profile
New user
Anaheim, California
83 Posts

Profile of Dave Lewis
I used to ditch my wedding ring when trying coin work. I say "trying" coin work because I SUCK at it and sounded like I had a coffee can full of fender washers taped to my forearm whenever I handled coins while wearing the ring. Now that I am so fat and couldn't get the ring off without hand lotion, soap, transmission fluid and hydraulic machinery, I try to work around it, much the way Mr. Mediocre mentions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Rings? What do you guys do? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL